Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times

Advertisements

Obama and His Wonks - The Opinionator - Opinion - New York Times Blog

Good piece but I wonder what to think about these advisors and I also wonder how much Obama will take their advice?

Quote:
A central tenet of the economic thinking favored by Bill Clinton and his Treasury secretary, Robert Rubin, was that cutting the deficit lowers long-term interest rates, which in turn stimulates the economy. The Obamanauts are perfectly willing to accept the relationship between long-term rates and economic growth. But recent evidence suggests that low rates weren’t quite as central to the success of the Clinton years as they appeared, and that investments in infrastructure and R&D might be as important as deficit reduction. Not surprisingly, Obama plans to focus less on the deficit than Clinton did.
I wonder what to think of this? In this "coming age" of inflation, isn't a lower interest rate going to be desireable? Can we really judge economics on the last 7 years of "print, borrow and spend"? I think investing in infrastructure and R & D are important -- but I think cutting the deficit is too. And what happens if we lose our status as the world's reserve currency?

Are there other economic wonks out there? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
This is a link from the previous article: The Audacity of Data

I dunno, but I don't think I particularly like this:
Quote:
The Clintonites were moderates, but they were also ideological. They explicitly rejected the liberalism of the 1970s and '80s. The Obamanauts are decidedly non-ideological. They occasionally reach out to progressive think tanks like the Economic Policy Institute, but they also come from a world-- academic economics--whose inhabitants generally lean right. (And economists at the University of Chicago lean righter than most.)
You know, one issue that I don't see mentioned anywhere is that it appears that Obama is really uncontrollable when he starts speaking.

His economic advisors and foreign policy advisors seem to be speaking a language he isn't always following.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Yeah, that's terrible. Economic policy formed by a range of non-ideological expert economists.

This has to be stopped.

Seriously though, thanks for posting this. It served to increase my confidence in the success of a future Obama administration.

Last edited by jdiddy; 02-29-2008 at 06:05 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Yes, great links UB50. So Obama's economic advisers are "pragmatic and non-ideological", and are also believers in "behavioral economics"? Sounds good to me.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Thanks for posting this. I now have even more confidence that Obama is surrounding himself with great people that will accomplish great things.

A big criticism of the Clinton administration was that there was too much theoretical debate and not enough action. Sounds like Obama might have learned from that criticism.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:26 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
I think there is no 'silver bullet' answer to any economy. Reaganomics had it's positive side, Clintonomics had it's positive side... but they also had their negative sides.

One aspect of economy not talked about much is how economy is perceived by the population and the effect that has.

For example, If we had a plan in place to eliminate the deficit (even though it would take a couple of decades) and/or a strong committment by government to have a balanced budget, and/or a strong committment by government to not over tax the people... that perception in & of itself builds confidence in the economy. That, in turn, can be a type of generator to help the economy as people may save more by investments, spend a bit more, and possibly encourage them to lower their own personal debt.

I guess I'd call it the human factor.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:30 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

I wonder what to think of this? In this "coming age" of inflation, isn't a lower interest rate going to be desirable? Can we really judge economics on the last 7 years of "print, borrow and spend"? I think investing in infrastructure and R & D are important -- but I think cutting the deficit is too. And what happens if we lose our status as the world's reserve currency?

Are there other economic wonks out there? What do you think?
Not sure what you mean by a lower interest rate is desirable in an inflationary environment.

The problem with the current low interest rate environment is that it has provided incentives for "investment", but really blind spending, in what proved to be many unworthy adventures, leading to such phenomena as the housing bubble, an excess of SUVs, credit card binges, not to mention the war.

The purpose of interest rates is to strike a balance between consumption and production. Worthy investments will clear the hurdle of higher interest rates, unworthy ones will not.

There isn't necessarily a contradiction between investing in infrastructure and R&D, on the one hand, and reducing the deficit on the other.

It depends on the mix of who's doing the spending (private/government sector) and how wisely and efficiently one spends.

We must put into perspective the idea under Secretary Rubin that cutting the deficit leads to lower interest rates and stimulates the economy: it came after a long period, roughly the late 1960s to the early 1980s, of high deficits, high interest rates, and slow growth. Rubin finished the job started under the Reagan administration.

Now the problem is not necessarily the tax side of fiscal policy, but the drunken-sailor monetary policy which allows for runaway spending and back-door taxation through inflation.

So the task now is to get a handle on monetary policy and restore equilbrium to domestic production and consumption. Worthwhile infrastructure and R&D projects will clear the hurdle of higher interest rates.

If the dollar loses its status as the world's reserve currency, then interest rates would go up, perhaps even more so than they otherwise already should, and in any case it would be harder to finance such adventures as foreign wars.

I am not saying that investing in the so-called Middle East to secure fossil fuel energy supplies is not a good investment, but the way the Bush administration has handled it has been grossly inefficient.

I would love to see McCain and Obama debate monetary policy.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:41 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,663,930 times
The more I read about $obamba$ the more money I better hide because he is coming to take it.
Hold onto your purses and wallets the $obominator$ is not only a liar, he is the new "robinhood" and his "change" means that you wont have any more "change" left in your pocket.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:39 AM

607 posts, read 923,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The problem with the current low interest rate environment is that it has provided incentives for "investment", but really blind spending, in what proved to be many unworthy adventures, leading to such phenomena as the housing bubble, an excess of SUVs, credit card binges
So, low interest rates would work if Americans had an ounce of self-control?

Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
So, low interest rates would work if Americans had an ounce of self-control?
That's one way of putting it, yes.

You know, I save a lot, but I have to invest overseas to protect my saving against US inflation. I can't find a worthy investment in something concrete domestically, except for maybe solar panels and other forays into alternative energy.

Actually it's quite sad.

Now, if we could only transform our zeal to consume into research into alternative energies, making transport more price effective and factories more efficient ...

Well, maybe not ... it's easier to keep interest rates low and borrow and spend our way into oblivion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections