Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 06:36 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times

Advertisements

I have no firm evidence for my feelings about someone running for president having a history in politics.

A businessman like Trump I believe has a decent idea of how our political system operates. He's had to deal with government policies in his business background. But after watching the debates, following both candidates on the campaign trail, and listening to both speak with a grain of salt, I feel that regardless of what the political background is (good or corrupt) that when it comes down to the last two candidates that a political background is almost a must.

Government has been and will be political. There ate intricacies in politics, just like there are in business. Not everyone had the background or knowledge to own a business. Yes the opportunity exists for all, but some fail just due to the overwhelming issues that owning a business entails.

But being POTUS has a much greater effect on my life than a businessman does. I suppose Bill Gates has his fingers in technology globally and thus he effects more people than a president might. But to operate in politics I feel you need some experience, and with Trump being POTUS would be the ground floor for him. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be having someone with no true experience given the keys to the country. He could turn out being as corrupt as many Americans call a lot of politicians. I fear he could cause more governmental gridlock then we already have.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 06:42 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I have no firm evidence for my feelings about someone running for president having a history in politics.

A businessman like Trump I believe has a decent idea of how our political system operates. He's had to deal with government policies in his business background. But after watching the debates, following both candidates on the campaign trail, and listening to both speak with a grain of salt, I feel that regardless of what the political background is (good or corrupt) that when it comes down to the last two candidates that a political background is almost a must.

Government has been and will be political. There ate intricacies in politics, just like there are in business. Not everyone had the background or knowledge to own a business. Yes the opportunity exists for all, but some fail just due to the overwhelming issues that owning a business entails.

But being POTUS has a much greater effect on my life than a businessman does. I suppose Bill Gates has his fingers in technology globally and thus he effects more people than a president might. But to operate in politics I feel you need some experience, and with Trump being POTUS would be the ground floor for him. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be having someone with no true experience given the keys to the country. He could turn out being as corrupt as many Americans call a lot of politicians. I fear he could cause more governmental gridlock then we already have.

What do you think?
I don't think we can paint with such a broad brush. The reality is that Trump is uniquely under-qualified for public service. However, I think that a competent businessman with an even temperament and an eye toward detailed analysis might be able to do the job.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:46 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
No experience necessary, required or wanted. Authentic people only need apply. No vampires who have sucked the life blood out of tax payers for a lifetime need apply.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:58 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
I think we already KNOW how corrupt Clinton is. We KNOW that the State Department & DOJ is corrupt by attempting to stop investigations and that they destroy or hide evidence. We already KNOW that Clinton thinks "rules" and Law are for other people - not for special people like HER.

The President manages the Country - it's his job to hire the best people he can find to run the various parts of the Country. He and they, work for The People. Clinton's knowledge of "how the dirty job of making sausage" works in the Federal Government is an advantage -- BUT the sausage they are making is Rancid, Tainted and Toxic.

Trump has hands on experience in Managing a Private Conglomerate of 100's of business and 20,000 employees. He brings in his Construction jobs on time & on or under Budget.
We need a new way of looking at "sausage making" and we are in desperate need of cleaning out the Corruption and Graft in the Federal Bureaucracy.

Career Politicians are mostly Lawyers - some good, most pretty bad. Many have spent their entire careers in Politics, where Job1 is keeping the Job. They sell their souls. They are afraid of the Media that can end those cushy jobs. They are constantly working for Campaign money and spend more time on that than they do on working for us.

The main advantage to Trump is that he is NOT a Politician, he is NOT afraid of the Media, he doesn't need to worry about Special Interests and their Political Donations for special favors.
It's time to clean house and a new broom that will actually not be afraid to sweep out the trash.

He has Mike Pence who knows all those "intricacies" that you are worried about. He understands Congress and how it works, he also understands the job of Governing as the Executive of a State.

Hillary Clinton was never an option for me - she is Corrupt, she LIES, she is Careless (according to the FBI Investigation & Testimony) with our National Security. IF she were not a former First Lady, a Former Secretary of State & running for President ...... she would be either in the middle of a Trial in Federal Court OR in prison. Giving her the keys to the White House is insane.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:07 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Trump is the better choice when it comes to candidates for POTUS. Isn't that what a "race" or a "contest" is about? Think about it.

His competition is a PROVEN liability.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

What do you think?
Having experience as a lawyer, and in political science is extremely useful for any President. Not impossible to be effective without those, look at Reagan for example. But it sure helps. At least Reagan was interested in learning, versus Trump who believes he already knows everything. He's told us this any number of times. That's the attitude that is a nonstarter for me, absolutely no humility or ability to do any self-assessment. Trump knows the real estate business really well, and he also knows the entertainment business as a reality show TV star. He's had zero experience in law as far as I know (other than his cozy relationship with Roy Cohn the Mafia lawyer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections