Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

The American Spectator

Quote:
After McCain's plane was shot down, he fell into a lake in Hanoi, breaking a leg and both arms as he ejected from the plane. A crowd gathered and pulled him out of the water, kicking and hitting him as his right foot dangled next to his left knee at a 90 degree angle. Instead of being treated under the rules of the Geneva Convention, someone smashed a rifle butt into his shoulder and broke it. A bayonet was stuck into his ankle and his groin. Taken to the Hanoi Hilton, as the prison for American POWs was called, he was stretched out on the cold floor -- and over the next several days beaten again and again, his broken arms and leg included. They let him lay there for days in excruciating pain, lying in vomit and his own waste. Eventually he was moved to a hospital, never washed or cleaned, to lie with rats and swarming mosquitoes. His interrogators came to the "hospital" and -- repeatedly -- savagely beat him day after day as he shrieked in agony. Then it was back to his prison cell, where one guard would hold him while others took turns beating him over and over again. His ribs were broken, his teeth cracked. Both arms were broken, for the second time, neither set properly when finally treated.
Very interesting article. Also addresses "Appeasement" - the word that sent Obama into an apoplectic fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 02:25 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,761 times
Is it me or am i correct here? Hillary supporters are starting to kiss up to McCain - very pathetic indeed.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,004,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Is it me or am i correct here? Hillary supporters are starting to kiss up to McCain - very pathetic indeed.
Can we not say your undying and unquestionable support for Obama is not the same?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Can we not say your undying and unquestionable support for Obama is not the same?
Go ahead....you gonna need some sort of evidence though. Unlike you Clinton supporters who go from supporting Hillary, to bashing the democratic party, to kissing up to McCain; my stance has always been firm and steady.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
I think I have stated before I could no more vote for Hill&Bill than have my fingers cut off.

I am a conservative - who will vote for McCain.

I'm just rooting Hill&Bill on - to take it all the way to the convention floor, where the least battered, bloodied and bruised will go against McCain as serious damaged goods. That's my agenda.

What's wrong jnestorr? No empathy for Mac? Not even a tiny bit of respect for what he went through?

Old 05-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I think I have stated before I could no more vote for Hill&Bill than have my fingers cut off.

I am a conservative - who will vote for McCain.

I'm just rooting Hill&Bill on - to take it all the way to the convention floor, where the least battered, bloodied and bruised will go against McCain as serious damaged goods. That's my agenda.

What's wrong jnestorr? No empathy for Mac? Not even a tiny bit of respect for what he went through?
Okay....i usually treat politics as politics - never wanting to get into the liberal/conservative, left/right, or far left/far right. But since you have re-introduced me to that, I have one simple question for you: As far as i know the following people consider themselves conservatives
Lou Dobbs
Glen Beck
Sean Hannity
Rush Limbaugh....

Are your ideas and interests same as these folks listed above? If they are, lord have mercy then.....

Old 05-27-2008, 04:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
No empathy for Mac? Not even a tiny bit of respect for what he went through?
Everyone respects what McCain went through. This Memorial Day article sets up an ad hominem argument and uses McCain's horrible suffering to suit its own purposes, which I find pretty callous.

The author is warning against appeasement. He uses McCain's ordeal as a tool to manipulate us into saying No! to Barack Obama and his naive, Chamberlainesque predilections. And obliquely, to vote for the war hero "with the odd little wave" who suffered for our sins. I find it outrageous that the author uses McCain - truly a war hero - to make a cheap political point on Memorial Day, and by cheap, sentimental writing techniques too.

The article talks about the 1975 congressional refusal to commit further funds to S. Vietnam and Cambodia, calling it an appeasement, I suppose of the American people. This occurred two years after the Paris Peace Accords, 12 years after we went into Vietnam. McCain was released in March 1973 as a direct result of the Paris Peace Accords, which called for the withdrawal of all US troops within 60 days of its January signing. If the American people hadn't demanded an end to the 12-year US involvement who knows how long John McCain would have stayed in North Vietnam?

The author wants to connect this funding cutback (by Democrats, voted in overwhelmingly in 1974) to the vividly-described torture of John McCain. But he can't directly, so he uses a kind of trompe-l'oeil to make you connect them in your mind. He moves on instead to the Pol Pot regime which swept in once the US was gone and the coast was clear. He reminds us that they were evil and that the cruelty to John McCain was evil. And that Democrats opened the gates to the Khmer Rouge. Thus, he connects the Democrats - voted in as a result of the people's mass revulsion at such Nixon administration maneuvers as secretly invading and carpet-bombing Cambodia - to evil.

The author reminds us that the next time we see McCain and his "odd little wave," to remember that evil exists in the world, and to not vote for those who would be fooled by it. Deflatingly, Obama has said time and again that he will never agree to anything detrimental to the United States or its interests. He only said that, in contrast to Bush's damaging policy, he will at least offer to listen. That's all.

Why does the author talk about McCain's suffering this particular Memorial Day, why not last? Because Obama and McCain weren't running for office last year.

"It is worthwhile to remember just why one American presidential candidate can't wave to the crowds in the same graceful, elegant style of his opponent." This is cheap, manipulative, insulting bilge - insulting to us. We do remember. We do know. Some of us know a lot better and a lot more personally that this author does. And I think it's pretty shabby to use McCain's very real suffering in this way, and on Memorial Day, to try to score a cheap political point.

Oddly, the article says "the type of men who did this to John McCain were fully capable of doing this to their own fellow citizens." McCain's captors were North Vietnamese, not Cambodian.

Last edited by delusianne; 05-27-2008 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: tweaking.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,444,495 times
so im supposed to vote for someone just because they served?

in that case, then al gore, john kerry, george mcgovern should have been elected

Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
The American Spectator

Very interesting article. Also addresses "Appeasement" - the word that sent Obama into an apoplectic fit.
When was Obama in an apoplectic fit? I'd like to see that.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,004,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Go ahead....you gonna need some sort of evidence though. Unlike you Clinton supporters who go from supporting Hillary, to bashing the democratic party, to kissing up to McCain; my stance has always been firm and steady.
What does that little thing under your display name say?

Oh thats right yet you can support someone who has talked the entire campaign out of all three sided of his mouth!

Where have you been critical of Obama? If you can show me ill gladly shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections