Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 03:03 PM

27,229 posts, read 15,401,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I thought the ship had already sailed on being in the debates for him, no?

He's at 8%, would need 15% to be included.

He's not a Libertarian (his views largely are not at all), nor a Republican.

I do not like his pro-illegal stance either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 03:04 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,534,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Yeah I still agree its not great at all, but to hear some saying its "disqualifying" is honestly astonishing to me when you look at the insane things Clinton and Trump have done/said at this point. And its not like he had no idea what Syria was all about, he just didn't recognize the smaller city name. A huge fumble, yes. Disqualifying, certainly not in this train wreck of an election cycle.
Trump's mouthpieces always came behind and spinned his errors. LP doesn't have that machine. Johnson is actually honest and said he made an error and was going to drive on. I liked his truthfulness.....haven't got that from Clinton or Trump.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:07 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,914,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
...and this might be his Rick Perry's "uh-oh" moment.
That's a good comparison actually.

I just found this article while reading your post...

Gary Johnson's Rick Perry moment - POLITICO

Old 09-08-2016, 03:17 PM

Oops. Mean "oops" moment.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,726,481 times
Gary Johnson has commented on Syria. He said we gave arms to rebels against gov't & they wound up in the hands of ISIS. Just one example of why he says US should get out of the regime change business. He also says N Korea is the biggest threat to US as someday they will have missiles that can reach US. So he does pay attention on things related to what our foreign policy should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What??? What Aleppo is and why it's important is skim-the-headlines knowledge.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Gary Johnson has commented on Syria. He said we gave arms to rebels against gov't & they wound up in the hands of ISIS. Just one example of why he says US should get out of the regime change business. He also says N Korea is the biggest threat to US as someday they will have missiles that can reach US. So he does pay attention on things related to what our foreign policy should be.
None of the candidates have the answer. If the answer was readily apparent (other than sending 500,000 ground troop to the region and occupying the region for 50-100 years, McCain mentioned this years ago that this would be our commitment if we entered Iraq btw), we would be doing it.

There are no easy answers. It's obvious Johnson is behind on the problem, but in my mind, so are the other two.

McCain defends '100 years in Iraq' statement - CNN.com

Old 09-08-2016, 04:08 PM

He is a Libertarian, but they have revised their statements to allow more time to make their changes gradually. He now proposes to cut all Federal gov't departments not eliminated by 20% 1st year, instead of 43%. The 20% would not reduce debt, but would stop it from increasing.

He's not 100% pro-illegal. Some got in here legally, & some got in decades ago, when immigration laws weren't seriously enforced. They got jobs, raised families, didn't cause trouble.

Gary Johnson wants Hispanics working here to get work visas, social security numbers, and pay taxes. Not anyone can sneak in. Employers paying less than minimum wage would get caught by the tax info, and I think something bad would happen to them. He wants to offer Hispanics a chance at citizenship if they are interested and can pass the tests. He doesn't want criminals or terrorists coming in.

You don't think he has Libertarian views? Libertarians believe you should be ale to do what you want, as long as it doesn't interfere with the rights of others. Do you see places where he has violated that?

The 5 polls they are using have him averaging 10% & that will likely increase quickly with what they have planned, like their NYC rally/Money Bomb this Saturday. The Debates Commission could lose their tax exempt status if they won't include Johnson/Weld. moveon,org has a petition to get them on 60 minutes.
Debates Commission is hearing from people who think anyone on ballot in all 50 states should be included.
The hourly updates are on johnsonweld.com/ so I think too soon to say they have no chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
He's at 8%, would need 15% to be included.

He's not a Libertarian (his views largely are not at all), nor a Republican.

I do not like his pro-illegal stance either.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:38 PM

McCain said troops could stay in Iraq for 100 years, as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed. Of course those things never happen in an unwanted occupation, do they? McCain sounds insane to me. Johnson is 1,000x better.

Quote:
None of the candidates have the answer. If the answer was readily apparent (other than sending 500,000 ground troop to the region and occupying the region for 50-100 years, McCain mentioned this years ago that this would be our commitment if we entered Iraq btw), we would be doing it.

There are no easy answers. It's obvious Johnson is behind on the problem, but in my mind, so are the other two.

McCain defends '100 years in Iraq' statement - CNN.com

Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 PM

Wonder who the gaffe helps more - Clinton or Trump.

Me?
#neverTrump

Old 09-08-2016, 04:48 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,002,024 times
Quote:
Wonder who the gaffe helps more - Clinton or Trump.

Me?
#neverTrump
I'm going to say it actually helps Johnson the most because it gets his name out there when most people don't even know he exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections