Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:21 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I don't think it's bad, good or whatever. I think it's inevitable. And therefore there is no point in trying to stop it, better start thinking of solutions after accepting the truth.

Well, I don't think that creating more regulations is the best and the only way to deal with it. If America wants to be one step ahead of the so called developing world, we need to be literally ahead - investing in science, technology and intellectual property that can later be sold to the developing countries.
well, a balance can be achieved.

we must make it profitable for U.S. companies to employ workers in this country and produce goods. We should not have to worry about quality jobs leaving the U.S. and rely on foreign companies to provide employment. We need to control foreign trade, as other nations are doing.

Make America investors friendly again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:31 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, a balance can be achieved.

we must make it profitable for U.S. companies to employ workers in this country and produce goods. We should not have to worry about quality jobs leaving the U.S. and rely on foreign companies to provide employment. We need to control foreign trade, as other nations are doing.

Make America investors friendly again.
Why do the goods have to be produced here? Who will be buying these goods? Americans only? Who in the world will pay $100 for something that can be bought from China for $10? I don't think "made in USA" label costs that much, especially not to the foreign consumer who simply won't afford it.

I hope you are not telling me that we, Americans, will only be buying american goods, and we don't care what the rest of the world does. Because that will not make America great.

We need to produce something that can't be produced in China, India or Europe. That what will make us great again.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Why do the goods have to be produced here? Who will be buying these goods? Americans only? Who in the world will pay $100 for something that can be bought from China for $10? I don't think "made in USA" label costs that much, especially not to the foreign consumer who simply won't afford it.

I hope you are not telling me that we, Americans, will only be buying american goods, and we don't care what the rest of the world does. Because that will not make America great.

We need to produce something that can't be produced in China, India or Europe. That what will make us great again.
Nobody is saying that. You seem to be a reasonable poster, so I am going to explain it again

a balance can be ACHIEVED somewhere. Nobody is saying everybody should be buying American goods, (from toilet paper to hair barrette) but a balance can definitely be achieved.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Nobody is saying that. You seem to be a reasonable poster, so I am going to explain it again

a balance can be ACHIEVED somewhere. Nobody is saying everybody should be buying American goods, but a balance can definitely be achieved.
Well, that's too vague of an answer for me. And I know what political solution to this will be: tariffs, regulations etc. And may be some of it will actually help, because you can't just instantly re-train your workforce to design Tesla cars after they've been doing assembly line work for 20-30 years.

What I'm trying to say is that as long as politicians run on the anti-globalist platform and the public is buying it, we won't get anywhere. It's like denying global warming. In the middle ages the Inquisition would fight idea that Earth is going around the sun. We should stop fighting the global world, because we are living in it.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Well, that's too vague of an answer for me. And I know what political solution to this will be: tariffs, regulations etc. And may be some of it will actually help, because you can't just instantly re-train your workforce to design Tesla cars after they've been doing assembly line work for 20-30 years.

What I'm trying to say is that as long as politicians run on the anti-globalist platform and the public is buying it, we won't get anywhere. It's like denying global warming. In the middle ages the Inquisition would fight idea that Earth is going around the sun. We should stop fighting the global world, because we are living in it.
well, as long as it is fair. Nobody says there should be no free trade. Everybody is saying there should be FAIR trade.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
well, as long as it is fair. Nobody says there should be no free trade. Everybody is saying there should be FAIR trade.
Fair trade means paying producers in developing world a price comparable to what is paid for the same goods produced in the developed world ($30 underwear). And since we are still on the Elections forum, I'm going to go back on topic (wouldn't it suck if mods removed our posts because we are off-topic?), and ask which part of any major candidate platform is fair trade as per definition I gave here?

So, yeah, in my utopia Chinese factory workers are being payed US minimum wage, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Fair trade means paying producers in developing world a price comparable to what is paid for the same goods produced in the developed world ($30 underwear). And since we are still on the Elections forum, I'm going to go back on topic (wouldn't it suck if mods removed our posts because we are off-topic?), and ask which part of any major candidate platform is fair trade as per definition I gave here?

So, yeah, in my utopia Chinese factory workers are being payed US minimum wage, but I don't think that's what you meant.
well, trade is a very important topic of election. Or maybe it is not to some.

I don't think this conversation is going anywhere.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:01 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
You can take care of Americans, but with the understanding that globalization is here to stay. Or you can stick your head in the sand and proclaim that manufacturing jobs can be brought back. Well, they aren't coming back. It's important to understand the problem, then you can find a solution (maybe).
Trump with his anti-globalization ideas is misleading Americans. The fact that he held them for 30+ years, while watching the world only becoming more global and actively participating in globalization himself, only confirms the fact that he has you all fooled.
IIRC, aren't you a legal immigrant who has benefited from our generosity? Your own job could end up being outsourced, too.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
well, trade is a very important topic of election. Or maybe it is not to some.

I don't think this conversation is going anywhere.
I think it's because you and I don't have solutions . What I tried to offer is not well thought through, and I'm not an expert in global economy. I think yours were very vague too.
My whole point was that solution can't be found until we face the problem.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:08 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
How can you NOT see it?

The entire success of his campaign has been stoking racial fears among the GOP's white nationalist base.

He's spewed a ton of lies about immigrants, suggested a blatantly unconstitutional ban on Muslims, and he's thrown out a bunch of other absurd proposals like saying all illegals can be forcibly removed.
I don't see it because it doesn't exist.

He didn't say there would be a permanent ban on Muslims. He said it would be a temporary ban until this country can find a way to properly vet them. Stop lying. And, even if there were, just how would it be "unconstitutional"? Our country has every right to decide just who we allow in as immigrants.

What "lies" about "immigrants" has he spewed? Are you one of those who deliberately blurs the lines between illegal aliens and legal immigrants? If so, he has said nothing negative about legal immigrants.

And why can't illegals be "forcibly removed"? They have no right to be here. Not that anyone is talking about kicking in doors and rounding them up. Just make life so difficult for them so they leave on their own accord.

The "GOP's white nationalist base"? That is total garbage.

Do you think it's wrong to put our country first? There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's about time we did just that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections