Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Nope, not when you have a thriving economy, jobs, tax cuts, peace, ISIS nearly wiped out, Noko wanting peace, Russia as an ally.

Yeah I do understand that the mid year's often is harsh for the President's party but even harsher if the President is a Democrat. I thin the prospect of the Dems taking the House is 50%.
My “nope” was to the idea that the Republicans can gain seats in a time when they already hold most of the competitive seats and their president has a negative approval rating.

Odds are overwhelming that one of the following scenarios occurs:

1. Rosy R scenario: Republicans lose 10-22 seats but retain control of the House. Cook Political already has 10 R seats that they rate as either likely or leaning D with only 1 D seat leaning R. There's an additional 25 R seats rated as tossup as opposed to 2 D seats.

2. Democrats barely take control: Republicans lose 23-35 seats

3. Blue Wave: Democrats take more than 35 and take firm control.

#3 is the least likely as of now, but still much more likely IMO than Republicans gaining House seats, because there just aren’t that many legit targets.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 08-12-2018 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 02:38 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times
At what number of Republican seat loss do we transition from normal expected historical seat loss to "OMG, it's Trumps fault"?

Old 08-12-2018, 06:27 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
My “nope” was to the idea that the Republicans can gain seats in a time when they already hold most of the competitive seats and their president has a negative approval rating.

Odds are overwhelming that one of the following scenarios occurs:

1. Rosy R scenario: Republicans lose 10-22 seats but retain control of the House. Cook Political already has 10 R seats that they rate as either likely or leaning D with only 1 D seat leaning R. There's an additional 25 R seats rated as tossup as opposed to 2 D seats.

2. Democrats barely take control: Republicans lose 23-35 seats

3. Blue Wave: Democrats take more than 35 and take firm control.

#3 is the least likely as of now, but still much more likely IMO than Republicans gaining House seats, because there just aren’t that many legit targets.
I just said it's possible that Repubs gain seats, I don't think that's the current expectation but it's a battle between Democrats normally not showing up in off election years versus the trend of the party of the President losing seats....the other factors favoring Repubs is a strong economy, control over the border, peace and prosperity.

I think your 3 scenarios are pretty good but there is a 4th scenario that is admittedly unlikely at this point....Repubs picking up seats in the Senate & House.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:22 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Quote:
I just said it's possible that Repubs gain seats, I don't think that's the current expectation but it's a battle between Democrats normally not showing up in off election years versus the trend of the party of the President losing seats....the other factors favoring Repubs is a strong economy, control over the border, peace and prosperity.

I think your 3 scenarios are pretty good but there is a 4th scenario that is admittedly unlikely at this point....Repubs picking up seats in the Senate & House.
The Senate isn’t a stretch at all, but the House certainly is. There's only X number of contestable seats and the Republicans are currently holding the vast majority of them because of their successes in 2010 and 2014. The range of seats that are at all competitive are up to 7-1 or 8-1 currently Republican, based upon whose doing the analysis.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:34 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
At what number of Republican seat loss do we transition from normal expected historical seat loss to "OMG, it's Trumps fault"?
The average number of seats lost in the first presidential midterm by the President's party in congress is 15 seats.

Whatever seats the Republicans lose in the House in excess of 15, that will be Trump's fault.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:20 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:

The possibility exists the GOP could lose the House and actually pick up seats in the Senate. Due to the Democratic wave in 2006 and picking up a couple seats in 2012 despite a tough map, the Senate map for the Democrats is very tough this year. They could have a great midterm and still lose a Senate seat or two as a result. Likewise the GOP wave in 2010 set themselves up for a tough Senate map in 2016, so despite winning the Presidency they lost seats in the Senate in 2016, simply due to what seats were up.

If I were to guess at this point I would see Scenario 2 as the most likely Scenario. Democrats pick up a similar amount of House seats as they did in 2006. I do not expect the GOP to retain control, nor do I expect the Democrats to pick up nearly as many seats as the GOP did in 2010.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Obama cost the democrats 63 seats in 2010 and another 13 in 2014, did CNN blame him then?

Seats in Congress Gained/Lost by the President's Party in Mid-Term Elections

On average democrat presidents lose 32 house and 4 senate seats.
On average republican presidents lose 21 house and 3 senate seats.

Bush gained house and senate seats, it's not likely Trump will but I suspect there is more support for the GOP across the country than liberals and liberal media will believe or report on.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:16 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Nope, not when you have a thriving economy, jobs, tax cuts, peace, ISIS nearly wiped out, Noko wanting peace, Russia as an ally.

Yeah I do understand that the mid year's often is harsh for the President's party but even harsher if the President is a Democrat. I thin the prospect of the Dems taking the House is 50%.

Bwahahha. Others have addressed the economy portion of your nonsense, and I think the jobs part. So lets address some of the other ones:
Peace. Oh really?
White houses says we are fighting in 7 countries:
https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...even-countries

tax cuts...that only benefited the rich primarily. Turns out its not helping much of anyone else, and the deficit is jumping. In fact wages adjusted for inflation show us losing money for the average citizen.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ybacks-tax-cut

ISIS....nothing Trump has done has contributed to it. We cant look at anything and say "oh that helped"

N. Korea wanting peace? LOL. They played Trump, and are currently developing new missiles, and expanding their capability to do so:
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/02/62526...ction-facility

Russia as a ally. Really? You say that with a straight face? Russia is not our ally. What utter complete nonsense. They're currently engaging in interfering with our elections. We should be returning the favor. They are acting like a nation at war with us.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbest.../#6676c0c078f0

Eventually we will get real leadership and make Russia pay.

So no, I dont think that Republicans will do well in the mid terms. And you should try looking at reality to see why.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:43 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
by most estimates, Dems are going to gain 10 to 20 seats and fall just short of a majority.

I think the moment R's lose the house, that is when that OMG moment happens.

However, I think the realistic number is closer to 40 seats, because that is when you get into the unexpected losses category. R+10 seats becoming Democratic.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:57 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times
The above replies were what I was looking for because you just know that as soon as the GOP looses 5 seats it will all be Trumps fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections