Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Trump win by larger amount than Reagan did in 1984?
Yes 17 42.50%
No 23 57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 01:08 PM

325 posts, read 153,816 times

Advertisements

If Trump does what he says and brings jobs back,closes down the border,incomes skyrocket etc will he eclipse Reagan's landslide win in 1984?

Also this is ASSUMING Trump wins in 2020.

I personally think he will. As of now the democrats are shattered into pieces,the leading candidate for the DNC is a Muslim with some comments he's made that will haunt the democrats. They have NO ONE that is obviously popular according to a poll I just saw so yeah I think he takes at least takes 47 states with a lot of hard work to take California,New York and Illinois.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:09 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,102,875 times
No one will ever match Reagan 1984.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:15 PM

325 posts, read 153,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
What's interesting is I was just looking at how much Mondale won Minnesota by and it led me to Nixon losing ONLY Massachusetts in 1972 election....very interesting.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:27 PM

1,184 posts, read 720,980 times
If his opponent is like
Michelle Obama, Tim Kaine, Pocahantus, or Michelle Obama absolutely. The elites will choose their candidate with super delegates again and repeat same mistakes

Old 12-24-2016, 01:37 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Likely not.

If he does a good job I could imagine him flipping New Hampshire, Colorado, Nevada, and possibly Minnesota (which would be quite remarkable since Minnesota was the only state Reagan never won) but states like California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts etc. will likely be permanently blue from now on.

Our Country is too divided on just about everything. We will likely never see a Reagan landslide ever again.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:41 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,849 times
No. Absolutely not. Back in 1984, the demographics of this country were much, much different than they are now.

It will never happen again.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:59 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,124,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Likely not.

If he does a good job I could imagine him flipping New Hampshire, Colorado, Nevada, and possibly Minnesota (which would be quite remarkable since Minnesota was the only state Reagan never won) but states like California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts etc. will likely be permanently blue from now on.

Our Country is too divided on just about everything. We will likely never see a Reagan landslide ever again.
California will go Republican again the SECOND Asians get tired of affirmative action.

They are a humble, hardworking people who don't make waves, but it is going to happpen eventually. They also take great pride in the achievements of their children and despise the idea that those who work lesss hard get spots that should go to them.

Besides this, I don't think you understand just how dystopian Cali has become. Things cannot last the way they are for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
No. Absolutely not. Back in 1984, the demographics of this country were much, much different than they are now.

It will never happen again.
For over 20 years now Dems have been telling us that we are on the wrong end of changing demographics which will yield them a new, permanent majority. And yet the Republican party is totally, completely ascendant. How is this?

Please learn the lesson: demogrpahics are not destiny. Black voters, and black voters only vote almost strictly on race. Reagan and Bush 43 both got around 40% of the Hispanic vote by espousing policies friendly to them, but what should be troubling to the Dems is that Trump did better with them than McCain or Romney whiles bashing illegal immigrants. THIS MEANS THAT HISPANICS ARE STARTING TO BECOME MORE REPUBLCIAN NATURALLY as they become more affluent, educated, and intermarried with whites.

Asians too have showed signs in this election and the preceding midterms of slow but steady shift. There will of course be ups and downs, but the next 20 years are going to be extremely good for the GOP.

For the party of riots, microagressions, identity politics, toilet room issues, safe spaces, higher taxes, attempts to steal the electoral college, elitism, calling people deplorables, open border, and rationalizing terrrorism...not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Likely not.

People divide and people come together. If Trump is successful, not saying he will be, but if he is, he completely re-writes the playbook by peeling off a massive amount of the Democrat base. This time it was white working class voters, but Hispanics want jobs too.

Last edited by cachibatches; 12-24-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-24-2016, 02:09 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
No. The left has played racial politics to the extreme, which means that many states would never fall to Trump, not even if he was the second coming of Christ. I'm talking about California, Maryland, Delaware, etc.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:27 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacSoc View Post
What's interesting is I was just looking at how much Mondale won Minnesota by and it led me to Nixon losing ONLY Massachusetts in 1972 election....very interesting.
In '72, McGovern also won DC.

I voted for the first time that year and I voted in MA. When Watergate happened, bumper stickers showed up that said "Don't blame me. I'm from Massachusetts".

Old 12-24-2016, 03:43 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,300,036 times
In 1984, Ronald Reagan won 59% of the national popular vote with a margin of nearly 17 million votes and won 525 to 13 in the electoral college, only losing Minnesota and D.C. And he lost Minnesota by less than 4 thousand votes. To say that Le Grand Orange, or anyone else, is going to "eclipse" Reagan '84 is a sure sign that it's time to step away from the bottle and put down the bong and stick to coffee for awhile.

Reagan cleaned up so much in '84, there's darn little to "eclipse", and as someone already noted, it's an entirely different electorate and time. Both sides have their 46-48% of the vote locked in, meaning there's not much of a chance for a landslide for anyone.

Won or lose, how much has the national pop vote varied?

In the 5 elections since 2000, the Democratic share of the pop vote has varied from a low of 48.04% to a high of 52.86%. The Republican share has varied from 45.6% to 50.73%.

As long as the variances stay within that narrow a range, there's not going to be a landslide in terms of popular vote because there aren't enough movable voters to get close to a 10 point win.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 12-24-2016 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections