Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 09:47 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times

Advertisements

In the last 16 years, 2 democrats have won the popular vote but lost the electoral college. Without the electoral college, we would've gotten Gore instead of W. Bush and Hillary instead of Donald.

I don't think you know what you're talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 09:47 PM

465 posts, read 303,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
That would **** off half of the country. It's over, get over it and quit living in denial.
You're seeing the protests right now, imagine the unlikely dominoes to fall that would lead to a reversal. All hell would break loose and you'd see a Civil War.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:48 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Not just that, but they get 2 of the largest 3 electoral states off the bat, CA and NY.
And IL, MD, MA, RI, CT, WA, CT, NJ, OR, VT, DC, ME, NM!!! They start damn near 170 EVs in places they don't even have to campaign a single day in.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:55 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
In the last 16 years, 2 democrats have won the popular vote but lost the electoral college. Without the electoral college, we would've gotten Gore instead of W. Bush and Hillary instead of Donald.

I don't know about that. If it was popular vote that mattered, you'd see the GOP fighting for an extra few percentage points in CA, NY and IL. EC allows dems to focus their time and money in NC, FL, OH, PA, etc. Win a few of those and it becomes extremely difficult for a pub to win without running the table on the remaining swing states.

What was all the talk prior to election...it was that Trump had to win NC, OH, FL, NV, AZ and NH just to have a shot. Dems only needed one of those. That's why Trump was criss crossing the country like a mad man.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:56 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

The so called "blue wall" in the EC gives democrats a bigger chance of winning.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:57 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
The EC is still preferable to prevent a mob of people altering the popular vote.
Please.

Barely half of eligible voters vote at all. When will see this "mob of people" who are crazier than the rest of the citizens?

If anything, the Electoral College was created to prevent someone like Trump from taking office: a candidate who had fewer votes than his opponent, has no political experience, and was elected on hyperbole and platitudes.

Popular vote should decide the election, I don't care whether it favors Republicans or Democrats.

Why don't we have electors in states? Each county should have a set number of electors, right? That way the most populous counties can't have more say in statewide elections than the less-populated rural counties, right?

Why does Wyoming have one elector for every 194,717 citizens, but California has one elector for every 705,454 citizens? How is that fair?

Old 11-11-2016, 09:58 PM

465 posts, read 303,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
And IL, MD, MA, RI, CT, WA, CT, NJ, OR, VT, DC, ME, NM!!! They start damn near 170 EVs in places they don't even have to campaign a single day in.
I got them at 201-180 (VT, MA, CT, NJ, DE, DC, MD, ILL, RI, NY, MN, NM, CA, OR, WA, HI)

Old 11-11-2016, 09:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So you found a random person on Twitter who was wrong, quoted someone who was right, quoted several news articles that were right. At least about that point. I don't have any problem with the EC. Worked as intended.
Are you reading comprehension impaired? I gave a few examples, there's plenty more. Here, I just found this one on complete accident:

Quote:
admin62319851 day ago
Nothing you can say, no conspiracy theory, no lies can change the fact that the majority of Americans chose Hillary. She won the popular vote. America rejected the racism and hatred of Donald Trump. So these protests are just getting started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSfS2u-SmoI

People ARE saying it. The statement made was that the poster did not think anyone was saying that. I have proven that yes, people ARE saying it. You can try to move the goal posts all that you want, the fact remains, people ARE saying it, and it's NOT true. Period.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:00 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So you found a random person on Twitter who was wrong, quoted someone who was right, quoted several news articles that were right. At least about that point. I don't have any problem with the EC. Worked as intended.
They are NOT right. The majority did NOT vote for Hillary. Stop the lies.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:00 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
The so called "blue wall" in the EC gives democrats a bigger chance of winning.
As we have seen, there is no such thing as the "blue wall."

It doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections