Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the GOP lost the presidency for a generation?
Yes 50 36.76%
No 86 63.24%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 11:44 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times

Advertisements

After watching Donald Trumps dumpster fire of a presidential campaign I'm left wondering how long the GOP will be wandering the desert in exile for. It may be a very long time before they recapture the presidency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 11:46 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
No. Fact that Republican senators are doing well and that Trump actually tied with Hillary and led in swing states in polls shows that many are probably open to the ideas of Trump. It is his temperament which is the reason why many won't pull the lever

Old 10-10-2016, 11:48 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
After watching Donald Trumps dumpster fire of a presidential campaign I'm left wondering how long the GOP will be wandering the desert in exile for. It may be a very long time before they recapture the presidency.
Haha. They will definitely find a way to recoup and will also change the RNC primary rules to make it more difficult to get the nomination.

#TrumpsterFire

Old 10-10-2016, 11:52 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
They will be back. Any time either party has absolute power (White House, House and Senate), people get really upset that they STILL don't do anything, and the pendulum shifts.

The problem that the GOP has is that they put party before country, and have for decades now. So when they have the greatest opportunity to do some good (go back no further than 2016), they self implode.

I still believe that if the GOP could put up a candidate with fiscally conservative, and socially libertarian values, with a good understanding of world issues, and how all of these things interact, that they would win overwhelmingly. The last president that had this combination of qualities was Bill Clinton. He had other flaws, which I'm sure will be highlighted in response to this post, but if you look at recent history, I think he's the closest one.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:52 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times
Default Coat-tails....

Depends on how many seats change hands--if the balance of power is upset..It might be hard to re-assert control of the White House for a very long time...The majority of registered voters are Democrats...it's just the percentage of those that voted was historically less than that of Republicans--if this changes...the Republican party will have to adapt...and from all I see this election--the growing pains might just kill the party, at least, as we know it.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:55 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
They will be back. Any time either party has absolute power (White House, House and Senate), people get really upset that they STILL don't do anything, and the pendulum shifts.

The problem that the GOP has is that they put party before country, and have for decades now. So when they have the greatest opportunity to do some good (go back no further than 2016), they self implode.

I still believe that if the GOP could put up a candidate with fiscally conservative, and socially libertarian values, with a good understanding of world issues, and how all of these things interact, that they would win overwhelmingly. The last president that had this combination of qualities was Bill Clinton. He had other flaws, which I'm sure will be highlighted in response to this post, but if you look at recent history, I think he's the closest one.
What does "fiscally conservative" specifically mean? We know that disabled people get $600 a month to live off of now. Is that "fiscally conservative" to you? Or do you believe people want to be even more "fiscally conservative" and slash support even further for the most vulnerable among us?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:59 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Depends.
The viability of the GOP to be a force in presidential election hinges on the election of Trump. If he doesn't win the GOP is done. If he does win the nation wins and the GOP can take on the platform to put the citizens first again and make the government the servant of the people. Not the other way around.

I don't support the GOP. I support Trump because he will take on both parties and clean house of their corruption. The GOP can then emerge from that and be a servant of the people. I could support a GOP that did that.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:09 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Depends.
The viability of the GOP to be a force in presidential election hinges on the election of Trump. If he doesn't win the GOP is done. If he does win the nation wins and the GOP can take on the platform to put the citizens first again and make the government the servant of the people. Not the other way around.

I don't support the GOP. I support Trump because he will take on both parties and clean house of their corruption. The GOP can then emerge from that and be a servant of the people. I could support a GOP that did that.
Excellent post. I agree with all of your points. The GOP as it stood was on life support and Trump got it off life support.

I vote the issues.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:17 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What does "fiscally conservative" specifically mean? We know that disabled people get $600 a month to live off of now. Is that "fiscally conservative" to you? Or do you believe people want to be even more "fiscally conservative" and slash support even further for the most vulnerable among us?
It means "balance the budget" and "make sure that if someone consistently puts in an honest days work (at a relevant job) that they can support their family without welfare".

If I were running on a platform of fiscal conservatism, I'd start with reducing CORPORATE welfare. I would not give tax breaks to companies who pay such low wages that their employees live in poverty. I'd quit pandering to special interests, and speak the hard truth that some industries are not going to succeed in the USA. We need to stop protecting jobs in coal and in old-school textiles (for example), and retrain those people to thrive in the tech-sector where there is a shortage of skilled workers in high paying jobs. It's tough, as a politician, to tell people that their cheese is moving, but it has to happen.

I'd put an immediate end to Citizens United, and other loopholes that allow special interests to fund a candidate.

I might lift some regulations, but would make penalties for the remaining ones stiffer. For example, instead of blathering about deporting 11 million people, I'd still focus on border security (more of it, not less), but I'd immediately toughen laws and ENFORCE them for people who employ illegals.

With regards to Corporate Welfare, I'd seek to end the private prison industry, and I'd decriminalize harmless drugs such as Marijuana. I'd treat that no harsher (probably less-so) than alcohol, which would free up a lot of wasted money in our judicial system.

I'd be honest with people about the mess that is our healthcare system. I'd level with them that it was F'd up before Obamacare, and it's STILL F'd up during/after it. It is one system that I'd socialize, because (even though I'm a staunch Capitalist), it does not make sense to incent companies to make money by denying coverage, and that's exactly what happens.

I'd figure out a way to have bills introduced on single issues, eliminating pork, which comes from both parties. If there is a vote about funding the border, it would not be loaded up with crap about unrelated projects, so when a congress-person votes, their record is tied to something we can trace, and they will have a meaningful voting history.

I'm pretty sure I'd advocate for term limits, and would also try to find a way to limit elected officials from any form of lobbying, at least for a period of time.

I would be pro-oil, but have HUGE penalties for natural disaster, which required paying the full cost of clean-up, plus more, and I'd invest heavily in alternative energy, as Arab countries have done, and are doing.

I could go on for a while. I'm not terribly educated in politics, but there are a lot of simple fixes that can be done. I think the mass-appeal of Trump (whom I absolutely dispise as a candidate) is his position of NOT being status quo. The time is ripe for electing an outsider, but it has to be someone who is not scurge of the earth.

Fiscally conservative means ACTUALLY DOING WHAT MANY GOP CANDIDATES CLAIM THEY'D DO, and dropping all of the social policing agenda, as most people don't want to be told what to do in their bedrooms or with their bodies.

EDIT: Sorry, I did not answer your question... I would not go after disabled people. I would do my best to 'minimize' abuse of the system, but the reality is that the real waste is not from people cheating the Gov't $600 at a time. The real waste, and the biggest gains, can be realized at test of millions of dollars at a time. No, I would not stop taking care of our disabled people.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:23 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
So slashing taxes and increasing spending would be crazy?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections