Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:56 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Ross Perot lost because he quit the campaign with a big lead then joined back again. He might have won the popular vote if he stayed in but the problem is if you don't get to 270 electors congress decides the president.
Who knows? If Perot had a party behind him, I think it's possible he wouldn't have backed out at all. An argument could be made either way.

But one thing is for sure. Without a party, any independent must convince electors to abandon their own party to vote for him in the electoral college.

That makes things doubly hard, because electors are the most committed voters; they have to seek their own election within their party to join the college. So the electors are more dedicated to their party than the average voter.

And it is the electoral votes that decide every election. Except in the few winner-take-all states, every electoral voter must vote the way his party goes on the first electoral college ballot. If there is a tie in that ballot, only then are the electors released to vote for whomever they wish.

That's why forming a party that can appeal to a lot of voters is so important. The only way I can see to form a new party that can draw a big base is by making it a place for all the unhappy moderates in both the majors.

I don't see guns as being an issue that will block the formation of such a party or restricted abortion either. Most moderates, I think, want to see some reasonable restrictions on both, but don't want either banned or wide open.

What they do want is an end to the You Lose, I Win mentality that has infected both the majors, where winning has become more important than governing.

I also think moderates are all real tired of the Winner Takes All mentality as well, where winning means the winners get everything they want with no opposition at all, even toward the most extreme things that are wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections