Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 02:02 PM

25,781 posts, read 12,849,279 times

Advertisements

The polls cannot afford to get it wrong again. I'm already highly skeptical about ALL the polls. Most recently, the polls did a poor job on some of the Democrat Primary elections. They were way beyond the margin of error in a few states.

In 2016, they were w/in 2% of the popular votes (which means zilch), but they were way off on what counts the most...delegates. They didn't have the delegate counts even close last time.

I don't know how they survive if they blow another Presidential election.

If they do, will Americans finally admit that polls = propaganda?

I'm already there. If the polls showed Trump losing by 20+ points in every state, it would have zero impact upon my thought processes, and I'd still give Trump a 50-50 chance. That is how little I think of polls. To me, they are a cross between propaganda & entertainment.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 06-30-2020 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 02:09 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
The problem with polls is that people often don't answer the questions honestly or the questions are skewed a certain way to attain the desired result.

I don't trust them but we can still use them as a tool. The higher the ratings for Joe go, the more points they tell us he has over Trump the more I believe that the real numbers of the poll actually has the 2 pretty close.

I can't imagine the likes of CNN or ABC reporting a poll that shows Trump is beating Biden. It would just upset too many of their easily triggered viewers.

It is all fake news, fake polls. We can't count on anything these days.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:13 PM

10,083 posts, read 14,463,858 times
I just wrote on another thread that what we all have to remember, is that mainstream media--including tv, newspapers, online social platforms--are almost all Democrat/left leaning.

So most of these outlets stand to gain favor with the Trump hating crowd if it shows him being crushed, with whatever poll they conduct or publish, showing him "losing big."

They don't reveal a lot of their specific polling process or data, and I'd be extremely shocked if they were all done fairly.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:19 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
No. The polls would only be dead as they apply to Donald Trump. Trump has a very interesting following that is not reflected in the polls, in large part I wager because people demonize Trump supporters so much and folks don't trust that their "anonymous" poll responses won't come back to bite them.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:20 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
The polls died in November, 2016 when Princess Dirty hit the concrete face first.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:28 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
The polls are only dead for those who have this fantasy that Trump is the perfect candidate and will get reelected despite a nearly 10 point deficit.

I predict some of his followers are going to have a really hard morning on November 4th. I expect to see some absences here on CDF. Maybe I will find strands of hair that have been pulled out laying on the streets.

When President Biden is sworn in on January 20th there will be a lot of cursing here.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:31 PM

25,781 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Let's say the polls are Liberal propaganda. Why would they show Joe up by 20 points anywhere? Wouldn't that cause some Dems to stay at home thinking Joe was going to win in a blowout anyways, with or without their vote?

Wouldn't they want to show it neck and neck to get every Dem voter to the polls?

Old 06-30-2020, 02:35 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,348,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Let's say the polls are Liberal propaganda. Why would they show Joe up by 20 points anywhere? Wouldn't that cause some Dems to stay at home thinking Joe was going to win in a blowout anyways, with or without their vote?

Wouldn't they want to show it neck and neck to get every Dem voter to the polls?
Trust me, people who are voting for Biden this year will not let any survey give them any false sense of security. They will be voting and encouraging their friends and families to vote, fight voter suppression, as if they were behind. In fact, they will be voting to make a statement to Trump and the GOP that voter suppression will not be tolerated just like what happened in WI etc.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:38 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Or it could have the opposite impact (and I say more intended impact traditionally) of suppressing the Trump vote if Trump voters think that their vote won't sway the election.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:50 PM

6,105 posts, read 2,731,285 times
The polls weren't HRC won the popular vote Donnie barley squeaked by in the flawed electrical college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections