Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 07:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Once again, Buffett's salary at Berkshire is $100,000. That doesn't mean that his total income is $100,000. Buffett owns millions of shares of all kinds of companies. Obviously, just his dividend income far exceeds $100,000. Buffett admits that he earns millions in capital gains. Buffett wouldn't be eligible for the NYS STAR program if he lived in NY.
Actually Buffet owns millions of shares of BRK, which doesnt pay a dividends, which is why his wealth grows WITHOUT PAYING TAXES..

He actually stopped paying a dividend for the very reason of avoiding taxes..

He wouldnt qualify though because he receives income from sitting on other boards, but he very easily could take stock as payment and not a salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think it is possible that Trump pays taxes fair and square and uses legitimate loopholes to pay as little taxes as possible. I have absolutely no problems with that.

The real issue, for me, and I am very confident in saying this: Trump is NOT as fabulously wealthy as he pretends to be. He's a liar and an exaggerator. I remember reading a fairly recent article in Forbes Magazine that estimated his combined wealth at 1 billion dollars ... but Trump was going around bragging that he was worth over 10 billion dollars. You might say "so, not a big difference 1 billion or 10 billion" ... but I'm going to be honest and will tell you my income is about $50,000 a year and my beautiful Victorian house here in University is worth about $600,000 (it jumped up 15% in value in just the past year). That would be like me bragging I make a half million dollars a year and I own a six million dollar house.
Unless you have verifiable links that the 1 billion and 10 billion numbers occurred at the same time, I call BS.
Even then, most of Trump's net worth is probably attributable to real estate values which change weekly. And a net worth estimate in 2009 after the crash will be much different than 2016. But thanks for the story ...

Old 05-15-2016, 07:57 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think it is possible that Trump pays taxes fair and square and uses legitimate loopholes to pay as little taxes as possible. I have absolutely no problems with that.

The real issue, for me, and I am very confident in saying this: Trump is NOT as fabulously wealthy as he pretends to be. He's a liar and an exaggerator. I remember reading a fairly recent article in Forbes Magazine that estimated his combined wealth at 1 billion dollars ... but Trump was going around bragging that he was worth over 10 billion dollars. You might say "so, not a big difference 1 billion or 10 billion" ... but I'm going to be honest and will tell you my income is about $50,000 a year and my beautiful Victorian house here in University is worth about $600,000 (it jumped up 15% in value in just the past year). That would be like me bragging I make a half million dollars a year and I own a six million dollar house.
I just checked, as of today, Forbes has Trump's net worth at 4.5 billion.

Forbes Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The fact that he is looking for financial support and won't self-fund the campaign speaks volumes.
I think you have the wrong thread.

But what do you think that is says? That Trump will fund his general election campaign like the other candidates.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Unless you have verifiable links that the 1 billion and 10 billion numbers occurred at the same time, I call BS.
Even then, most of Trump's net worth is probably attributable to real estate values which change weekly. And a net worth estimate in 2009 after the crash will be much different than 2016. But thanks for the story ...
Exactly. Buffets wealth has grown 10 billion since Obama has been sworn in, and Trumps own $10 billion dollar evaluation, is from $3 billion of it being the value of his name, and the marketability of it. The figure could be widely inflated, who knows, but it doesnt matter at all.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:03 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I just checked, as of today, Forbes has Trump's net worth at 4.5 billion.

Forbes Welcome
I stand to be corrected!

Okay, he is worth $4.5 billion.

Still isn't the richest man in America, nor is he in the top ten.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:22 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
The fact that he is looking for financial support and won't self-fund the campaign speaks volumes.
Feed them enough bs and they eventually think they are eating sirloin!
It’s worth noting a couple more caveats. First, Trump’s self-financing only really picked up in the last three months of 2015. From the start of his campaign in April through October last year, individual contributions made up about 67 percent of total money raised for his campaign.

Other media outlets who looked at this claim before the most recent FEC filings concluded that Trump’s claim was inaccurate because, at the time, most of his funding was coming from individual contributions.

But in the last quarter, Trump gave his campaign a $10.8 million loan, turning that balance around.
Is Donald Trump self-funding his campaign? Sort of | PolitiFact

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/c...p?id=N00023864

Old 05-15-2016, 08:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually Buffet owns millions of shares of BRK, which doesnt pay a dividends, which is why his wealth grows WITHOUT PAYING TAXES..

He actually stopped paying a dividend for the very reason of avoiding taxes..

He wouldnt qualify though because he receives income from sitting on other boards, but he very easily could take stock as payment and not a salary.
This is true.

Warren Buffet's (big Obama supporter) who runs BRK.A and BRK.B does not pay a dividends because it's taxable income. By not paying taxes he is keeping more money and re-invests to increase wealth. As I've said, the rich know that taxes reduce the amount you can invest, re-invest and grow wealth.

Berkshire Hathaway distributes money directly to shareholders though its generous stock buybacks. The company pays up to 120% of book value when it repurchases stock from shareholders. This benefits investors in two ways. Shareholders also increase their ownership stake (increase value) as stock buybacks reduce the total number of outstanding shares. If stock owners need cash it allows them to cash in some or all of their company stock at a premium (controlling)

Last edited by petch751; 05-15-2016 at 08:47 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 08:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Yea, maybe he should claim he is dead broke like Hillary. Then you can attack his wealth from the other direction.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:53 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Wait! What? Trump Only Makes $500k a Year?

This explains a lot, including why Donald Trump doesn't want to release his tax returns and why he keeps getting audited. Trump has been qualifying for a tax rate that only applies to those with income less than $500K per year - for years. But he keeps professing to be so rich so when he makes the claim for the lower income tax rate, they don't believe it and make him prove his income is below $500K.

It also explains why he said he was financing his entire campaign but really structured it as a loan and is now going back on that.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Wait! What? Trump Only Makes $500k a Year?

This explains a lot, including why Donald Trump doesn't want to release his tax returns and why he keeps getting audited. Trump has been qualifying for a tax rate that only applies to those with income less than $500K per year - for years. But he keeps professing to be so rich so when he makes the claim for the lower income tax rate, they don't believe it and make him prove his income is below $500K.

It also explains why he said he was financing his entire campaign but really structured it as a loan and is now going back on that.
He never said he'd finance his whole campaign.. Some just make **** up..

And of course his income is kept at under $500K per year.. he's not an idiot.. he doesnt need more since most of his income would fall under the companies, which AGAIN, would not show up on a personal income tax return, it would show up as a business asset appreciation spreadsheet, which he's already released..

The left continues to dipslay their ignorance of how things really work.. constantly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections