Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,539,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Which would be over 500% of what he got in 2012.

Mick
Yeah but the perfect storm is brewing, this may be the year the LP gets enough press to get their platform out there in the MSM (which the Donald so indignantly resents).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:03 AM

1,100 posts, read 637,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Yeah but the perfect storm is brewing, this may be the year the LP gets enough press to get their platform out there in the MSM (which the Donald so indignantly resents).
Which is funny - considering all of the free press he received from MSM.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:03 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,624,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
You mean the guy who was elected governor can only get 5%? Weld got 72% of the vote in Massachussetts when he was governor, I believe that is their historical record. Their support is way over 5%, the question is can they translate that into votes.
Weld will not impact Johnson's performance, and is thoroughly irrelevant.
Johnson's range, from 1.5-5% will depend on other factors.
Those are national tallies, not Electoral College outcomes.
The Johnson/Weld ticket has absolutely no chance of winning a state.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,378,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
That may end up being true but the same was said about Trump this time last year.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,314,678 times
I live in a purple swing state and I definitely will get polled in the fall. I'm tempted to say I'm supporting Gary Johnson just to help him get to 15%. I would not vote for a LP candidate, but I would be happy to see them get a place at the table.

As to whether they pull more from Dems or from GOP, I think that's highly debatable. I personally feel they are closer to GOP with two former GOP govs on their ticket, and will take more of those votes once Dems start to unify (which is what explains Trump's current bump).

Old 06-01-2016, 09:49 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,648,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I live in a purple swing state and I definitely will get polled in the fall. I'm tempted to say I'm supporting Gary Johnson just to help him get to 15%. I would not vote for a LP candidate, but I would be happy to see them get a place at the table.

As to whether they pull more from Dems or from GOP, I think that's highly debatable. I personally feel they are closer to GOP with two former GOP govs on their ticket, and will take more of those votes once Dems start to unify (which is what explains Trump's current bump).
The issue is the total disgust with the two major candidates. Just like with Sanders, they could be a huge groundswell of support for third-party candidates. It is happening all over Europe where long entrenched parties are being upended by far left and far right candidates by a populace that is totally disgusted with the crooks running their governments. And I mean this literally.

The question is for how long will the American public permit crooks to keep stealing their money by the $trillions just as they are doing everywhere else in the world.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
The issue is the total disgust with the two major candidates. Just like with Sanders, they could be a huge groundswell of support for third-party candidates. It is happening all over Europe where long entrenched parties are being upended by far left and far right candidates by a populace that is totally disgusted with the crooks running their governments. And I mean this literally.

The question is for how long will the American public permit crooks to keep stealing their money by the $trillions just as they are doing everywhere else in the world.
Probably a few more election cycles - until the old establishment baby boomer hags die off and the 50 and younger crowd become the majority of voters.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,007,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Its not about winning electoral votes or a state even. The simple act of getting 5% is what will give the Libertarian Party the ability to also receive matching FEC funds for 2020. I am hopeful that if this happens, we won't be stuck with so many god awful candidates, and could actually have likable and viable candidates to pick from.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Its not about winning electoral votes or a state even. The simple act of getting 5% is what will give the Libertarian Party the ability to also receive matching FEC funds for 2020. I am hopeful that if this happens, we won't be stuck with so many god awful candidates, and could actually have likable and viable candidates to pick from.
That's the bigger picture for non establishment voters. Establishment voters don't understand how important is.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:32 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,314,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
That's the bigger picture for non establishment voters. Establishment voters don't understand how important is.
That's because it's not important to them. The major party candidates don't accept these funds because they don't want to be constrained by the limits that come along with them. Not saying that this is good or bad, although I suppose it would actually be a more libertarian approach to let private fundraising be the sole funding mechanism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections