Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 05:55 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times

Advertisements

Kasich and Cruz are professional politicians, and there's no doubt there is a sour grapes issue with them. Besides, there are a lot more average people disgusted with professional politicians than there are of those that support them. The time is ripe for Trump and other outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 06:34 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
I said that months ago. New Mexico, Utah, Alaska, and maybe big maybe New Hampshire will go Libertarian.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:19 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
It wouldn't be a surprise to me. Utah has always had a strong Libertarian streak.

Those folks like their candidates religious and very conservative. Cruz was right up their alley. Trump, the slick talker in yellow shoes, is not.

Except for Salt Lake City, which has been much more liberal than the rest of the state for decades now. Salt Lake is a booming hi-tech city, and has folks from all over flocking to it because there are a lot of computer jobs. The present mayor is a lesbian woman. Like Nevada, ya got Salt Lake City, and ya got the rest of the state. Two different things entirely.

Idaho, Wyoming and Montana are similar to Utah in their Libertarian leanings, but I expect none of them will vote as much for Johnson. He will get a lot of votes up here, for sure, though, especially from younger voters.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:36 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,901,614 times
Johnson/Weld are also planning to run radio advertisements in a few states, I could see that in Utah, New Mexico, and New Hampshire. Between their campaign and super pacs they have raised over $3 million. In fact they have raised $175K in just a few days. Just for comparisons that is a million more then they raised in 2012 and we still have months to go. The real campaigns are just getting started.

Johnson is going to be a much bigger influence then 2012. I believe he will break 5% by a decent margin, and that will have a substantial effect on the Libertarian Party.

In 2012 I knew only a few people who were planning on voting for Johnson, I've heard a lot of people discussing it this year. From both Democrats and Republicans.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:02 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Kasich and Cruz are professional politicians, and there's no doubt there is a sour grapes issue with them. Besides, there are a lot more average people disgusted with professional politicians than there are of those that support them. The time is ripe for Trump and other outsiders.
Well, politics is about building alliances and getting people to work with you.

I think if Trump wasn't so petty, he would have been able to get Kasich and Cruz to support him. And Trump needs Ohio's votes. Who better to help him get them than Kasich?

Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,901,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, politics is about building alliances and getting people to work with you.

I think if Trump wasn't so petty, he would have been able to get Kasich and Cruz to support him. And Trump needs Ohio's votes. Who better to help him get them than Kasich?
There is a saying, don't burn the bridge after you cross it, but Trump has been burning bridges before he even gets to them. Trumps personal attacks matter, he's lost support from multiple prominent Republicans because of this. I don't care what people think of Jeb, Cruz, Kasich, Romney, or the handful of other Republicans who refuse to get behind Trump, but it does matter. I know multiple Cruz and Carson supporters who won't be voting for Trump, they are staying home or toying with the idea of voting for Johnson.

If and when Trump loses, it will be his own fault.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:14 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Seriously. Imagine that.

According to a new Y2 Analytics poll out of Utah, the state is in a dead heat, sitting at a statistical tie...

Trump: 29%
Clinton: 27%
Johnson: 26%

Adding to that, Trump and Clinton both performed poorly in their respective primaries with Trump actually coming in dead last in Utah. The heavily Mormon red state is recording the two major party candidates with some of their highest negatives in the country. Plus, not only is Gary Johnson within the margin of error of becoming the frontrunner, Mitt Romney has made several favorable comments in recent weeks about the Johnson/Weld ticket. If an endorsement were to come out of Romney's mouth, I have no doubt Utah will flip in November and we will see electoral votes go to the Libertarian Party for the first time in history...
The state is not in a dead heat. This is not a poll of Utah, it is a poll of one congressional district in Utah, i.e 1/4 of Utah.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
This is 100% Trump's fault for attacking Romney who is:

1) Not running against Trump
2) In the same party as Trump

Trump is not the sharpest tool in the shed. Utah typically is solid red.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:23 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The state is not in a dead heat. This is not a poll of Utah, it is a poll of one congressional district in Utah, i.e 1/4 of Utah.
Less than 1/4 of Utah, the Salt Lake valley, controls the entire state with an iron grip. So it all depends on the poll's location. The district in question is probably that district that covers the Salt Lake valley.

The northern 1/3 of the state is where all the people live. The other 2/3 has very low population. The districts reflect that fact.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:19 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Less than 1/4 of Utah, the Salt Lake valley, controls the entire state with an iron grip. So it all depends on the poll's location. The district in question is probably that district that covers the Salt Lake valley.

The northern 1/3 of the state is where all the people live. The other 2/3 has very low population. The districts reflect that fact.
Districts are required to be approximately equal by population size. Utah has 4 districts, so a poll of 1 of those is roughly a poll of 1/4 of the residents of Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections