Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
A lot of this stuff is true. I don't think it is in anyway racism but simply open discussion. No cutting and hidding....just simply the truth in its own words.
Romans were Italian? Was there such a place called Italy back then??? Was there such a place called Europe, where these so called Europeans were???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Obama's words: If we're honest with ourselves, we'll acknowledge that our own community has not always been true to King's vision of a beloved community.
link (http://www.pamshouseblend.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=4223 - broken link)
And in other news: date was wrong: Obama in the audience story false

Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
A lot of this stuff is true. I don't think it is in anyway racism but simply open discussion. No cutting and hidding....just simply the truth in its own words.
It is racism.
If the quotes were turned and said by a white man about black people, everyone would scream and yell.
Racism knows no color. I have seen African Americans be just as racist toward whites, Latino's, Asian, etc. as whites have been toward African Americans in the past.
Jeremiah Wright's quotes (and there are MANY, MANY more) are plain and simple hate-mongering and racist.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,158,452 times
I don't see how this can be an advantage for Sen. Obama. Linking him to racist remarks/behaviour by his Pastor might garner him some points in the black movement type voter group, but will cost him dearly in the white and hispanic vote. Since African Americans are only 12 percent of the population, even he gets all of the black vote, I don't think it will be enough to offset the lost white and hispanic vote.

Its a shame. His advisors screwed him royally.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
August 2003 sermon:

".......America is a country of rich white people...
That sounds about right.

CRP: Personal Financial Disclosure Reports

Black Wealth/ White Wealth: A New ... - Google Book Search

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

Quote:
who have gotten that way through the sweat of us black people.
Yep. Slavery was a beeotch and its effects are still obvious today.

Slave Profits and the Roots of the Wealth Gap
The Black Commentator - Cover Story: Wealth of a (White) Nation - Blacks Sink Deeper in Hole - Issue 110 (http://www.blackcommentator.com/110/110_cover_white_wealth.html - broken link)

Quote:
Their answer to us is create more drugs to addict our children to (crack)...
I don't think crack was invented by white people to addict black kids, but black crack dealers and abusers suffer WAY more punishment than surban white dealers and users.
Sentencing Commission Report Finds Disparity in Cocaine Sentencing The Third Branch, March 1995
Will Congress fix drug sentencing? - By Larry Schwartztol - Slate Magazine

Quote:
build bigger prisons, force us into unlivable ghettos.........
"One in nine Black males between the ages of 20 and 34 is behind bars, compared to one in 30 for the general population; one in 100 Black women in their 30s is incarcerated, versus 1 in 265 for all women."
U.S. prison population explodes
Quote:
I am tired of negroes who don't get this. When these white folks sing God Bless America, I say God Damn America!! Because He does. Our Lord hates America. God Damn America....."
"No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots."
-Barbara Ehrenreich

Old 03-17-2008, 12:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Romans were Italian? Was there such a place called Italy back then??? Was there such a place called Europe, where these so called Europeans were???
I don't agree with all that black jesus stuff but i can tell you for sure that....

1.Hillary doesn't know what it feels like to be pulled over for driving a nice car in a wrong neighborhood

2. Hillary doesn't know what it feels like to be poor despite faking all that in the campaign.

3. No one has criticized Hillary for not being white enough b/c perhaps ther is no such a thing as being white enough

4. 4 of approximately 6 AIDS consipiracies point out to US gov't. The motive...I still do not know

5. Crack vs Cocaine: I don't need to say anything about this one besides to blame the congress for passing such laws which clearly target one party within communities.

I don't wanna sound hateful or anything but it is nothing but the truth and majority of us seem not to like it

Old 03-17-2008, 12:45 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,354,845 times
Quote:
I think Obama is a pretty darned good guy.
Is he a politician?
Without a doubt.
Is he flawless?
Probably not.
But he knows and understands the *human* experience, and I think he wants to improve everyone's lot in life, not just one subsection.
I agree!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Here are some of Jeremiah Wrights hate-mongering, racist quotes. He sounds no different than the white racist David Duke. Racism knows no color.

August 2003 sermon:

".......America is a country of rich white people, who have gotten that way through the sweat of us black people. Their answer to us is create more drugs to addict our children to (crack), build bigger prisons, force us into unlivable ghettos.........I am tired of negroes who don't get this. When these white folks sing God Bless America, I say God Damn America!! Because He does. Our Lord hates America. God Damn America....."

December 2007 Christmas sermon:

"......everybody knows that Jesus was a black man.....killed by the Romans, who were Italian, which makes them european, which makes them white. They controlled the whole area where Jesus lived.......Like Barack, the rich white folks are trying to tear him down.......Hillary Clinton doesn't know what it's like to be pulled over for driving a nice car in the wrong neighborhood. Hillary has never had a cab pass her by....Hillary didn't grow up black in single mother house like Barack did....Hillary has never had her own people criticize her for not being white enough....Nooooo....Hillary has never been called a ******.........She doesn't know what it's like to be poor...."

I think many white people either don't see how the blacks have been treated or don't wish to see. This preacher is not far off. By keeping the blacks poor with low wages, etc. they have contributed to their demise, to their drug problem, etc. Whites do the same to the Mexican here. I don't think his statements are racist; there is too much truth in them. You need to study black history in order to know exactly what has been done to the blacks, and then read American Indian history as well as Mexicans in the U.S. I studied black history in college, and it was an eye-opener. I just began studying American Indian history, and it too is an eye opener. I have studied the Mexican situation in American, and it is heartbreaking as well. I actually don't think that Obama had to say that he disagreed with his minister. Sorry, but you can't compare him to Duke!!! I don't think he hates all whites and wants to see them dead. I don't think he engages or wishes to engage in lynchings. And as for Obama, from listening to his tapes, I see that he wants to lift up all people no matter what race they are.

If anyone comes back with, they should get over it, well, people don't get over these things no matter how hard they try. I have had Jewish friends that couldn't get over the holocaust, and I used to think, "Get over it." Now I have learned through studying psychology that it isn't easy getting over anything. Just like Vietnam vets have not gotten over their experience in Vietnam. And the black experience lasted far longer than any war.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Hahahahaha, you call that racist hate mongering? Man, you really need to get a clue, try going to Stormfront or any other neo-nazi discussion board, there you'll see some honest to god racist hate mongering. And you'll see that what they say, and what is said by rev. Wright are not even close, they're not even in the same ballpark.

What I find to be very scary and should be of some serious concern for some of the posters on this thread, is that they seem to not be able to tell the difference between racist hate mongering, and honest criticism based upon historical context.
Your common sense and intellligence is wonderful. I wish more people could see through this like you do. I gave you a rep, and if I could I would give you a hundred. Your last paragraph is the best. I hope people can see the difference in racism and historical criticism. I wish more people would study black history. It may help them to understand this preacher's remarks. And most of it isn't history.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I think many white people either don't see how the blacks have been treated or don't wish to see. This preacher is not far off. By keeping the blacks poor with low wages, etc. they have contributed to their demise, to their drug problem, etc. Whites do the same to the Mexican here. I don't think his statements are racist; there is too much truth in them. You need to study black history in order to know exactly what has been done to the blacks, and then read American Indian history as well as Mexicans in the U.S. I studied black history in college, and it was an eye-opener. I just began studying American Indian history, and it too is an eye opener. I have studied the Mexican situation in American, and it is heartbreaking as well. I actually don't think that Obama had to say that he disagreed with his minister. Sorry, but you can't compare him to Duke!!! I don't think he hates all whites and wants to see them dead. I don't think he engages or wishes to engage in lynchings. And as for Obama, from listening to his tapes, I see that he wants to lift up all people no matter what race they are.

If anyone comes back with, they should get over it, well, people don't get over these things no matter how hard they try. I have had Jewish friends that couldn't get over the holocaust, and I used to think, "Get over it." Now I have learned through studying psychology that it isn't easy getting over anything. Just like Vietnam vets have not gotten over their experience in Vietnam. And the black experience lasted far longer than any war.
This is well written and you make good points, but we are living in the present, not the past. Hate and racism exist in Jeremiahs Wright's words, as well as the man he honored, Farrakhan. Jeremiah Wright comes off as a racist. How do you explain their (he and Farrakhan) hate-mongering, anti-semitic comments toward Israel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections