Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:44 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Serious question here. Do you think HuffPo is a credible news source? If not, why not? Now just turn your answer around.

But, as I pointed out above, it doesn't matter what I think of Breitbart. (Or HuffPo.)

Yes or No: Hiring Bannon is a sign that Trump is NOT pivoting to the center.
Yup. So far it seems like he's just trying to take the same message (I can creat jobs and keep us safe. Down with illegals. Hillary is the devil!) and try to pitch it to more people. This week it was black people, look for women, Hispanics and the LGBT community next.

Last edited by Tinawina; 08-20-2016 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-20-2016, 09:51 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Anyone who thinks hiring a literal white nationalist to run his campaign was somehow going to turn things around... you're smoking some pretty strong stuff. If this is a pivot, it's toward even more extremity. His supports no doubt love the pick, because it only further validates their own "anti-PC" views (AKA: the ability to be openly bigoted/racist), but for everyone else, it's a complete negative.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:16 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post

*chuckles* I guess that Hillary can start her victory party planning..for the moment, anyway...I'm banking on an indictment and the VP...providing some relief.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:23 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
They aren't. Even most GOP supporters think they are garbage.
Highly doubt that.
Quote:
Serious question here. Do you think HuffPo is a credible news source? If not, why not? Now just turn your answer around.

But, as I pointed out above, it doesn't matter what I think of Breitbart. (Or HuffPo.)

Yes or No: Hiring Bannon is a sign that Trump is NOT pivoting to the center.
HuffPo sometimes they are good sometimes they are downright silly. They print and report the news from a liberal angle just like Breitbart does from a conservative angle. Trump doesn't need to pivot towards the middle. He won the primaries BECAUSE of how he speaks he is doing exactly what he needs to do. Going after the voters democrats have taken for granted and personally he seems to be more comfortable 100% on point and hitting them where it hurts for the past week and a half nonstop. The polls show it as well. He is closing the gap and improving his standing with black voters.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:58 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Highly doubt that.

HuffPo sometimes they are good sometimes they are downright silly. They print and report the news from a liberal angle just like Breitbart does from a conservative angle. Trump doesn't need to pivot towards the middle. He won the primaries BECAUSE of how he speaks he is doing exactly what he needs to do. Going after the voters democrats have taken for granted and personally he seems to be more comfortable 100% on point and hitting them where it hurts for the past week and a half nonstop. The polls show it as well. He is closing the gap and improving his standing with black voters.
He won the Primaries..averaging around 40% of the vote...except towards the end...when it became a done deal.
A general election is different, as we all know. Trump keeps "preaching to the choir"--his base--and ignoring the other 60% of the electorate. In fact, it can be argued that the more inflammatory Trump becomes, the more he drives Democratic voter turn-out upwards. Not to mention the growing number of conservatives that cannot 'hold their noses' anymore.
Improving his stand with Black voters? Incrementally that might be true...but the few percentage points gained are irrelevant.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:

Yes, he did win the conservative primaries. Why you think that will translate into winning over the general electorate is beyond me.

Here's a clue for you - the overwhelming majority of people who vote in the R primary vote there because they are conservative. A primary is not a random sample and does not predict what the general electorate will do.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, he did win the conservative primaries. Why you think that will translate into winning over the general electorate is beyond me.

Here's a clue for you - the overwhelming majority of people who vote in the R primary vote there because they are conservative. A primary is not a random sample and does not predict what the general electorate will do.
The MILLIONS of new voters he got to come out. People like me who are white working class that didn't vote for EITHER party before this are now voting for him on top of the usual vote GOP no matter what folks. He is NOT a social conservative and has reached out to homosexuals and blacks and others that he wants to vote for him...I think people are in for a BIG surprise come election day. In 2012 I knew it was a done deal. Romney was uninspiring and dull Trump is anything but that.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:31 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
The MILLIONS of new voters he got to come out. People like me who are white working class that didn't vote for EITHER party before this are now voting for him on top of the usual vote GOP no matter what folks. He is NOT a social conservative and has reached out to homosexuals and blacks and others that he wants to vote for him...I think people are in for a BIG surprise come election day. In 2012 I knew it was a done deal. Romney was uninspiring and dull Trump is anything but that.
I know that the Trump campaign is pushing this meme. But I think the evidence for it is sketchy - here's a good explanation of why - Will Donald Trump turn out millions of 'missing' white voters? - CSMonitor.com

Also, these millions of "new" voters must reside in the right states to have any impact. For instance, Nebraska is already going R, adding several million new voters there won't change the vote in New York at all, and it's New York that is the larger electoral prize. And I'm not sure how many million R voters it would take to move New York, but the number is not trivial.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:46 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
I know that the Trump campaign is pushing this meme. But I think the evidence for it is sketchy - here's a good explanation of why - Will Donald Trump turn out millions of 'missing' white voters? - CSMonitor.com

Also, these millions of "new" voters must reside in the right states to have any impact. For instance, Nebraska is already going R, adding several million new voters there won't change the vote in New York at all, and it's New York that is the larger electoral prize. And I'm not sure how many million R voters it would take to move New York, but the number is not trivial.
Yup. The narrative they are pushing is all these new voters will come in AND there are more established voters planning to vote for Trump than expected, because people are lying to pollsters and to their neighbors to avoid ridicule.

But that would have to happen in damn near every swing state. Even when people run models trying to accommodate for that, the possibility remains remote.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yup. The narrative they are pushing is all these new voters will come in AND there are more established voters planning to vote for Trump than expected, because people are lying to pollsters and to their neighbors to avoid ridicule.

But that would have to happen in damn near every swing state. Even when people run models trying to accommodate for that, the possibility remains remote.
Take the millions that voted for Romney and add what 2 million just in working class whites to it PLUS doing better with latinos blacks and homosexuals. Oh and yes I think people are scared to show or express support for Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.