Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:24 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,719 times

Advertisements

Ever since Obama's pastor's remarks have gotten all over TV, all everyone can seem to talk about is Obama being racist. There was even a thread about how in his books he made remarks about resenting the white part of him, or something.

What do all of these issues have in common? They were taken out of context.

I'm almost positive Rev. Wright did not go to church EVERY Sunday and preach about the way blacks are treated in America. Why don't you listen to the entire sermon instead of just one part, and see how it makes sense?

Sure, Barack Obama may have attented the same church for 20 years, and may have heard some things he did not approve of. But does that mean he agrees with them? Just because someone is your pastor, it doesn't mean that you will agree on everything he/she says. On top of that, these views aren't even Obama's views; they're his pastors.

You can't just get up and desert someone because they said something you don't agree with. If you we're with a fitness coach and they said you were fat - something you don't really want to hear - do you just get up and leave them? The same is happening with his pastor. Wright married Obama and Michelle, and baptised his daughters. These are important things. The person that did these things for your family will always be important to you. So does it really make sense to desert him because he said a few things he disagrees with? I don't think so.

Wright was basically saying some of the things Malcolm X said during the Civil Rights Movement... and some of those views are still not accepted today (obviously)....

So instead of taking every thing out of context, why don't you get the entire story instead of one part that doesn't give the entire picture..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 02:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Ever since Obama's pastor's remarks have gotten all over TV, all everyone can seem to talk about is Obama being racist. There was even a thread about how in his books he made remarks about resenting the white part of him, or something.

I'm almost positive Rev. Wright did not go to church EVERY Sunday and preach about the way blacks are treated in America. Why don't you listen to the entire sermon instead of just one part, and see how it makes sense?

Sure, Barack Obama may have attented the same church for 20 years, and may have heard some things he did not approve of. But does that mean he agrees with them? Just because someone is your pastor, it doesn't mean that you will agree on everything he/she says. On top of that, these views aren't even Obama's views; they're his pastors.

You can't just get up and desert someone because they said something you don't agree with. If you we're with a fitness coach and they said you were fat - something you don't really want to hear - do you just get up and leave them? The same is happening with his pastor. Wright married Obama and Michelle, and baptised his daughters. These are important things. The person that did these things for your family will always be important to you. So does it really make sense to desert him because he said a few things he disagrees with? I don't think so.

Wright was basically saying some of the things Malcolm X said during the Civil Rights Movement... and some of those views are still not accepted today (obviously)....

So instead of taking every thing out of context, why don't you get the entire story instead of one part that doesn't give the entire picture..

People claim racism but can't point out any statement that was racist. Funny even Fox News had to quickly go to commercial when they were asked to point out any racist comment by the pastor. Politically, I agree, One cannot support any anti-American statements. But personally, I would probably rank in the top 10 for among people that are "Anti-America" BTW, Being anti- America is being anti-US gov't.

Why should I be pro-US gov't when Dick Cheney gives responses like this when interviewed.

Interviewer: 2/3 of Americans oppose this war, and think it was a bad idea

Cheney: Soooooo????

OMG, I almost broke my tv when i heard that.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:

Don't try to inject sense into these people. Resistance is futile.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:38 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
I stand by Obama. I think he is the right one for the country.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Wrong, I dont excuse racial comments as acceptable no matter what content they were delivered.

What they do have in common though, is they are all designed to seperate and divide the party for the benefit of the Clintons.

Last edited by pghquest; 03-20-2008 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-20-2008, 04:03 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
That man knew if he wanted to run for office he would be subjected to all of this. He knew even down to his first girlfriend at 14 would be interviewed looking for flaws and news to sell.

None of the things you read or heard were taken out of context. They came right from the racist mouth of that phony Minister. Live video !! How can live video be taken any other way but the exact specific words spoken? Do you think some one dubbed his racist speech? He said what he said.

You said you are almost positive the racist Minister did not go to church every Sunday to preach his hate. How positive are you? Once a racist, always a racist. Im pretty sure he did every Sunday. Many of his sermons are all over the internet for all to see. I suffererd through some of them. He hates you and I becuase we are white. He not only preached hate towards white people but he preached hate towards America and its govt. What makes him any different then the Sharptons and the Farrakhans of the world. Those 2 alone have more hate in their bodies then all the terrorists in the middle east combined.

Yes I and most of us can and do just get up and desert some one if they insult us as you say. Using your example, if my fitness trainer called me fat then not only would I walk away but I would leave using some very choice words if not a few well placed punches to go with it. Do you always let people walk all over you like that? It must feel terrible to be a Sheep. I hope I never get like that. Kill me first.

If I was dumb enough to waste my Sundays in church I think I would still be smart enough to stop going if my Minister said nasty things like that Minister says week after week. Imagine if a white Minister preached anti black sermons? Imagine if it got all over the internet? We would have renewed WATTS riots all over again like in 1965.

The only race here is the human race. When some who holds power like good ol Obama's Minister and uses that power to create hatred towards some one anyone, then we have a problem......dont we.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:07 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wrong, I dont excuse racial comments as acceptable no matter what content they were delivered.

What they do have in common though, is they are all designed to seperate and divide the party for the benefit of the Clintons.
Give us an example of one of the racist comments. I've seen a lot from Wright where he talks about institutions, but nothing where is demeaning or dehumanizing all white people.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:08 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
He not only preached hate towards white people .
Can you cite a specific example?

Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
What's the big deal? Rev Wright only made a political speech in a church that's tantamount to an endorsement.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:54 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
This is not ridiculous. This is the way it is, period.

If I were a betting man, I would put everything I own betting that the people who are defending Obama so feverishly would be demolishing any GOP candidate who called someone a mentor who made inflammatory comments about blacks.

The irony in all of this is almost worth the BS candidates we are having to settle for. The tolerant liberals who are always whining about the intolerant, racist, bigoted, evangelical white right are being exposed for their own double standards.

BTW, Obama's church also has "gay conversion" classes. Why is it that liberal gays aren't throwing a fit about this?

Anyway, don't read into my comments as taking up for the GOP. McCain is a douche and an idiot for courting John Hagee's support (among dozens of other reasons I think he's a douche and I won't be voting for him). But anyone who has criticized him for that and aren't at least equally apalled if not moreso about Obama and his pastor/mentor is truly blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections