Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,016,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
okay, that's something to think about - thanks
You're welcome. Thats been my driving motivation to vote for him. I didn't expect him to win, just want to see a major 3rd party get funding next year so there is a bit more of a level playing field.

In terms of the debate qualifications, this is the best I could find, directly from the CPD themselves, so not to concrete, but I guess there is still time for him to qualify.

CPD:

Quote:
The CPD's determination with respect to participation in the CPD's first-scheduled debate will be made after Labor Day 2016, but sufficiently in advance of the first-scheduled debate to allow for orderly planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 07:47 AM

5,904 posts, read 3,932,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Has anyone asked Trump abut Aleppo, or is that considered too difficult a question for him?)
It's probably a bit on the difficult side for him.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:53 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,926,161 times
I think the question was odd, why would he mention Aleppo, when the host really meant Syria as a whole. But once the host said Syria, Johnson obviously knew what the host was talking about and is knowledgeable about it. It's just such a shocker that a candidate isn't going to lie and pretend he knows something when he doesn't.

10 seconds later Johnson followed up with, “Okay, Got it. Well, with regard to Syria, I do think that it’s a mess,” he said. “I think the only way that we deal with Syria is to join hands with Russia to diplomatically bring that at an end but when we’ve aligned ourselves with — when we have supported the opposition, the Free Syrian Army, the Free Syrian Army is also coupled with the Islamists, and then the fact that we're also supporting the Kurds and this is, it's just a mess. And this is the result of regime change that we end up supporting and, inevitably, these regime changes have led to a less safe world.”

Read more: Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson: 'What is Aleppo?' - POLITICO

Old 09-08-2016, 07:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,608,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I think the question was odd, why would he mention Aleppo, when the host really meant Syria as a whole. But once the host said Syria, Johnson obviously knew what the host was talking about and is knowledgeable about it. It's just such a shocker that a candidate isn't going to lie and pretend he knows something when he doesn't.

10 seconds later Johnson followed up with, “Okay, Got it. Well, with regard to Syria, I do think that it’s a mess,” he said. “I think the only way that we deal with Syria is to join hands with Russia to diplomatically bring that at an end but when we’ve aligned ourselves with — when we have supported the opposition, the Free Syrian Army, the Free Syrian Army is also coupled with the Islamists, and then the fact that we're also supporting the Kurds and this is, it's just a mess. And this is the result of regime change that we end up supporting and, inevitably, these regime changes have led to a less safe world.”

Read more: Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson: 'What is Aleppo?' - POLITICO
I agree completely. Barnacle could have phrase the question clearer. Good recovery by Johnson. Great post by yourself, rep.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 AM

5,904 posts, read 3,932,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Somewhat agree, but Johnson knew what was going on in Syria, just didn't know the specific town of Allepo in Syria. Still a huge fumble on his part though.
I think this is why Johnson always has VP choice Bill Weld with him on the majority of national interviews/town halls. Weld is more articulate, charismatic and helps cover up GJ's deficiencies. I don't think it was as a bad a gaffe as people are making out, but I can see Weld stepping in and taking over at that point in the conversation.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I agree completely. Barnacle could have phrase the question clearer. Good recovery by Johnson. Great post by yourself, rep.
Yeah, it would be somewhat similar if someone didn't first understand a question about Ferguson but then picked up when you said, you know in St. Louis, Missouri.

Oh, the riots, right. Let me give you my thoughts on that.

Still looks bad for Johnson, but to paint it as complete ignorance of the situation s a bit far fetched.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I think this is why Johnson always has VP choice Bill Weld with him on the majority of national interviews/town halls. Weld is more articulate, charismatic and helps cover up GJ's deficiencies.
Agree about your comment on Weld. Johnson is a poor speaker. It's sad that being honest has become a gaffe though. If people continued on with the interview, he obviously knows a good deal about what is happening in Syria.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:09 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,636,120 times
wow.

what a poser !!!

and this idiot wants to be president ?

the joke is on you.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
wow.

what a poser !!!

the joke is on you.
Phew, good thing he isn't running for prom king in 1983.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
wow.

what a poser !!!

the joke is on you.
That really needed to be bold? Because Trump has never spoken any gaffes before. Haha

At least Johnson did know the subject once the host clarified. Its a sad world when people laugh at a candidates honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections