Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times

Advertisements

This thread has almost completely degenerated into analyzing the thoughts of NON-president elect Rev. Wright. Can we change the title from Is Obama black to Is Rev Wright a racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
It\'s all part of the American thinking.This goes back to the slave days. You were considered \"black\" even if you had \"one ounce of black blood\". So that holds truth to this day. Somehow, this theory is still viewed today. Whites have always thought that anyone white that had children with black men/women, didn\'t have \"bi-racial\" kids, they were BLACK kids. Today many politicans and artists who are bi-racial, consider themselves blacks. Whites will never call a bi-racial person white. But blacks are more accepting of their bi-racial relatives and friends and have no problem calling them black. It\'s the history. And unless Obama told you his mom was white, you would call him what? A BLACK MAN. So it is what it is.
This all true. I think my stepfather, who is white, doesn't really consider me biracial. I think this because I've heard him refer to black guys as "Leroy"...I couldn't figure out exactly what he's meant by this, hearing only bits and pieces, but I don't think it's good. My mom met him when I was 18, so I didn't grow up hearing this view...from him.

He also told his friends when they first met, that he wasn't sure he could date her since she had slept with a black man. This guy is vey nice to me and my kids, but he has some issues.

In addition, I know a couple of mixed women, girls really, who have discovered how white people can feel so negatively towards anyone who has any drop of black blood in them. They dated white boys and it didn't turn out well. It's not cute.

If I spoke with a "hip-hop" tone of voice in high school, my mom was quick to tell me, "you're a white girl...you were born and raised in Bellevue (WA)." I'd tell her that noone is going to look at me and think I'm white, so I'm not about to go around calling myself white.

If Obama were to do that, because of American history, people would think he's nuts! I've seen mixed people with light hair and skin who could pass for white and Obama is not one of them!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:32 AM

881 posts, read 1,589,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
Does this bother any other white people that he always says he's black? It's like he is always denying his white half. and it is half. He is not black he is biracial and should call himself that. Am I missing something?

If Obama says he is 1/2 white instead of "black" his former pastor will probably call him nasty names (his pastor seems to hate anyone who is not black). Obama is not "denying himself" as being 1/2 white and staying at a racist, anti-Semite, largely anti-white "church". He says he is black because that gives his "special powers" and many, many special rights in this country.

What amuses me about Jeremiah Wright, the racist, anti-American pastor/mentor/friend of Obama is that Wright kinda looks white. I wonder what's his background. Maybe he is 1/2 white too and his white parent abandoned him... maybe one of Wright's parents is Jewish, thus his longtime association with an anti-American Jew-hater, Louis Farrakhan.

Being black gives you special privileges in America and Obama knows that. You can get preferential treatment in college admissions, tuition breaks, job placement.... but most importantly, being black gives you immunity (you can make racist comments with no fear of reprisal and no one can say anything against you. You say ANYTHING that is not favorable about Obama, you are immediately labeled a "racist" and "bigot". Obama has ridden his way through life under "Affirmative Action" programs. So did his wife, the one who says it's the first time she is rpund of being an American. These people milk the system and then use the race card to get ahead.

That is why Obama must not be president. He should resign from the US Senate too. He is an opportunist and he is associated with SlumLords and racist anti-American pastors and cronies from all sides. He is very anti-American and we learn that with every passing day. Obama is a disgrace to this country. He should be ashamed of even existing.

Obama's racist traits come out everyday. He even spits in his grandma's face (who is white) calling her a "typical white person". Obama's 23 year close association with his racist pastor is another one. This guy must believe every word out of Wright's mouth. Otherwise, he would not have associated with Wright for 23 years on a personal basis and at the church. Either that or Obama is a gullible moron for not knowing how racist and anti-American his church and mentor/pastor/spirtual guide/friend is.

Funny, I try to see people as if they have no race.... hard for me to be called a "typical white person" by Obama, a man associated with bigots from all sides. I wonder if Obama will soon call someone a cracker on nation TV. And then reports will go wild and call him a "truthsayer". This whole Obama Orgasm is getting irritating.

I hope he gets the nomination so we can watch McCain take states from the Democrats like New Jersey, Washington state and others. It will be beautiful.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:08 AM

893 posts, read 791,533 times
My original post was concern how Obama sees his color.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:50 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
Quote:
The Bible also says don't judge or you will be judged too.
You need to read the entire scriptures where it says that. You can't stop just there. Because you can judge, and a Christian has been told that he/she had a right to judge even the world:

This is the verse so many use to try to shame Christians for discerning poor behavior, ethics, morals, and values: the "judge not lest ye be judged" verse. Your use of Matt 7:1is entirely incomplete. This verse is not speaking to not judging at all -- it is speaking to not judging unfair or any other cheap and selfish way. Read the rest of the story ...

Matt 7:2-5 "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged [if we judge with an evil heart or dark intent, His judgment of us will reflect it; if we judge nobly and honestly, His judgment of us will reflect that, too], and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you [if we use extremes or exaggerations or other unfair means, our judgment will reflect it]. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye [point out his sins, "minor" in Jesus' example here] and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye [our own sins, even and especially those we will not admit, magnified by our selective blindness]? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' [tell him of his "minor" sins] when all the time there is a plank in your own eye [that there are greater or the same sins in our own lives which we do nothing about or think we are above]? You hypocrite* [pointing out the sins of others while by pretense we think of ourselves as above sin], first take the plank out of your own eye [sincerely ask the Lord for forgiveness and learn and live the Truth and Light by His Word], and then you will see clearly [be in a righteous position] to remove the speck from your brother's eye [to judge and to help him out of his bondage to sin]."

And, as a FEW examples of His desire for Christians to judge:

1Cor. 6:2-3 Do you not know that the saints [the saved; Christians] will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!

Prov. 3:21 My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight;

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

The slaves in the bible were not indentured slaves. They were bought just the same as how we bought the Africans, and the slaves in the bible could be beaten but not killed:

Quote:
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

There is nothing impermanet here as it would be for an indentured slave.

And here is what God has to say about beating a slave:

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)"

So yes, the Bible is for slavery, which makes me wonder why slaves ever accepted it in the first place?

So now you may call Rev. Wright a lunatic for judging, but he has every right since he is a Christian and he has pointed out the wrongs of America and hasn't done those same wrongs. If you listen to his entire sermon you would see what other things he has pointed out that America has done to people, beginning with killing the Indians, and this isn't just in a battle like you have seen in Western movies. The U.S. gathered the Indians up without any nothing but the clothes on their back and marched them in the dead of winter across America where they ended up in Oklahoma and created the town of Tahlequah, where I live. And many of them died on this journey from cold, weariness, disease, etc. (Hitler in turn, read about how we treated the Indians, and then also read Martin Luther's works {The Martin Luther that created the Luthern religion} about the hatred for the Jews and how they should be gotten rid of and so came up with his idea of getting rid of the Jews in the very same way that the U.S. did the Indians.) And then next came slavery, and if you think that slaves were treated with kindness and liked their lot in life as many white men think, you are wrong. And killings by the U.S. government went on and goes on today in Iraq where we have no right to be because the Iraqis had no weapons of mass destruction. So now we are killing them and killing our own sons and daughters.

I never said that I ever believed that Wright was a racist, by the way. I think he was just pointing out the sins of those that harmed his people and continue to do so to this day.

Many on this forum really need to read black history as well as Amercian Indian, and they need to read the Bible to know what it really says, and then you would understand Rev. Wright, even Rev. Hagee who preaches against gays and why he says that God brought the hurricanes to kill them and all who support them. It is all in this wonderful Bible that people love so much. I don't condemn them to some everlasting punishment because of their beliefs, but I would never accept their beliefs, because their beliefs are inhumane, just as sending someone to hell because he didn't believe in Jesus or God is inhumane. My God would have to be so much more loving than that.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 04-02-2008 at 06:03 AM..

Old 04-02-2008, 06:14 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
WannabeaTexan,

I am sorry to hear what you have had to deal with in your life. It sounds like you are learning to rise above it.

I think we have covered as to whether Obama is black or not. I may say he is bi-racial, but I don't believe whites feel this way as you have learned. Many white people will still consider Rev. Wright a racist, but I don't believe he is. And what if he were? It still points the finger at the people who caused him to be so. How many people do you believe there are that can forgive those pushing them down on a continual basis? Do you think McCain has forgiven those that beat him in prison? I doubt it very much, and I would not doubt for one moment that he doesn't have a lot of anger and doesn't plan on using it if elected for he has said that he is not totally against torture. At least Rev. Wright is not preaching revenge, and yet there are Nazis and KKK all over the U.S. that would love to start the killing all over again. And Obama didn't have the same situation in life as Rev. Wright, but he understands him because he is well informed. And he should never deny him as his friend.

I took a black history class in college, and it opened my eyes, so when a woman in an America history class popped up and said, "But the blacks really liked being slaves. They were so happy..." I had to choke. The typical white person of years ago saw blacks as happy, tap dancing entertainers on the streets of America. And "typically" they feared them because the blacks did have uprisings now and then, and it wasn't because they were ungrateful; it was because they were beaten, it was because their children were ripped away from them, and because they were treated worse than animals. But most of all it was because they desired what is the right of every human being: FREEDOM. So yes, if Rev. Wright is a racist, he deserves to be, but I think that he has risen above most of that, and he lifts his people up by providing them with schooling, drug programs, etc.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
You need to read the entire scriptures where it says that. You can't stop just there. Because you can judge, and a Christian has been told that he/she had a right to judge even the world:

This is the verse so many use to try to shame Christians for discerning poor behavior, ethics, morals, and values: the "judge not lest ye be judged" verse. Your use of Matt 7:1is entirely incomplete. This verse is not speaking to not judging at all -- it is speaking to not judging unfair or any other cheap and selfish way. Read the rest of the story ...

Matt 7:2-5 "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged [if we judge with an evil heart or dark intent, His judgment of us will reflect it; if we judge nobly and honestly, His judgment of us will reflect that, too], and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you [if we use extremes or exaggerations or other unfair means, our judgment will reflect it]. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye [point out his sins, "minor" in Jesus' example here] and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye [our own sins, even and especially those we will not admit, magnified by our selective blindness]? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' [tell him of his "minor" sins] when all the time there is a plank in your own eye [that there are greater or the same sins in our own lives which we do nothing about or think we are above]? You hypocrite* [pointing out the sins of others while by pretense we think of ourselves as above sin], first take the plank out of your own eye [sincerely ask the Lord for forgiveness and learn and live the Truth and Light by His Word], and then you will see clearly [be in a righteous position] to remove the speck from your brother's eye [to judge and to help him out of his bondage to sin]."

And, as a FEW examples of His desire for Christians to judge:

1Cor. 6:2-3 Do you not know that the saints [the saved; Christians] will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!

Prov. 3:21 My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight;

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

The slaves in the bible were not indentured slaves. They were bought just the same as how we bought the Africans, and the slaves in the bible could be beaten but not killed:

There is nothing impermanet here as it would be for an indentured slave.

And here is what God has to say about beating a slave:

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)"

So yes, the Bible is for slavery, which makes me wonder why slaves ever accepted it in the first place?

So now you may call Rev. Wright a lunatic for judging, but he has every right since he is a Christian and he has pointed out the wrongs of America and hasn't done those same wrongs. If you listen to his entire sermon you would see what other things he has pointed out that America has done to people, beginning with killing the Indians, and this isn't just in a battle like you have seen in Western movies. The U.S. gathered the Indians up without any nothing but the clothes on their back and marched them in the dead of winter across America where they ended up in Oklahoma and created the town of Tahlequah, where I live. And many of them died on this journey from cold, weariness, disease, etc. (Hitler in turn, read about how we treated the Indians, and then also read Martin Luther's works {The Martin Luther that created the Luthern religion} about the hatred for the Jews and how they should be gotten rid of and so came up with his idea of getting rid of the Jews in the very same way that the U.S. did the Indians.) And then next came slavery, and if you think that slaves were treated with kindness and liked their lot in life as many white men think, you are wrong. And killings by the U.S. government went on and goes on today in Iraq where we have no right to be because the Iraqis had no weapons of mass destruction. So now we are killing them and killing our own sons and daughters.

I never said that I ever believed that Wright was a racist, by the way. I think he was just pointing out the sins of those that harmed his people and continue to do so to this day.

Many on this forum really need to read black history as well as Amercian Indian, and they need to read the Bible to know what it really says, and then you would understand Rev. Wright, even Rev. Hagee who preaches against gays and why he says that God brought the hurricanes to kill them and all who support them. It is all in this wonderful Bible that people love so much. I don't condemn them to some everlasting punishment because of their beliefs, but I would never accept their beliefs, because their beliefs are inhumane, just as sending someone to hell because he didn't believe in Jesus or God is inhumane. My God would have to be so much more loving than that.
Shouldn't this be on the Religion thread?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm not at all convinced that Rev. Wright has an angry heart or twisted head. I'm sure Hillary does with her hateful lies against the Bosnia people who went out of their way to provide her a nice friendly welcome and then she slandered them by accusing them of shooting at her.

It's funny with you Clinton supporters. You defend your candidate for outright lying, but an old-time preacher you rip apart his every word.
What is funny is that you are constantly harping on one thing or another (either Bill's messing around or Hillary's Bosnia whatever) in the hopes that you can manipulate some of us to see it your way which isn't going to happen so why do you bother because you really do sound like a broken record... Bosnia, Bosnia, Bill, sex, Bill, Bosnia, sex, etc. it is getting really old.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
For the leader. Of David, the servant of the LORD, who sang to the LORD the words of this song after the LORD had rescued him from the clutches of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul.

Praised be the LORD, I exclaim! I have been delivered from my enemies.

You girded me with strength for war, subdued adversaries at my feet.

My foes you put to flight before me; those who hated me I destroyed.

They cried for help, but no one saved them; cried to the LORD but got no answer.

I ground them fine as dust in the wind; like mud in the streets I trampled them down.

You rescued me from the strife of peoples; you made me head over nations. A people I had not known became my slaves;

O God who granted me vindication, made peoples subject to me, and preserved me from my enemies, Truly you have exalted me above my adversaries, from the violent you have rescued me.

--- All from the Bible.

I doubt Rev. Wright ever condemned all whites but the whites who have been enemies of his people. It's really old-time kind of preaching, nothing you really need to lose sleep over.
Please take it to the Religion thread.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
I think Obama does a good job of embracing all of his heritage. I credit him with enough wisdom not to go around saying "hey i'm white." Clearly it would present a contradiction. He is not white eventhough his mother was. When u look at Obama u don't see a white man you see a black one and that is the reality of race in America -even if he wants to say "i'm white" he cannot "pass" eventhough in reality he is as much white as he is black. The world will always see the color of his skin before his heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections