Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 12:54 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times

Advertisements

Suburb of Minneapolis MN

1. Our polls opened at 7AM and I showed up at 7:15.
2. There was nowhere to park so people had to park down the street.
3. The line was out the door and I had to wait for an hour to vote. Never once, in my years of voting have I ever had to wait, not even 10 minutes! Not even when Obama was running!

I have a really hard time believing that all those people were there to vote for Hillary and in fact, when one guy walked out the door after he voted he put on a hat that said "Made America Great Today". I am REALLY praying that MN has come to it's senses and is going to go red today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 12:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Austin, TX. in and out at 11am no wait

Old 11-08-2016, 12:57 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I voted a coupla weeks ago by absentee ballot, seeing the lines at so many places today I'm glad I did.
Same here. Voted straight ticket Democrat. Florida. Pres Elect Clinton will need all the help she can get and the country doesn't need the usual obstructionism from the Right.

BTW, half the registered voters in my state (FL) did likewise with early voting or absentee.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:58 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Just returned home from voting. We vote at a local elementary school two blocks from our home. No line, nobody holding signs, no poll watchers, a friendly police officer at the entrance, kids and their moms selling homemade cupcakes, brownies and cookies in the lobby. Walked in, they asked for my name and address, looked it up, crossed me off the list, gave me a ballot. On way out, they asked me for my name and address, looked it up, crossed me off the list, and directed me where to put my ballot. Bought a cupcake on the way out. 5 minutes, tops. Paper ballot. Government works in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by OrganicSmallHome; 11-08-2016 at 01:35 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 01:01 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Suburban Chicago. Large church. Opened 6am. Arrived 5:55am. About 20 people in line ahead of me. By the time the doors opened about 20 more behind me. In and out in about 20 minutes. Pretty much like any other year.

No electioneering seen. Thankfully.

Also, nobody was talking to each other. It was like a death march.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:24 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Suburban Chicago. Large church. Opened 6am. Arrived 5:55am. About 20 people in line ahead of me. By the time the doors opened about 20 more behind me. In and out in about 20 minutes. Pretty much like any other year.

No electioneering seen. Thankfully.

Also, nobody was talking to each other. It was like a death march.
I didn't talk to anyone, but the people behind me did, mostly about graduating high school in 1976

Old 11-08-2016, 01:33 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
I don't understand why people are being forced to wait for hours on line in order to vote. They need to open up more polling places. In a democracy, it should be easy and quick to cast a vote.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:04 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
My precinct votes at a nearby elementary school. The poll opened at 7am, but I got there about 10 minutes early. I wanted to get in and out early as I had an appointment I didn't want to miss at 9. I was the second guy in line, surprisingly enough. But about 2 minutes later, there were a dozen lined up behind me. By the time 7am rolled around, the line was several dozen long.

The poll workers had some trouble with an electronic voter verification system, so they had to fall back on the long yellow paper forms I've signed so many times before. The poll worker takes your voter registration card, photo ID, verifies it against their printout of registered voters in the precinct, and then you sign on the designated line. They pass you the magnetic card to activate the voting machine, and away I went.

Once I was out the door (just a few minutes later) there were 4 girls from one of the local high schools who were doing an exit poll. I was happy to answer their questions. Nice kids. They said they were going to be there until the polls closed at 7pm tonight. A long day for them.

Beautiful weather here today. Early voting was intense, breaking all records.

It should be a fun evening watching the returns coming in.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:10 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Please tell us how it was today?

For me, I live in Phoenix, which is in Maricopa county, Arizona

I arrived this morning a 6am, when the polls opened, and there were already about 100 people in line. When i pulled into the polling place (it was a small church) parking was difficult, and I did not see any Trump or Clinton signs. There were alot of John McCain signs all over the place.

I voted for Trump
I voted for Joe Arpaio for Sheriff
I voted for the Green party candidate for Senator
I voted yes in Legalizing pot
I voted NO for increasing taxes for education (they were asking for $144 million I think)

I was required to show ID (Im glad) I had to E-sign to get my ballot, and then put my ballot in the electronic slot to be counted

How was your experience?
well, if the issue fails... just thank yourself for not thinking education is important.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:15 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
In Connecticut at 1145am. Some Trump supporters campaigning outside the polling place. Went in maybe 5 people total lots of empty voting booths. Voted for Johnson/Weld, Republican House of Representative, Republican Senator, a Democrat State Representative, a Republican State Senator, and then an Independent Registar of Voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections