Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:28 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times

Advertisements

I feel remiss for not having started a thread after I voted in the Texas primary. I do not know what I was thinking. Indeed, I now note that a lot of posters have similarly failed to start a thread to report that they have voted.

However, I will note that it was interesting that the OP was able to carry a list of HIS delegates into the voting booth. Some states used to prohibit carrying 'cheat sheets' into the booth, one had to vote from memory. I think most now allow it, and focus more on not allowing cell phones in the booth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 08:41 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I feel remiss for not having started a thread after I voted in the Texas primary. I do not know what I was thinking. Indeed, I now note that a lot of posters have similarly failed to start a thread to report that they have voted.

However, I will note that it was interesting that the OP was able to carry a list of HIS delegates into the voting booth. Some states used to prohibit carrying 'cheat sheets' into the booth, one had to vote from memory. I think most now allow it, and focus more on not allowing cell phones in the booth.
I don't know if other states do the same, but in CA they mail you a sample ballet. You can use it as a cheat sheet when you actually go in and vote.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I see that Pennsylvania also has a odd procedure on the Republican side. The three contenders are vying for 17 bound delegates. There will be an additional 54 delegates (3 from each district) attending the Cleveland convention, whom are utterly 'unbound'.

As one such unbound delegate said she is for Mr. Trump, regardless of whom the people in her district vote for. If the district goes for Cruz, she will nevertheless vote for Trump.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/us...delegates.html

There was another link to an article on Yahoo about this woman, but I cannot find it again.

I also saw where Mr. Trump tweeted his thanks to the woman, which I cannot link to here. I am a little surprised that he did not 'blast' her for not following the will of the people of her district. Yet, such are the rules.

However, I imagine Mr. Trump will win her district, and so there will be no issue about the people's will being thwarted.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:19 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Yeah what a great idea. Let's start a thread every time we vote. November 8 should be interesting.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
After 11 months of debating, discussing and fighting and after thousands of posts and tens of hours watching just about every Trump rally, I voted for him today. Voting for him was easy but I am glad I went in with a list of HIS delegates in hand. It would have been a crapshoot otherwise. It is a disgrace the way the PA GOP is trying to hide and protect delegates' affiliations. I suspect the kind of people who vote in the primary know who they are voting for too.

My wife and I voted for Trump today. Turnout was still pretty light; but heavier than past elections. We did vote before the lunchtime crowd. There was only one supporter outside pushing Bernie.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Do I understand this correctly?: You have to vote for the presidential candidate and delegates?
YES!! You didn't know that either, did you? The corrupt PA GOP tired hard to hide this from the voters but Trump shined the light on them.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:59 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Voting for him was easy but I am glad I went in with a list of HIS delegates in hand. It would have been a crapshoot otherwise. It is a disgrace the way the PA GOP is trying to hide and protect delegates' affiliations. I suspect the kind of people who vote in the primary know who they are voting for too.
What does the bolded mean? What "kind of people" do you think vote in primaries and what is there to suspect? I would hope they know whom they are voting for.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:05 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
YES!! You didn't know that either, did you? The corrupt PA GOP tired hard to hide this from the voters but Trump shined the light on them.
Thank you. Seems weird. In Michigan, we just voted for president, not delegates. Isn't it redundant?

Old 04-26-2016, 12:27 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
Quote:
I also saw where Mr. Trump tweeted his thanks to the woman, which I cannot link to here. I am a little surprised that he did not 'blast' her for not following the will of the people of her district. Yet, such are the rules.
In most districts there are enough delegates so that you could choose to never vote delegates that are dedicated. I was only willing to vote for district winner or trump delegates so I only voted for one delegate.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:03 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Congrats!! I'll do the same here in CA in June.
And I will cancel you out in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections