Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:46 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,197,133 times

Advertisements

I'm confused, I've seen liberal media say he was a far right Hitler, now he's not even conservative? I believe they said Reagan wasn't a conservative also, it's all nonsense from the far right talk show hosts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 07:47 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,302,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
I'm confused, I've seen liberal media say he was a far right Hitler, now he's not even conservative? I believe they said Reagan wasn't a conservative also, it's all nonsense from the far right talk show hosts.
The media tarred and feathered Reagan. They said he would start WWIII and called him a war monger, called him Hitler, called him a fascist, said his policies would be the end of America, made fun of him constantly, said he was racist, accused him of being a KKK sympathizer, said he was a washed up actor TV personality, just to start with.
Does any of this sound familiar?

Old 04-22-2016, 07:51 AM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Trump is actually a huggable political chameleon. He will be whatever he needs to be. According to his campaign manager, he only acted like he did to secure the votes of the loony wing in the primaries.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:18 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,962,271 times
Trump is a liberal Democrat, I would love it if he moved to the center. Unfortunately he just keeps moving leftward.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:20 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,962,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
This is going to be hysterical to watch, especially Hannity.
Hannity is the biggest Trump toadie of them all.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:01 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
Trump today has made it clear on three different issues his positions.

Today he said he supports the idea of transgender people using bathrooms of their "new" gender.

Today later he said he would absolutely raise taxes on the rich.

Today he has also said he wants reposition the GOP platform on abortion, for cases of rape, incest etc (to be fair he's always had this position).

Cenk Uygur of the youngturks and many others believe Donald Trump the whole time has just been "crowd surfing" constantly tossing red meat to republican base, telling what they want to hear, in order to get their votes and then completely change positions for the GE once's he's the nominee.

I have no idea if any of this is true, but if it is, it will absolutely be hilarious to watch the reactions of Hannity, Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham who literally think he is the "new Reagan conservative! v2.0".

Is this the start of Trumps political move to the center then? I mean we're out of the south, after next week all we have next are a few mid western states to vote and California. I suspect we may not hear many "did I forget to denounce the KKK oops" lines again. He appreciates the votes though.

Surely he's not going to crap all over his base??
This is how our process works. The GOP candidates cater to the right and even far-right of their base to gain the nomination, and the Democratic candidates cater to the left and even far-left of their base to gain the nomination. It's harder for the more established politicians who have a record to do this, than for those whose record is relatively sparse, and so less locked-in to positions on the political landscape.

Trump is not blazing new trails in now becoming more centrist, he's following the well-established pathway.

What makes this interesting is that Trump, with no real political record, was able to dance with the far-right base, even though what little political record he had was way to the left of them, and will likely be able to count on their support going forward, even as he takes more centrist positions, because they are deeply vested in him, and still identify him as an outsider, which is their only hope of change.

Likewise, the far-left base rallied around Sanders, who has an extensive political record of being further left than most/all of his cohorts in the Senate. Sanders, though, has no reason to modify his positions to be more centrist. He has little hope of actually winning the nomination, and I've believed from day one that his real ambition was to drag Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party with her further to the left. Hillary Clinton actually leans to the right as a Democrat, she's a bit to the right of Bill, and so Sanders actually made her more of a centrist by running against her..

Old 04-22-2016, 09:13 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,087,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The pivot is in, I believe this is a product of the new blood he injected in his campaign, someone who wasnt part of the initial build up had to tell him, its time to pivot now not after the convention, I think his intention was to keep pounding the populist drum until he wraps up the nomination then pivot for the GE, its clear that he wont get the needed delegates to win outright so he has to pivot now, he has to convince people that he can win the GE, he has to play ball with the establishment, I always thought he was going to be too far gone to pivot you could tell by the way the primaries where going that no one out of that bunch (except for Kasich) could pivot in time, either way this has been and continues to be a DNC's wet dream.
You are exactly right. The pivot has begun:

"Donald Trump's chief lieutenants told skeptical Republican leaders Thursday that the GOP front-runner has been "projecting an image" so far in the 2016 primary season and "the part that he's been playing is now evolving" in a way that will improve his standing among general election voters.

The message, delivered behind closed doors in a private briefing, is part of the campaign's intensifying effort to convince party leaders Trump will moderate his tone in the coming months to help deliver big electoral gains this fall, despite his contentious ways."

Trump team tells GOP he has been 'projecting an image'

Old 04-22-2016, 10:23 AM

6,619 posts, read 5,016,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This is how our process works. The GOP candidates cater to the right and even far-right of their base to gain the nomination, and the Democratic candidates cater to the left and even far-left of their base to gain the nomination. It's harder for the more established politicians who have a record to do this, than for those whose record is relatively sparse, and so less locked-in to positions on the political landscape.

Trump is not blazing new trails in now becoming more centrist, he's following the well-established pathway.

What makes this interesting is that Trump, with no real political record, was able to dance with the far-right base, even though what little political record he had was way to the left of them, and will likely be able to count on their support going forward, even as he takes more centrist positions, because they are deeply vested in him, and still identify him as an outsider, which is their only hope of change.

Likewise, the far-left base rallied around Sanders, who has an extensive political record of being further left than most/all of his cohorts in the Senate. Sanders, though, has no reason to modify his positions to be more centrist. He has little hope of actually winning the nomination, and I've believed from day one that his real ambition was to drag Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party with her further to the left. Hillary Clinton actually leans to the right as a Democrat, she's a bit to the right of Bill, and so Sanders actually made her more of a centrist by running against her..
I think the interesting thing was that Trump did that on steroids, he swung faaaar to the right all the way to white nationalist and now it's a long way back to the center to the extend that he couldn't even wait to do it after the primaries.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:26 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,758,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I think the interesting thing was that Trump did that on steroids, he swung faaaar to the right all the way to white nationalist and now it's a long way back to the center to the extend that he couldn't even wait to do it after the primaries.

Regulated borders and a reversal of the march towards globalism might be nationalism but it isn't white nationalism.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 AM

27,668 posts, read 16,160,831 times
cenk? young turk? cred gone, hung up. goodbye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections