Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 04:07 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times

Advertisements

Two simple reasons:

Warren vacating the Senate seat would result in a Republican governor appointing a Republican to her seat.

MA is deep blue, whereas VA is a swing state (though leaning D for the last couple of elections) - and every bit helps.

Also, HRC is picking a running mate not necessarily primarily for electoral reasons, but also as someone who can govern - and Kaine has that. Purely speculation, but Clinton probably felt more comfortable on a personal level with Kaine than with Warren (they are cordial but not all that close).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 04:21 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Afraid she would be overshadowed by a much more likable, more qualified individual than her to the presidency with less egg on her face as VP?
The true leftists in the party really don't have anywhere else to go, other than voting for Jill Stein or staying home. She's banking on that aside from opposition to free trade agreements, the Bernie brigade has little in common with the Tumpettes, and the majority will probably come back to her simply because she's not Donald Trump. Picking Kaine blunts the R argument that she is a hard leftist equally (from her perspective) helps her win moderate voters, especially women, that are appalled by Donald Trump.

It's going to be interesting how the wiki leaks dump will affect the Bernie's. I can't see massive amounts of them going to Trump, but they could vote third party or stay home.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:23 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
With any luck Hillary will have a massive stroke and all this nonsense will be over.
Ah, kinder, gentler conservatism.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:27 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Hillary’s ‘off the reservation’ remark angers Native Americans | New York Post

Why would a "native american" (cough) want to be on a ticket with a person who has a history of pandering to minorities/making racist comments towards them?

And notice how she picked the old white guy in the end for VP. She sure panders to the minority vote but apparently in the entire nation, there's not one minority good enough/capable for hil to be VP. Actions speak louder than words.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:39 PM

24,418 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Will Kaine be the next one to bail and drop out of the race? He looked to be less than enthusiastic to be drawn into Hillary's circle of ne'er do wells.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:42 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Kaine can govern and is more versed in foreign policy. I love Liz but she pretty much focuses on economic equality and may not have a broad enough scope yet for President or VP.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:52 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Will Kaine be the next one to bail and drop out of the race? He looked to be less than enthusiastic to be drawn into Hillary's circle of ne'er do wells.
He did? All of the photos I saw in the press showed them both looking happy and comfortable with one another.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Afraid she would be overshadowed by a much more likable, more qualified individual than her to the presidency with less egg on her face as VP?
I don't think anyone could claim Warren is more qualified, but she would outshine Hillary and the presidential candidate doesn't want a running mate that will get more attention than she/he will. Actually makes good sense, but I doubt the country is really ready for a female president and VP, not to mention she is way to far to the left.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:47 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think anyone could claim Warren is more qualified, but she would outshine Hillary and the presidential candidate doesn't want a running mate that will get more attention than she/he will. Actually makes good sense, but I doubt the country is really ready for a female president and VP, not to mention she is way to far to the left.
But, would that have helped with Bernie's supporters, being "to far to the left". They have problems with Bernie's supporters being discontent about the gross unfairness of the DNC. Isn't she one also that holds a seat that might go to the Republicans IF Hillary were to win and she was the VP pick? I can't remember as I read about all the possibilities. Couldn't find one that could offset all of Hillary's negatives.

I think that Hillary feels she already has the votes of women yeah, not me either and needed to appeal to white men and that he speaks Spanish, well, that is as close as she could get to trying to get votes from white men and maybe a shot at the Hispanic vote.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:52 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,510,561 times
Because she is not gay and wont succumb to Hillarys needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections