Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,647,185 times

Advertisements

I think Hillary just shot herself in the foot. She mentioned Obama as a running mate. I was considering voting for her in the November election, but if he is her choice for Vice President, I will definitely vote for someone else. There are much better choices for Vice President.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think Hillary just shot herself in the foot. She mentioned Obama as a running mate. I was considering voting for her in the November election, but if he is her choice for Vice President, I will definitely vote for someone else. There are much better choices for Vice President.
There's no way in Hades that she will ask him to be her runningmate or vice versa.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,211,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
There's no way in Hades that she will ask him to be her runningmate or vice versa.

she was asked that question
she was not the one that brought it up
that is the latest media question becasue they can not get over they were all wrong AGAIN saying Hillary could not win on Tuesday night
there is no way she would want him especially after what he will look like in a few weeks when the press hounds get finished with him
his vetting has begun! finally.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 606,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
"Spamming"? I don't see anything wrong with expressing my opinion. You don't agree (because your candidate Paul is irrelevant), that's your problem isn't it?

I don't care what Dean says, it's inevitable.
Creating multiple identically-themed threads a day is "Spamming". It is quite possible for you to post your illogical rants all in one trolling thread per day, even with ADHD.

By the way, you still haven't answered why the DNC should "force Hillary out" when 67% of Democrats polled want her to stay IN. Can you please address the issues that you raise instead of typing more senseless babble, for once?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...ml#post3044695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
This is exactly what I've been saying and precisely how I saw the results from yeserday.

Obama simply needs to continue what he's doing, while Hillary struggles to give the appearance that she's a viable candidate. Her only hope is for Obama to be in a charitable mood and put her on his ticket. I don't see this happening.

There is increasing call for Hillary to concede. Her continued presence is only dividing the party. The electorate favors Obama.

Seems clear to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
Where is the call coming from? This poll was if she lost ONE of the big states yesterday.

Poll: 67% Want Hillary to Keep Fighting Even if She Loses a Big State Today,

Democrats by more than a 2-1 margin say Hillary Clinton should stay in the presidential race even if she loses either the Texas or Ohio primary on Tuesday. But if she fails in both, fewer than half say they'd want her to fight on.

ABC News: Should Clinton Stay or Go? Dems Say Stay!

Last edited by BVH; 03-06-2008 at 08:43 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 08:55 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,866,048 times
I think people need to stop circumventing the democratic process. And to think we give Putin a hard time for hand-picking his predecessor. Sheesh!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:57 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
I know this may sound condescening and pompass. Forgive me, but it must be said.

Many of you are too young to understand and appreciate what is about to happen to the Democratic Party. Forty years ago, it was nearly tossed onto the junk heap of politics. The Dixiecrats and their segregation platform had worn out their welcome, but vowed to fight for their party territory. At the same time, the northern big city political machines were similarly exclusionary and provincial. It had become evident that the party was fractured, and was near doom. Ironically, what saved the party was the Republican Party's welcoming of the Dixiecrats into their fold. Thereafter, the choice for millions of Americans was clear: the Democratic Party was much more welcoming than the Republicans.

What many people today--especially young people--fail to realize is that the Dem Party has arrived at a very similar turning point. It's a party that's prepared to sacrifice long-term success and viability in exchange for a short-term "win". This kind of delayed gratification is inherent in immaturity and lack of discipline. But unfortunately, the elders and wise ones in the Democratic Party are paralyzed with fear or are drunk with power.

This party is about to lose its way, and will be irrelevant for the next decade and perhaps beyond. And if few people realize it, then maybe that's what's supposed to happen.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 606,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I know this may sound condescening and pompass. Forgive me, but it must be said.

Many of you are too young to understand and appreciate what is about to happen to the Democratic Party. Forty years ago, it was nearly tossed onto the junk heap of politics. The Dixiecrats and their segregation platform had worn out their welcome, but vowed to fight for their party territory. At the same time, the northern big city political machines were similarly exclusionary and provincial. It had become evident that the party was fractured, and was near doom. Ironically, what saved the party was the Republican Party's welcoming of the Dixiecrats into their fold. Thereafter, the choice for millions of Americans was clear: the Democratic Party was much more welcoming than the Republicans.

What many people today--especially young people--fail to realize is that the Dem Party has arrived at a very similar turning point. It's a party that's prepared to sacrifice long-term success and viability in exchange for a short-term "win". This kind of delayed gratification is inherent in immaturity and lack of discipline. But unfortunately, the elders and wise ones in the Democratic Party are paralyzed with fear or are drunk with power.

This party is about to lose its way, and will be irrelevant for the next decade and perhaps beyond. And if few people realize it, then maybe that's what's supposed to happen.
You are absolutely correct. I would take it a step further and say that it has already happened. The notion that the Clinton and Obama factions will come together and coelesce after the primary is over is becoming more distant and increasingly impossible with each passing day.

The fact is, this election has become far more about the personality and possibilities of each candidate in particular than what's "good for the party". I know this is essentially true in all elections, but, this one is the most polarizing cycles that I have ever seen.

I couldn't care less what happens to the DNC or the RNC. I care what happens to ME and my family. That's why I absolutely refuse to vote for Obama if Hillary loses. I have many reasons for that, but, that's the way it is. I am 100% certain that most Obama supporters feel that way as well.

The Democrats lost their way a LONG time ago. A great case in point is the current Democratic Congress. They have absolutely NO backbone. They sit, lie down or roll over every time the Bush Administration speaks.

It can also be reasonably argued that the entire Party system in America is on it's last legs. I used an analogy with a friend of mine the other night: Republicans and Democrats = Coke and Pepsi. Which flavor do you prefer? Because they are essentially the same anymore with regards to what they accomplish for the average Middle and Lower class Americans. If you are poor or disadvantaged, the establishment expects you to just do your duty as "good Americans" and just die. America is all about corporate greed.

I believe that Hillary Clinton the person, not the "Democrat", is the best and only one of the 3 major candidates who will actively pursue and successfully achieve, real solutions to the problems that face ordinary Americans based on her proven track record of achieving these goals in the past.

Last edited by BVH; 03-06-2008 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post

Now don't get all whipper snapper-y on us backfist. Your history lesson is spot on, but the GOP has gone through ebb and flows as well (Nixon???).

Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,866,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
You are absolutely correct. I would take it a step further and say that it has already happened. The notion that the Clinton and Obama factions will come together and coelesce after the primary is over is becoming more distant and increasingly impossible with each passing day.

The fact is, this election has become far more about the personality and possibilities of each candidate in particular than what's "good for the party". I know this is essentially true in all elections, but, this one is the most polarizing cycles that I have ever seen.

I couldn't care less what happens to the DNC or the RNC. I care what happens to ME and my family. That's why I absolutely refuse to vote for Obama if Hillary loses. I have many reasons for that, but, that's the way it is. I am 100% certain that most Obama supporters feel that way as well.

The Democrats lost their way a LONG time ago. A great case in point is the current Democratic Congress. They have absolutely NO backbone. They sit, lie down or roll over every time the Bush Administration speaks.

It can also be reasonably argued that the entire Party system in America is on it's last legs. I used an analogy with a friend of mine the other night: Republicans and Democrats = Coke and Pepsi. Which flavor do you prefer? Because they are essentially the same anymore with regards to what they accomplish for the average Middle and Lower class Americans. If you are poor or disadvantaged, the establishment expects you to just do your duty as "good Americans" and just die. America is all about corporate greed.

I believe that Hillary Clinto the person, not the "Democrat", is the best and only one of the 3 major candidates who will actively pursue and successfully achieve, real solutions to the problems that face ordinary Americans based on her proven track record of achieving these goals in the past.
Good analogy. And what do Coke and Pepsi do when they start drastically losing market share to coffee shops, Gatorade and bottled water? They start buying them up. Same with the parties, they start buying up all the fringe groups that are chipping away at their majorities.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,987,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
No kidding. This is becoming "how to say the same thing in as many threads as possible."

But it must be in Obama's playbook, probably in the chapter entitled, "How to Effectively Get Rid of Opponents," begun in 1996.

Actually the Clintons' would be experts on this starting with "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections