Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 01:22 AM

5,964 posts, read 4,227,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I think that a lot of people think this way and the reason they do, imo, is that America has been 'softened' so much that people are afraid to say anything about anyone, we have become a nation of 'softies' (wanted to use a different word, use your imagination) and our soft brains get 'shocked' at any words that are anywhere close to the edge, Trump is saying what we are thinking but i don't believe that he's saying anything we ought not be thinking, do you have some examples of what he's saying that we shouldn't be thinking and part 2 of that question is if you think he's saying things no one should be thinking, isn't hillary and campaign doing the same things?
I don't think people should be thinking illegal immigrants are a bunch of rapists and murderers.
I don't think people should be thinking Muslims are particularly dangerous.
I don't think people should be thinking American-born Mexican Americans can't do their jobs because their family tree originates in Mexico.

I cannot think of comparable statements that Hillary Clinton has made. It's possible I've missed them, but I can't remember her denigrating massive groups of people based on such incorrect "facts."

Your point about society becoming "soft" has been repeated by a lot of folks, but the strange thing is that these folks tend to be in groups who haven't been discriminated against in recent history. When I was a kid, we used to say "f*g" as a slang insult all the time on the playground. Now, it's absolutely an epithet. Were we "hard" for saying "f*g" and are we "soft" for thinking it is offensive? That seems silly. It was an offensive epithet back then, but fewer people cared about how homosexuals felt. We have just woken up as a society on that issue. In the 1960's, many people did the same thing for blacks and women. Were we "harder" in the 1950's because we were okay using the N word? Of course not. Our circle of consciousness has simply expanded to include all sorts of people who were ignored before. That doesn't make us soft.

ETA: As I think about this use of words like "hard," "soft," "strong" and "weak," these contexts seem entirely incorrect. Being "hard" implies that a person is capable of going through adversity of some sort. Person A calling Person B something offensive doesn't make Person A hard. It doesn't take any special skill or courage to be insensitive. Person B is certainly put through some adversity in this scenario, but that isn't what is meant by the label "hard" in these sorts of discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So you want Trump to have an English lesson or appologize for something he didn't mean?

Not everyone runs around apologizing when their words are interpreted incorrectly. That's something you just have to man up (or person up) and accept.
No reasonable interpretation would conclude that the statement "They are rapists. Some, I assume, are good people" is referencing two different groups of people.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
He's spoken clearly enough to have a billion dollar empire and make it to the world's grandest stage. I'd say he's doing ok in the speaking department.
The problem is that there are too many idiots in the world. Convincing them to follow you isn't proof of success.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:25 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,976,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
No reasonable interpretation would conclude that the statement "They are rapists. Some, I assume, are good people" is referencing two different groups of people.
You are welcome to your opinion, but it's not how I interpreted it.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:26 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,976,961 times
Quote:
The problem is that there are too many idiots in the world. Convincing them to follow you isn't proof of success.
Doubling down on Hillary's deplorable comment I see. Keep it classy.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:28 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,544,722 times
Trump insults the intelligence of every American when he makes up his fear mongering lies like tales of allegedly seeing "thousands and thousands" celebrating the 9/11 attacks in the streets of Jersey City.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:28 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,727,236 times
Quote:
I don't think people should be thinking illegal immigrants are a bunch of rapists and murderers.
I don't think people should be thinking Muslims are particularly dangerous.
I don't think people should be thinking American-born Mexican Americans can't do their jobs because their family tree originates in Mexico.

I cannot think of comparable statements that Hillary Clinton has made. It's possible I've missed them, but I can't remember her denigrating massive groups of people based on such incorrect "facts."

Your point about society becoming "soft" has been repeated by a lot of folks, but the strange thing is that these folks tend to be in groups who haven't been discriminated against in recent history. When I was a kid, we used to say "f*g" as a slang insult all the time on the playground. Now, it's absolutely an epithet. Were we "hard" for saying "f*g" and are we "soft" for thinking it is offensive? That seems silly. It was an offensive epithet back then, but fewer people cared about how homosexuals felt. We have just woken up as a society on that issue. In the 1960's, many people did the same thing for blacks and women. Were we "harder" in the 1950's because we were okay using the N word? Of course not. Our circle of consciousness has simply expanded to include all sorts of people who were ignored before. That doesn't make us soft.
I think the softness comes from the reaction to things we didnt react to back in the day. Like you said, 'we' heard the 'fg' word all the time, we all said it and when we said it, the reason we didn't react to it is because people knew what we MEANT. Now, people are deciding what we mean even if its not what we mean and this is why we are more 'sensitive' as a country.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Doubling down on Hillary's deplorable comment I see. Keep it classy.
I absolutely believe Trump attracts a disproportionate number of unintelligent people. It is indisputable fact that uneducated people support him more than educated people do.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:31 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,727,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trump insults the intelligence of every American when he makes up his fear mongering lies like tales of allegedly seeing "thousands and thousands" celebrating the 9/11 attacks in the streets of Jersey City.
fear mongering is the act of deliberately arousing public fear....BUT, if the public already has the fear, a person can't really 'arouse' it if its already aroused by all the attacks and blood in the streets. Trump's message isn't to try and 'scare you' he understands that you're already scared and you're scared from what you see and not from his words.

He could act like Hillary and Obama and say 'everything is ok, we have never been safer' is that what you want?

Old 10-06-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I think the softness comes from the reaction to things we didnt react to back in the day. Like you said, 'we' heard the 'fg' word all the time, we all said it and when we said it, the reason we didn't react to it is because people knew what we MEANT. Now, people are deciding what we mean even if its not what we mean and this is why we are more 'sensitive' as a country.
The problem is that your "we" refers to a group that almost certainly doesn't include you....or me. Think about what you're really saying here. You're saying that all of those groups used to not complain when they were insulted, but now they are complaining, and other people are becoming sympathetic to their complaints. Does telling them to just get over themselves and let you start insulting them again without resistance really seem like the best response?

When we said "f*g" on the playground, we all knew the word meant "gay." We were using it as an insult because being gay was not a desirable thing in our minds. That would clearly be insulting to a gay person, and their being insulted doesn't make them soft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections