Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:37 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
That is my point. NCN asked for a brief summary on his main positions, I post that. I post exactly where you can find the details on how that will be achieved, and you still ask me "what does that mean, specifically?"

I'm done here. I've made my point, and do not need to talk in circles anymore with people who want to engage in argument without bothering to inform themselves about what they want to argue about. If you'd like to learn more, well, you know where to look.

Or just make more Hitler comparisons. Because that makes you look good.
Parents need to take care of their own children. People need to take care of themselves. We are already paying for more than we should have to pay for in the first place. I had to go to work so we could pay the government to feed other people. I could have stayed home with my children if my husband had not had to pay for everyone else. I paid Social Security for years and now I am hearing that it may not be there. I have heard nothing from him assuring that all that money I paid in will be honored and I will get to use it. People are talking as if our Social Security is some kind of charity. When you pay money in for years, it is not welfare. You earned it.

The schools are so horrible that people have to educate their children at home or sent them to a public school where people talk horrible language and nothing is being done to clean up their mouths.

The ONLY thing a government owes its citizens is to keep them safe so they can take care of themselves. I pretty much figured Obama is planning to milk us so he can take care of people that should be taking care of themselves. That is why we are getting no specifics. If he gave specifics he would have many less votes.

It is not our fault that people buy cell phones instead of insurance. I don't own a cell phone, but I have health insurance. People buy a lot of things they don't need and then expect us to pay for necessities. It is not the governments job to take care of everybody.

The only job the constitution gives to the government is to keep us safe.

What does this mean specifically is being asked because the statement doesn't say anything except that it will be different than now. I agree we need some changes. WE need less government not more government. If we do not get less government, we won't have a government or a country. That is the main reason I will not be voting for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 11:50 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Interesting article on the Obama cult. REALLY CREEPY! The fact that someone running for president would have "fans" or refer to people as "followers". Creepy, creepy, creepy. We are voters, voting for a president. Obama isn't God. He isn't Jesus. He isn't Rev. Moon (though his cult is taking on that tone).

Article for your enjoyment (or horror) as the case may be:

Obama mania's got all sides screaming
Hummmm.....let me see the Obama Cult , is that pretty much along the same lines as the President Bush(s) Cult or the President Clinton Cult or even maybe the President Reagan Cult

Old 02-18-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Um, that's the point. There is really nothing extraordinary about him that would elicit this adulation. I've worked with people who were far better educated, had much better resumes, and were better-looking. Give them millions of bucks and the national spotlight and I doubt they'd receive half of the attention Obama does.

So, tell us. What IS so extraordinary about this person? Or do most Americans just not get out much?
What is so special about the man that you voted for G. Bush is there any men in the U.S.A That better Educated and Better Looking than G. Bush , please let me know if you don't think so and I will Wake You From Your Sleep.........

Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
What is so special about the man that you voted for G. Bush is there any men in the U.S.A That better Educated and Better Looking than G. Bush , please let me know if you don't think so and I will Wake You From Your Sleep.........
Uh, would you mind translating or at least using punctuation?

The only thing I got out of that was you think I voted for Bush. Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't. I don't vote on "looks."

Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 AM

413 posts, read 909,732 times
Quote:
Um, that's the point. There is really nothing extraordinary about him that would elicit this adulation. I've worked with people who were far better educated, had much better resumes, and were better-looking. Give them millions of bucks and the national spotlight and I doubt they'd receive half of the attention Obama does.

So, tell us. What IS so extraordinary about this person? Or do most Americans just not get out much?
Better-educated? Well, I work in a building full of PhDs, mostly in cognitive linguistics, etymology, and neurolingual fields, and although every single one of those people is better-educated than Obama, Paul, Clinton, and certainly McCain or Huckabee, I wouldn't want any of them as president. A PhD is a better degree than an MD or JD, but a JD is the one most relevant to political leadership. When that JD is combined with a decent resume, an history of leadership among fellow brilliant law students at Harvard, an editorship of the Harvard Law Review, and a decent track record in the senate, it does mean the guy's probably fit to be a political leader.

There's an "it" factor involved, but there's also leadership, and leadership isn't measured in resume, education, or attractiveness alone. It's a total package. Barack Obama has a fairly solid platform, leadership abilities that have proven successful in mobilizing Americans, and is also as well-educated as any top constitutional lawyer is likely to be.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Look, he courageously appeared on both Oprah and Ellen and that's good enough for me!

I mean, did you see his dance moves with Ellen? I'd like to see Bush do that.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:08 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
It only reminds you of Hitler if the only historical knowledge you own is that day you spent on the couch when the History Channel ran their Hitler Marathon.

I have offered Obama's specifics many times on this board. What happens after I do that?

Crickets.

Oooooooooh! Hitler had crickets following him too!

Seriously, Hitler was elected. He ran and gave speeches about faith, hope, love, CHANGE. He was a good speaker! He started a MOVEMENT! It's almost uncanny and I had totally forgotten about the crickets until you mentioned them...

Old 02-19-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Uh, would you mind translating or at least using punctuation?

The only thing I got out of that was you think I voted for Bush. Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't. I don't vote on "looks."
LOL...no I won't translate for you or improve my punc-tu-a-tion for you , i think that you did vote for G.W. Bush you coming from a republican state Texas and refresh my memory wasn't G.W. Bush your Governor. You mentioned that you knew a lot of men more Educated more intelligent better looking than Barack Obama , and i asked (You ) if you knew anyone more Educated and better qualified and better looking than G.W. Bush , after all he was President of the United States For the last 7 years. I don't require a response from you because I'm sure that you're going to say something flip....or just flat out lie to me.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:28 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
Oh, Rabbi Joe, people only hate Hitler because they have been taught from the womb to do so. It's sheer reflex. Now, it's no skin off my back that people hate him more than Stalin or Mao, but I just think it's amusing.

There are no History Channel marathons devoted to the villanous ancestor-god cult of Hirohito, say, and consequently nobody much cares about whoever he may have killed. Nobody cares about the Armenians or the Hutsus, either. I'm sure this has more to do with the ability of the victors to pull the tender levers of public opinion than with "tyrany" or any deep concern for the evils of anti-semitism. And no, I'm not German. Though they seem way more apologetic about the existence of Hitler than the Japanese do about Hirohito.
Excuse me, but I live near a lot of Armenians. They do care about Armenians and they are not voting for Obama because -- he denied the Armenian genocide then he turned around and said the exact opposite. He's not getting any love here. Politicians must not deny the Armenian genocide to get their vote, however they can claim to support modern Turkey for political reasons.

It's all very political, however they are a major voting block where I live. Our congressman makes trips to Armenia which makes them very happy.

Speaking of the Hitler thing...

It's funny Googling certain words. You can google the combination of "Hitler audacity hope" (without quotes) and it brings up 198,000 references. If you add "Obama" to that combination, you only get 60,700 hits so Hitler must have related to audacity and hope long before Obama came along. If you remove the word "Hitler" and only do the last three words, you get 805,000 hits which means Obama has been more successful with audacity and hope.

If you substitute the word "Pope" for either Hitler or Obama, you only get 19,000 hits (which suggests he is not successful at all with audacity or hope). Remove "Pope" and put in "Santa" and you get 22,000 hits.

Google is lots of fun.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:30 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
With the incredible adversity that black men go through in this country in order to succeed, the very fact that Barack Obama has emerged to this most powerful position is a feat that rivals climbing Mount Everest in street clothes, with people throwing rocks from above and below. His success is the reason why, in head-to-head contests with Hillary, or even when people hear them both at separate times and places, that Hillary pales by comparison. He is a symbol of dignity, strength, perserverence, discipline, intelligence, versatility, character, class, and power. She is more of the incredibly mediocre, laughable in her desperation. I can't tell you how great I feel to be among those who support this brilliant man.

Sorry folks, but a man like this will not come along often. Embrace him.

Obama '08
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections