Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 05:22 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times

Advertisements

And he stated it as a fact.

How will this affect him especially amongst the ",white working class poor" who vote and vote Republican.

Bernie Sanders: 'Poor People Don't Vote...That's Just a Fact' - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 05:25 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
It won't affect Sanders at all because Republicans don't vote in Democratic primaries, even in open primary states. They vote for their own party's candidates.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
and white people with jobs dont vote either

Old 04-23-2016, 06:08 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
"All right, there are 47 percent who are with [Obama], who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for [Obama]no matter what." - Mitt Romney
At least Romney gave them credit for voting. Sanders thinks they are deadbeats.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:11 PM

34,056 posts, read 17,071,203 times
It won't affect him much, as he is toast anyway.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:51 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Poor people don't vote. He's right. As was Romney. Except Romney was a rich guy telling his donors and Bernie is the candidate of the poor stating a problem with his constituency.

If they voted they'd have a voice, just like if Millennials voted they'd have a voice. Neither do.

Old People vote and they are represented.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Poor people don't vote. He's right. As was Romney. Except Romney was a rich guy telling his donors and Bernie is the candidate of the poor stating a problem with his constituency.

If they voted they'd have a voice, just like if Millennials voted they'd have a voice. Neither do.

Old People vote and they are represented.
Disagree. Bernie is wealthy, so he doesn't live with poor people. However, I just know from experience that people living on very low incomes vote.

He just visited public housing developments in New York (after Hillary Clinton did it) So is he saying those people didn't vote on April 19 or they just didn't vote for him?

By the way, I live a very simple life. I drive a 10 year old car, I use/wear stuff until it wears out and I eat all my leftovers. However, an income of $10,000 isn't just poor, it's destitute.

Maybe it's true that some poor people don't vote. It's also true some very rich people don't vote. Also, lazy people don't vote. Ignorant people don't vote. People who have given up on the government don't vote.

Regarding Mitt Romney, I couldn't stand the man, but he never said 47% of the people don't vote. He was saying in the infamous speech that they wouldn't be voting for a Republican.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:55 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Poor people want to vote..But state laws make it impossible to vote with their "Poll Tax" agenda.. So Bernie may be expressing exactly what has been going on FAR too long! !!

Why should a person who has been voting for over 4 decades...ALL of a sudden have to prove she was born in USA and a citizen..even though they have had the same address for over half century? WHY?? unless they had a Gun Licence..likelihood of obtaining voter registration verification..is Slim to NONE!!

Why is that??? Is Voter Fraud ever been proven? NOPE..But it sure has been promoted for the past 2 decades!! It goes beyond ID..CUtting backing on days to vote/polling stations/refusal of pre-voting privilege/ long long lines due to cutting back on # of polling stations in poor area's ( while affluent's get dozens available within walking distance ) Then of course some idiot Repub's get caught actually stating why they are going to win!! LOL..Because of the new laws preventing those pesky liberal voters LOL

Independent voters cannot vote in many of the primaries..SO, come general election..WHO knows what fallout there will be!!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:20 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
And he stated it as a fact.

How will this affect him
I guess they won't be voting for him!

Old 04-23-2016, 09:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Disagree. Bernie is wealthy, so he doesn't live with poor people. However, I just know from experience that people living on very low incomes vote.

He just visited public housing developments in New York (after Hillary Clinton did it) So is he saying those people didn't vote on April 19 or they just didn't vote for him?

By the way, I live a very simple life. I drive a 10 year old car, I use/wear stuff until it wears out and I eat all my leftovers. However, an income of $10,000 isn't just poor, it's destitute.

Maybe it's true that some poor people don't vote. It's also true some very rich people don't vote. Also, lazy people don't vote. Ignorant people don't vote. People who have given up on the government don't vote.

Regarding Mitt Romney, I couldn't stand the man, but he never said 47% of the people don't vote. He was saying in the infamous speech that they wouldn't be voting for a Republican.
1) he is no Romney
2) A simple Google Search confirms my post and negates a lot of yours. Relative to other groups poor people don't vote. Confirming Bernies point. A well-known point.
Voter Turnout By Income, 2008 US Presidential Election | Demos
3) I'm not sure what your personal life has to do with voting demographic other than a random anecdote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections