Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:45 AM

1,018 posts, read 510,901 times

Advertisements

I remember sitting in my living room after voting Trump, honestly thinking that he had no chance based on the polls. My Grandpa, who also voted Trump, was watching with me when the results came pouring in. It was typical states for Trump at first. Then, North Carolina rolled in for Trump, we smiled, but didn't get our hopes up, as Romney won that state in 2012. But, when Florida came in for Trump, him and I cheered. We kept watching as the night went on. Then, Ohio was called for Trump. And I immediately thought: "Well, America finally woke up." Then Wisconsin came in for Trump, as did Iowa. We both has huge smiles on our faces and were happy we took our country back. Now we both realized Trump needed either PA or MI to take it. When they called PA for Trump, making him the 45th president, we stood up and cheered in excitement, and I shed tears of joy. Turns out Trump won MI too. It was an awesome history-making evening.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
Oh come on... lol

It was the never before seen level of emotional drama that was so funny.

Reminded me of a Sicilian funeral with all of the melodrama.

Have a sense of humor.
So glad Trump supporters get such joy at the distress of over half the country. They will be all the more understanding when the same happens to them in the future and Democrats laugh with glee not just that day but in the years following. Slow motion videos of Trump moving out of our White House with music playing Happy Days are Here Again, etc. will all be well-deserved because besides the country splitting irretrievably, the level of hostility has increased a thousand fold in the past twelve months. Trump supporters should remember all of this for when it comes back at them. Trump won by 70,000 votes in three states combined and lost the popular vote by 3 million. Remember all this when we're laughing back with equal or greater hostility.

Last edited by Seacove; 12-24-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-24-2017, 01:03 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So glad Trump supporters get such joy at the distress of over half the country. They will be all the more understanding when the same happens to them in the future and Democrats laugh with glee not just that day but in the years following. Slow motion videos of Trump moving out of our White House with music playing Happy Days are Here Again, etc. will all be well-deserved because besides the country splitting irretrievably, the level of hostility has increased a thousand fold in the past twelve months. Trump supporters should remember all of this for when it comes back at them. Trump won by 70,000 votes in three states combined and lost the popular vote by 3 million. Remember all this when we're laughing back with equal or greater hostility.
And once again, just like at President Obama's first Inauguration, the classless among us show up. Then you had the topless Dykes on Bikes at Clinton's first Inaugural Parade.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And once again, just like at President Obama's first Inauguration, the classless among us show up. Then you had the topless Dykes on Bikes at Clinton's first Inaugural Parade.
Comment makes no sense to me. And Clinton's first inaugural parade? In 1992???

Old 12-24-2017, 01:18 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
If a person of working age doesn't have a job (or if retired, didn't held one); choosing a life of state dependency.

If they immigrated illegally.

If they're a convicted felon (no such thing as an "ex-felon"),

then they have no business inside a voting booth in the first place, because they are more concerned with what they have to loot than what all of us have to lose.

This is the single most essential difference between the two sides of our current polarization.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
If a person of working age doesn't have a job (or if retired, didn't held one); choosing a life of state dependency.

If they immigrated illegally.

If they're a convicted felon (no such thing as an "ex-felon"),

then they have no business inside a voting booth in the first place, because they are more concerned with what they have to loot than what all of us have to lose.

This is the single most essential difference between the two sides of our current polarization.
Do all the opioid addicts in Appalachia and the Rust Belt have felony records? Aren't heroin and opioids illegal? Sounds like they should all lose their voting rights.

If this is the "single most essential difference between the two sides of our current polarization" (I don't believe it is), I personally believe there should be opportunities for felons to regain their rights based on an agreed upon criteria. One would think Christians who believe in rebirth and forgiveness would agree but this goes further to the motivation of making ex-felons successful tax paying members of society rather than permanent drags on society. I wonder how many homeless people in tents are felons who simply have not been able to secure solid employment.

I believe our current polarization has nothing to do with this. It started with Newt Gingrich when Clinton was in office. It got worse when Bush was elected by the Supreme Court by stopping a vote recount. It got even worse when Obama was elected and Republicans went full on insane, then elected a man that ran on calling Obama a Muslim Kenyan. Now Democrats will oppose anything Trump and the GOP do. There really is no going back because both sides of the country detest each other. IMO the country will regionalize in what is hopefully an amicable divorce. There is just too much hate and this thread is an excellent example of that.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:32 PM

465 posts, read 303,574 times
Quote:
There was such joy because of the amount of arrogance and looking down upon the flyover part of the country. So many people were pissed off because Obama favored policies that only benefited the coastal urban areas of America while watching job opportunities evaporate. Big Ten country got screwed the last twenty years by Democratic leaders and had a chance to give the middle finger and stuck it to them royally. Dems might win in 2020 but whatever progress they made with their agenda from '08-16 was sidetracked badly. I'm usually middle of the road, can't understand the fascination with guns but there's nothing better than seeing a bunch of liberals on their high horse thinking their so above a typical poor American and thinking their opinions matter more than them, only to see them get punched in the face.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
There was such joy because of the amount of arrogance and looking down upon the flyover part of the country. So many people were pissed off because Obama favored policies that only benefited the coastal urban areas of America while watching job opportunities evaporate. Big Ten country got screwed the last twenty years by Democratic leaders and had a chance to give the middle finger and stuck it to them royally. Dems might win in 2020 but whatever progress they made with their agenda from '08-16 was sidetracked badly. I'm usually middle of the road, can't understand the fascination with guns but there's nothing better than seeing a bunch of liberals on their high horse thinking their so above a typical poor American and thinking their opinions matter more than them, only to see them get punched in the face.
Obama helps fund programs for coal miners which Trump is considering ending in order to fund military spending.

Its programs, some launched under Democratic former President Barack Obama, are expected to create or retain more than 23,670 jobs and train and educate over 49,000 students and workers, the organization said.
Trump seeks to ax Appalachia economic programs, causing worry in coal country
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...KBN16N2VF?il=0

Obama brought healthcare coverage to people that hadn't had it before. More than 80% of the people on Obamacare are in Trump states.
More Than 80 Percent Of Obamacare Enrollees Live In Trump-Won States – Talking Points Memo

Obama tried to pass an infrastructure bill but Republicans refused due to the deficit - only to want to pass a tax program that increases the deficit by $1.4 Trillion and now wanting to introduce an infrastructure bill.

What goes around comes around and the same laughter Trump supporters have will only come back with greater vitriol from Democrats in the future. The accusations from Trump supporters were simply not true, just like Trump saying Obama was a Kenyan Muslim. I do think less of flyover country after the election of Trump, but at this point, I think it's best to peacefully divorce and regionalize. The two halves simply detest each other and there's no coming back from it.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:02 PM

465 posts, read 303,574 times
Quote:
Obama helps fund programs for coal miners which Trump is considering ending in order to fund military spending.

Its programs, some launched under Democratic former President Barack Obama, are expected to create or retain more than 23,670 jobs and train and educate over 49,000 students and workers, the organization said.
Trump seeks to ax Appalachia economic programs, causing worry in coal country
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...KBN16N2VF?il=0

Obama brought healthcare coverage to people that hadn't had it before. More than 80% of the people on Obamacare are in Trump states.
More Than 80 Percent Of Obamacare Enrollees Live In Trump-Won States – Talking Points Memo

Obama tried to pass an infrastructure bill but Republicans refused due to the deficit - only to want to pass a tax program that increases the deficit by $1.4 Trillion and now wanting to introduce an infrastructure bill.

What goes around comes around and the same laughter Trump supporters have will only come back with greater vitriol from Democrats in the future. The accusations from Trump supporters were simply not true, just like Trump saying Obama was a Kenyan Muslim. I do think less of flyover country after the election of Trump, but at this point, I think it's best to peacefully divorce and regionalize. The two halves simply detest each other and there's no coming back from it.
How do you see that working out? Create borders within the US? It's sad because the goal is to bring the country together but that won't happen when others will simply not listen to the other side of the argument.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:11 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:

No one who voted for or supported Trump, will ever be taken seriously again. In fact, when he's deposed, it will be an amazing thing, how quickly most of them will try to forget what they did and will deny any connection to the devastation. It will be as hard to find someone who will admit to supporting him, as it was to find an avowed nazi in Germany, after June of 1945.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections