Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:01 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae12 View Post
Should you be called a racist when you say racist comments or when you associate yourself with someone that does?
How can Obama be racist against white people when he is just as much white and he is black? It would be like accusing him of hating his mother.

You anti-Obama people are quite pathetic...and reaching. It's not helping Hillary when you focus on dead-ends and not justify why a pathetic person like Hillary is more worthy (which I know is a harder subject to address).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
i think you need to find something of interest to occupy time with instead of nit picking every word said until you can fabricate meaning where nothing is intended. Perhaps your racial issues with Obama are simple projection. I would think gardening would be a more beneficial pastime.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
racist - a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

Looking at the definition above, I think that the vast majority (like 85%) of people are racist to some degree. In term of the superiority issue...most ethnic groups foster some level of internal pride -- and we all know members of our own races that take that pride a 'bit' too far (although I don't think it usually get's to the "ruling over others" part...but it does get to the part where they vehemently criticize "outsiders").

Old 03-24-2008, 12:37 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mae12 View Post
jjg
i agree with you ,i wanted to know from those who think you are racist if you associate
yourself with one.
I grew up around different generations of family members who have opinons on race that some or most (I don't know) would find racist... I go to a HBCU, with peers who will vote for Obama no matter what whites say about him... and I have a Mexican friend who might not like black women all that well (maybe not finding them attractive... I dont know), and people will find them to be racist. But I don't distance myself from them. People will have different points of view that other races wont understand and take for racism. I can't speak for whites, just as much as I can speak for my race, but I can tell you this... Race will always be an issue in this country, not because a large number of blacks wont just forget segregation and slavery as if it never happend. And not because alot of whites have resentment or a belief that everything is in the past. Race will always be an issue becaus IT'S HUMAN NATURE. People of all races have some resentment twoards each other. That's just something we ALL have to deal with.
These people that I associate with...
That's my family... I was born in the late 80's, so I have no idea what they went through and I can't understand how my parents and grandparents view race. So I can't tell them how to feel just as much as they can't tell me. I do have some racist family members, and I also have non racist family members who only say what the rest of the country is to afraid to say, it seems.
Those are my dorm and class mates... a new generation who isn't naive enough to think racism is a dead and gone issue. They want a president who does focus on not just race, but the other issues as well. Obama, to most of us is STILL the best candidate, regardless of what a group of whites precieve as racist, while to most blacks just see every other day conversation.
And that's my best friend... who might not think of black women the way I do. So what. That's his view. It doesn't affect me and it doesn't make me change my mind. And I'm not going to think any different of him. He's a human. Just like me and anyone of you.
People will call me racist for just this post, probably. I know I'm not. That's their problem.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,722 times
Tell me who you walk with, and, I'll tell you who you are.

:]

Old 03-24-2008, 01:53 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Tell me who you walk with, and, I'll tell you who you are.

:]
I walk alone. I already know who I am. Like I mentioned, I'm one person with his own ideals. I'm not a sheep.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I walk alone. I already know who I am. Like I mentioned, I'm one person with his own ideals. I'm not a sheep.
You must be lonely walking by yourself without anyone around

Old 03-24-2008, 04:10 PM

265 posts, read 665,105 times
Both, the company he keeps and the words he says
his grandmother is a typical white person= racist comment,
making assumptions about all whites.
Company he keeps= church and associates he has are racist

What don't you get? Are all Obama supporters intellectually challenged?

Old 03-24-2008, 04:19 PM

558 posts, read 385,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I grew up around different generations of family members who have opinons on race that some or most (I don't know) would find racist... I go to a HBCU, with peers who will vote for Obama no matter what whites say about him... and I have a Mexican friend who might not like black women all that well (maybe not finding them attractive... I dont know), and people will find them to be racist. But I don't distance myself from them. People will have different points of view that other races wont understand and take for racism. I can't speak for whites, just as much as I can speak for my race, but I can tell you this... Race will always be an issue in this country, not because a large number of blacks wont just forget segregation and slavery as if it never happend. And not because alot of whites have resentment or a belief that everything is in the past. Race will always be an issue becaus IT'S HUMAN NATURE. People of all races have some resentment twoards each other. That's just something we ALL have to deal with.
These people that I associate with...
That's my family... I was born in the late 80's, so I have no idea what they went through and I can't understand how my parents and grandparents view race. So I can't tell them how to feel just as much as they can't tell me. I do have some racist family members, and I also have non racist family members who only say what the rest of the country is to afraid to say, it seems.
Those are my dorm and class mates... a new generation who isn't naive enough to think racism is a dead and gone issue. They want a president who does focus on not just race, but the other issues as well. Obama, to most of us is STILL the best candidate, regardless of what a group of whites precieve as racist, while to most blacks just see every other day conversation.
And that's my best friend... who might not think of black women the way I do. So what. That's his view. It doesn't affect me and it doesn't make me change my mind. And I'm not going to think any different of him. He's a human. Just like me and anyone of you.
People will call me racist for just this post, probably. I know I'm not. That's their problem.
Excellent post young man! Vote for Obama....he's your man!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:21 PM

558 posts, read 385,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting View Post
Both, the company he keeps and the words he says
his grandmother is a typical white person= racist comment,
making assumptions about all whites.
Company he keeps= church and associates he has are racist

What don't you get? Are all Obama supporters intellectually challenged?
Keep looking at those few words (that were taken out of context and a sermon that was said years ago, right after 9/11 when there was much anger in this country) and keep focusing on that. You are focusing on a grain of sand instead of the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections