Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:35 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Not true.
True. Reagan was a keynesian and massively increased the size of the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
True. Reagan was a keynesian and massively increased the size of the government.
Still not true. If you think there is another Republican more qualified and more conservative than Reagan, please name him or her. Reagan ran on a very conservative agenda. Not all of it happened. There's more to conservatism than small government BTW. Reagan compromised on the budget with Tip O'Neil and liberal spending Kennedy leading the Democrats in Congress. Congress spends money. The President can only work with what is handed to him. Democrats controlled Congress while he was in office.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:11 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
I voted for Brown in 2010 because he tells it like it is and doesn't take s***

People would probably gain more respect for Brown if they watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5kUITklALQ

Old 01-19-2017, 08:23 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
It will be Peter Thiel who will be running for governor of California on the Republican side next cycle. Peter Thiel considering bid for California governor - POLITICO get ready for a gay, high tech, billionaire running a beautiful state which has been horribly mismanaged.
He's not running yet, nevermind elected.

I remember the last GOP savior of CA....Ahnuld. That worked out well.

If Brown runs again, I don't think Thiel can be beat him. Maybe Thiel should run for Governor of TX. He might do ok there.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:31 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
He's not running yet, nevermind elected.

I remember the last GOP savior of CA....Ahnuld. That worked out well.

If Brown runs again, I don't think Thiel can be beat him. Maybe Thiel should run for Governor of TX. He might do ok there.
Brown can't run again. He's limited to 2 consecutive terms. Arnold was the most liberal Republican I've seen in my life time.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:28 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,606,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
It will be Peter Thiel who will be running for governor of California on the Republican side next cycle. Peter Thiel considering bid for California governor - POLITICO get ready for a gay, high tech, billionaire running a beautiful state which has been horribly mismanaged.
Peter Thiel seems to hit the right notes in regard to what makes Republicans acceptable in modern-day California, but his Trump support may be too much to overcome. Thiel may have to get creative in marketing himself to the state.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:29 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,606,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I voted for Brown in 2010 because he tells it like it is and doesn't take s***

People would probably gain more respect for Brown if they watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5kUITklALQ
I doubt that Brown supports a flat tax today (as he did in 1992).

Old 01-20-2017, 06:01 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Still not true. If you think there is another Republican more qualified and more conservative than Reagan, please name him or her. Reagan ran on a very conservative agenda. Not all of it happened. There's more to conservatism than small government BTW. Reagan compromised on the budget with Tip O'Neil and liberal spending Kennedy leading the Democrats in Congress. Congress spends money. The President can only work with what is handed to him. Democrats controlled Congress while he was in office.
I'll respectfully disagree. The Reagan of 1966-1988 (Governor and Presidency) would be eaten alive by the partisan politics of today. When he ran for governor, he campaigned on business like reforms making sure the government did not expand unnecessarily. But he was pragmatic and was willing to work with the other side to ensure the state did not suffer. He raised taxes in CA to cover a budget deficit. He signed the California Environmental Quality Act and signed a bill that expanded access to abortion. He did say the latter was the only thing he regretted but he understood he was governor to all the people. If he held any of those thoughts as a Republican gubernatorial candidate today, he wouldn't get the nomination.

As President, he was also a pragmatic and would be vilified by the right. He raised taxes 11 times, including on the rich, increased government size and spending, signed immigration reform legislation including a path to citizenship, advocated the Brady gun control law, agreed to a treaty on climate, and signed a treaty to reduce nuclear arms with the Soviet Union. He also got tax reform, deregulation, and increased military spending. But all that happened because he was willing to compromise. That alone would make it difficult to get past the primaries in a Presidential contest today.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:11 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Unless you dug up the majority of Reagan's voters, along with Reagan, he wouldn't stand a chance against Brown today. The electorate in California has changed too much.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Reagan because he could reach across the isle , better than Brown. Brown is successful because Ca. is controlled by the left. It Reagan was running that would change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections