Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:33 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,885,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The Hillary campaign is making an effort to reach out to Spanish speakers. She has an entire version of her site in Spanish, a Spanish-only Twitter account, and even her original account has tweets en español mixed in.

Donald's campaign seems to be strictly English-only.
Hillary is reaching out to one of the fastest growing demographics of Americans.

Donald is demonizing and scapegoating one of the fastest growing demographics of Americans.

Which one seems to be the smarter strategy?

Old 07-24-2016, 11:40 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,152,149 times
Tim Kaine's choice of VP was a smart move by hillary and his ability to speak spanish fluently is a major plus, and all but sews up Florida for her. And without winning Florida the guy with the funny hat is toast!

Sound good to me!

Old 07-24-2016, 12:07 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,152,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Why is Tim Kaine not allowed to speak Spanish, especially in the most Spanish-heavy part of the U.S.? I don't get it.

More than 60% of Miami-Dade households speak Spanish at home. What is so wrong with this??

Probably the complaints are by people who have no language skills. They are intimidated by people who are multilingual. I speak four languages (two with accentless native fluency), and speak another language at home too. If people don't like it, they can go to hell. I scored in the top 2% on the SAT English section, despite being foreign-born.

My kid will be speaking Spanish and German (wife is Latina I am German) as well and we may put him in a French immersion school too.
I think so, and ironically that attitude is probably one of the reasons why Americans are so monolingual. So many of them freak out the slightest exposure to them like foreign words are the plague or something. Yet exposure is an essential part of learning a language, in my experience (I speak 2 other languages myself).

Old 07-24-2016, 01:44 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,437,173 times
Someone, not sure who, asked why Kaine would speak in Spanish to a majority Hispanic audience. After reading this thread I believe it was all a scheme to give CD posters something to whine about on a beautiful weekend.

Could you all please, at least pretend to stay on topic? Or better yet, skip the thread entirely.

Closed
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections