Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:09 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,336,963 times

Advertisements

I give the credit to Clinton's campaign staff for the big win in California.

Quote:
As voting in California approached, the contest between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton appeared to be tightening significantly. There were some weird differences in the polls, as we noted last week, but three polls conducted at the end of May or in early June showed the race within two points -- after Clinton had led by nearly 10 points in the Real Clear Politics average early last month.

On Tuesday, Clinton won by nearly 13 points.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lls-suggested/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 04:24 PM

17,354 posts, read 11,316,686 times
It's an easy answer. The media had already declared her the Dem nominee with more than enough delegates. In many people's minds, there was no longer any point in voting for Bernie and the primary became nothing more than a beauty contest for her (I know, hard to believe).
The vast majority of people will not vote for a candidate that has already been eliminated. Next question please....

Old 06-08-2016, 04:29 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,558,422 times
Old friend of mine said he was undecided but since she already won he wouldn't bother voting. Have to wonder how many people had the same feeling.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:29 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,133,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's an easy answer. The media had already declared her the Dem nominee with more than enough delegates. In many people's minds, there was no longer any point in voting for Bernie and the primary became nothing more than a beauty contest for her (I know, hard to believe).
The vast majority of people will not vote for a candidate that has already been eliminated. Next question please....
Except that no Sanders supporters were accepting that Bernie has been defeated (Christ, they still haven't), and in their deranged mind, winning CA would have been life and death in "convincing" (death threats) the super delegates to vote for Sanders.

Mick

Old 06-08-2016, 04:32 PM

25,983 posts, read 22,176,776 times
Quote:
Exactly. My other thought is that money can go a long way in tweaking a vote. I mean, if there is a way to cheat the system, the Clintons always find it. Works for me, Bernie continues to poll better against Trump and Trump continues to climb in the polls. I don't think I need to explain where this goes.

Hillary still has "other" pressing problems. Bernie was minor in the scope of things.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:34 PM

17,354 posts, read 11,316,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Except that no Sanders supporters were accepting that Bernie has been defeated (Christ, they still haven't), and in their deranged mind, winning CA would have been life and death in "convincing" (death threats) the super delegates to vote for Sanders.

Mick
Except, up until the day before yesterday (nice timing), Hillary hadn't gained enough delegates to clinch the nomination. That all changed and people either didn't come out to vote or voted for her because of that. It's like placing a bet on a horse that isn't even running anymore. That's what happened.
Even many Bernie supporters gave up after they were told Hillary was the nominee. There was no more point in voting for him.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:35 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Because AP called the election for Hillary on a Day that nobody even voted.

It depressed the turnout for Bernie.

These kinds of dirty tricks won't work in the general election.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:41 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,247,380 times
If Bernie supporters couldn't be bothered to vote, that's on them, not the media reporting Hillary had enough delegates the day before. There were still important races, particularly the Senate race, that are crucial to getting a progressive agenda enacted. I guess that was less important to them than some bird landing on a podium. It's not like actually getting things passed matters, right?

Old 06-08-2016, 04:48 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
... There were still important races, particularly the Senate race, that are crucial to getting a progressive agenda enacted.....
The progressive agenda is coming from Bernie Sanders, not Hillary.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,564,047 times
Quote:
Yet the excuse we are given for the Trumpster having such a low turnout is that 'well, people already knew he had won'.

Would not that same argument apply to Clinton? HER voters stayed home because they already knew she had won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections