Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 09:18 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,288,500 times

Advertisements

This woman has been saying this ever since 2009 when Obama was elected. I don't think she was crazy about having a black president, since he had just been elected and had hardly had time to be the "progressive" people claim she was referring to.

Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day

Marsha Blackburn the racist bigot of Tennessee ~ Citizen James

Inmates of the Asylum #3: Marsha Blackburn, the Twit of Tennessee

Marsha Blackburn Urges Tea-Partiers to "Take Country Back" | The Daily Buzz | Memphis News and Events | Memphis Flyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 09:22 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,446,766 times
"Want their country back"

What a meaningless statement...from whom, from what? You know their talking about the black guy in the white house and all the imaginary people he brought with him

Old 07-02-2016, 09:24 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,213,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
No, no...you misunderstand...it's not 'from whom' but rather 'to when'...like the year 1950 or the year 1840.
1857. That's when Chief Justice Roger B. Taney declared that blacks never were and never could be citizens and "had no rights a white man was bound to respect".

Old 07-02-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
When people say they want their country back what they are saying is they want a country where everyone can better themselves and have future to believe in and one where people can leave a better future for their children. Where hard work is rewarded. Where people can feel secure.
I don't take it as anything sinister or 'code words' for something hateful or racist.
Everyone? Really? More like only white, straight, Christian males, but delude yourself if you want.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:51 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,234,433 times
Call me old fashioned, but I agree with what Coolidge said:
“If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final.â€
- - - Calvin Coolidge, Speech on the Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence (1926)
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Calvin_Coolidge

● I prefer the republican form of government, where the people are sovereigns, and the government is their servant. I like it when government secures endowed rights, but can only govern those who consent.

● But if folks want the democratic form of government, where the people are subjects and the government rules them, who am I to say they can't. They can consent, surrender their birthright of sovereignty, freedom and independence, in exchange for civil and political liberties.

● But I am opposed to the widespread use of fraud and disinformation used to trick Americans into volunteering without full disclosure. All those endowed rights go right out the window, once you consent to be governed. (Mandatory civic duties are prima facie evidence that one is no longer sovereign, with endowed rights to life, liberty and absolute ownership of private property.)

● And if 83+ years of two party collectivist servitude under “emergency rules†isn’t enough to persuade them to change, I can’t imagine what will.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I agree with what Coolidge said:
“If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final.â€
- - - Calvin Coolidge, Speech on the Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence (1926)
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Calvin_Coolidge

● I prefer the republican form of government, where the people are sovereigns, and the government is their servant. I like it when government secures endowed rights, but can only govern those who consent.

But if folks want the democratic form of government, where the people are subjects and the government rules them, who am I to say they can't. They can consent, surrender their birthright of sovereignty, freedom and independence, in exchange for civil and political liberties.

● But I am opposed to the widespread use of fraud and disinformation used to trick Americans into volunteering without full disclosure. All those endowed rights go right out the window, once you consent to be governed. (Mandatory civic duties are prima facie evidence that one is no longer sovereign, with endowed rights to life, liberty and absolute ownership of private property.)

● And if 83+ years of two party collectivist servitude under “emergency rules†isn’t enough to persuade them to change, I can’t imagine what will
Whatever are you talking about?

Old 07-02-2016, 11:01 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,462,040 times
Never understood that phrase, *Take the country back.* I mean, back from whom? Who stole America? Who possesses it currently, and what do they want?

Blackburn doesn:t say from whom she wants the country back, nor does she indicate what she wants to do with the government when she *gets it back,* but we can use examples to better understand her whining --

o Blackburn was against the ACA. She said that when Obamacare passed, *freedom died a little.* She worked tirelessly to repeal the ACA and she failed. The SCOTUS affirmed the legality of Obamacare. So she fought, she used the tools available in our democracy -- voting, legislation, appeals to the judiciary. But she failed. America did not want to go back. Who is out of step? Who is trying to drag America back to the 1950s?

o Blackburn and the entire GOP want abortion to be illegal. They used the tools of democracy to get the country back, and they lost. The country is pro-choice, the courts have ruled to keep abortion legal. America didn:t want to *take the country back* on abortion either, so Blackburn and the GOP lost - fair and square.

So I ask this -- the Blackburns and the GOP lost these political battles. Is it possible, just maybe, that America doesn:t want to be dragged back? And that the agenda of th e extremists is not wanted? So maybe she should shut up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
No, no...you misunderstand...it's not 'from whom' but rather 'to when'...like the year 1950 or the year 1840.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Take it back to the last century maybe. She's anti-woman, anti-gay, claims Christians are persecuted and appears to be massively bigoted, so is also a hypocrite.

She's been talking about 'taking the country back' since 2009 so I'm sure she means from Obama. Nasty woman--have never heard her say anything positive--it's all bad.
Do you really believe this, or are you venting? Surely you are venting because no decent human being would act in the manner you alledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
She is impressive and nails it, we the people want our country back, and we want the candidates talking about the issues. She sums it all up very well.
Yeah, sounds good. What has this Republican done to increase worker wages? Has she advocated increasing the min. wage? No. She is against the min. wage. So why she sounds sort of normal, her actions do not support her statements. She:s a liar and people like her have been playing people like you for a couple of decades, and you still buy it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Kinda ironic for a member of a body with one of the lowest approval ratings in the country to be talking about people 'wanting the country back' since Congress is in a large part responsible for the country going 'away' in the first place.
How dare these extremist creatures presume to speak for normal Americans? Blackburn, Trump, the GOP -- to say nothing of the associated freaks and misfits of the radical right like the evangelicals, the Talibangelicals, the NRA etc. The right wing is a marginal force in America, they are the equal of the little stone on gets in their show, an irritant, not a movement. They are crazy.

You referenced the pathetic polling numbers of congress and I did a quick look at other polls. What did I learn?

President Obama --

53% polled view Obama favorably.
46% unfavorably.
7% spread favorable.

----------------------
REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS --

Quinnipiac University. June 21-27, 2016.
"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the Republicans in Congress are handling their job?"
16% approve of Republicans
------------------------

DEMOCRATS IN CONGRESS --

Quinnipiac University. June 21-27, 2016.
"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the Democrats in Congress are handling their job?"
34% approve of Democrats, a margin of better than 2 to 1 for Dems over Pugs.

This country has had it with these freaks and grifters and this November, they will be shown the door. America rejects their vision.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:04 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,764,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
What does "want their country back" mean? Back from whom?
The 0.1%

Old 07-02-2016, 11:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,495,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The 0.1%
If Ms Blackburn cared to show all the campaign donations for her last election, I bet there's a few large contributions from people like Donald Trump.

Who is she kidding?

Old 07-02-2016, 12:38 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
What does "want their country back" mean? Back from whom?
Good question.
I've been hearing this since 1968.

The best I've been able to figure out is those "who want their country back" want something that never existed in the first place. But whatever it is they want back is someplace in the distant past and far away from reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections