Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 11:45 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Would it be safe for a major republican candidate to show up to inner city Detroit and point to LBJ's "model city" neighborhood that got pumped full of money in 1968 and by 1990 had lost 63% of its population. It is literally the worst stretch in the entire state of Michigan.
Wasn't this part of the post 2012 election GOP autopsy? So much for that- Republicans would rather double down on divisive bigotry and nativism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 03:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Poor people want to vote..But state laws make it impossible to vote with their "Poll Tax" agenda.. So Bernie may be expressing exactly what has been going on FAR too long! !!
What poll tax? Most states charge $10 or less for an photo ID and will subsidize the cost if that person can't afford to pay. In fact, do you remember the national protest when Alabama closed some DMV locations in rural areas? I don't live there but, from what I understand, it was not to prevent poor Blacks from voting, as the media reported, but to save money. The state re-opened many of those offices, so public outrage did help. However, Alabama offers free photo IDs to vote and has online registration. Here's the [URL="http://www.alabamavoterid.com/getfreephotovoterid.aspx"]Alabama site[/URL].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Independent voters cannot vote in many of the primaries..SO, come general election..WHO knows what fallout there will be!!
Half-true. Bernie Sanders has been pushing this, but he has no explanation when it comes to states in which he lost that have open primaries like Ohio and Illinois. Alabama and Georgia have open primaries, but he said "they're in the South." Same with Arkansas. Why wasn't he crying foul in Colorado? Maine? AFAIK, those states have closed primaries. Is it because he won?

Yes, I do believe income is somewhat related to the number of voters. However, no matter what statistics people show me, I'm still convinced most of it is attitude. If people really want to vote, they will get an ID. It's just that the majority of people simply don't give a hoot any more. If people say it's because of poverty, I wonder what percentage of those same people applied for government housing, Medicaid or food assistance? I'm not saying it should be difficult to vote, but I do think some people don't bother to make the effort because they are frustrated or apathetic, not because of voter suppression. Maybe we should call it voter depression.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Takes a big exasperated sigh and says...no.

Responds with undeserved patience... certainly not in significant numbers to justify the meme nor any more or less than farmers, petroleum companies, or any other subsidized sector of the economy.
If you admit poor people do vote, then you cant argue that they dont argue for free ****..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections