Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:29 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,573,038 times

Advertisements

He has the money, and what I remember is he won two statewide elections.

What percentage of people living in FL were born there. In point if fact, he'll likely do better with the natives than the transplants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You also seem to forget that Rick Scott despite pouring millions of dollars from his own pockets has won by only 1% of the vote in all of his elections.

Nelson is a Floridian and Scott is a carpetbagger thief from Illinois.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:54 PM

24,419 posts, read 27,112,777 times
The senate races moved to the right after Kavanaugh, but the house races moved to the left (speaking overall). In Florida, I think it helps Scott for sure, but red tide now that it's hitting the Atlantic side is really energizing Florida voters toward Nelson... so I don't know... I feel like it's a wash because of these two things.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,379,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
No politician of any party has caused or is responsible for anything to do with red tide. And there is no politician that can do anything about it. Even when the Seminole Indians where the only humans living in what is now known as Florida, they didn't cause red tide. It's been a natural occurrence for hundreds of years.
About as true as global warming having nothing to do with humans

Old 10-09-2018, 05:58 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,320,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree that the Kavanaugh stuff won't impact the vote much. Most people are not tuned in to politics day-to-day as many posters on this forum are. We are not the norm. If they are aware, they shrug it off as politics as usual (even though its not).

I think the things Nelson has working against him is he's old (he looks even older than he is), he's a lifelong politician, and has never accomplished much in 35+ years of politicking.

Scott's a wealthy, White, successful, Republican, businessman turned politician, and the Dems despise people like that.

Many Puerto Ricans fled their homeland, and now reside in Florida. They are heavily Democratic. In a close race, they could make the difference. This should be a very close race. Venezuelans also fled, and I'm hoping they will offset the PR vote. They got to see firsthand the end game of liberalism. They are likely now aligned with Cubans, staunch Conservatives.
If they don't like him, I can assure you it is not because he is a white businessman who became successful by abusing our health care system and ripping off Medicare.

It is because he is a corrupt crook who cares more about his own career and enriching himself then he does about Florida. That sort of goes against him.

In addition, after Parkland, Scott was nowhere to be seen, while Nelson was right there immediately. Scott also was too much of a coward to show up for the townhall. In addition, Scott has contributed to the environmental mess we have in Florida while accumulating millions of dollars (that is all put in his wife's name).

Scott made a unilateral decision to turn down high speed rail just to spite Obama. Now they're building it in pieces 10 years later. The idea that reformed felons can not vote again in Florida without going through a zillion hoops that Scott has put up (after Bush and Crist eased the ridiculously strict rules). What other reason does he have other than to suppress the vote? If a felon has paid his/her debt and is a productive member of society, they should be allowed to vote without going through years of hearings.

I don't see that Scott has done anything good for the state--he benefited from an overall recovery in Florida, that was more national than local. He's decimated the Florida State Department. It used to be a breeze to deal with the Corporate Division of the Sec of State. and everyone there was very knowledgeable After Scott was done, there are long phone waits and not so educated people manning the division.

He promised to address the Florida insurance extortion industry--especially the very auto insurance rates in Florida. He did nothing. He appears to be in the pocket of the insurance industry as he won't touch them.

Nelson never oversaw the largest Medicare fraud in this state. Rick Scott did and walked away with a lot of money while others were punished. The buck does not stop with him. He's joined at the hip with Trump--and he has all of Trump's bad habits. Scott is a politician plain and simple. The fact that he picked that corrupt Bondi woman did not help. He's a Trump stooge (embarrassingly so) and we do need another one of those in the Senate. We need someone who will look out for Florida residents, not Trump's ego.

It is time to go back and review Scott's history for those who have forgotten his scumbag past.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:40 AM

^^

Yup. Scott is just going to be a trump and nra yes man

Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 AM

15,883 posts, read 14,573,038 times
^
Yes, but they don't call Florida the Gunshine state for nothing. Don't you have more conceal handgun licencees than any other state?

Old 10-09-2018, 10:39 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,320,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
Yes, but they don't call Florida the Gunshine state for nothing. Don't you have more conceal handgun licencees than any other state?
You may be right. But it would be because Florida is more incompetent rather than there are more gun lovers here.

And hey--Rick Scott brought the manufacturers to Florida because we are in desperate need of more Kalashnikovs.

"...Florida revoked almost 300 concealed weapons permits after discovering that a state employee failed to review criminal background checks on applicants because she couldn't log into the system, according to a report by state officials. As a result of the problem, which lasted for more than a year, 291 people got concealed carry permits who should not have received them, said Florida Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam..."

"...Gov. Rick Scott’s administration offered $162,000 in state tax breaks to bring to South Florida the manufacturer of the Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle, even though the U.S. had imposed sanctions against Russian-made military assault weapons...."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/10/us/fl...cks/index.html

Despite U.S. sanctions on Russia, Gov. Scott offered tax breaks to manufacturer of AK-47 assault rifles

Old 10-09-2018, 12:13 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,517,073 times
Default Tampa Bay Times endorses Nelson

The Tampa Bay Times endorses Bill Nelson, citing his support for Medicaid expansion and the accompanying billions in federal healthcare funds for Florida's less wealthy, funds that Rick Scott repeatedly has blocked Florida from accepting. The Bay Times also attacks Scott's record on public education and the environment.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/edi...nate-20181004/

Any other endorsements yet in the Senate race?

Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
Ccw didn't help those at parkland, or Vegas

Old 10-09-2018, 02:18 PM

26,099 posts, read 13,088,709 times
Rick Scott won the Republican primary in 2010. Scott then went on to win the Govenorship later that year running as a Tea Party Republican. In 2014, he ran for another term. In his 2nd primary, he crushed his opponents. He won re-election in 2014.

He has a strong record of winning primary's and elections over an 8 year time frame. Most people like what he stands for, and have voted for him repeatedly.

Those of you who dislike Governor Scott, and his Tea Party policies, have been in the minority for 8 years now, so I can see how frustrating that must be for you. Trumps popularity is at 51% nationally, and has been climbing of late, so Scott's alignment with Trump appears to be wise at this point in time, but of couse, that can change with a single Tweet.

While HCA did have to repay the Goverment $600M for their wrongdoings, none of that was directly tied to Rick Scott, or he'd be in jail. He resigned nontheless accepting indirect responsibility, then went on to win 2 Primary's and 2 Elections, so I dont think the majority of Floridians agree with any of you that he is corrupt. His election results support my claim.

The demographics of Florida are shifting in the Democrat's favor, and eventually, Dems will outnumber Republicans and Independents in Florida due to population inflows. This election will test if that time has finally come, or not.

The Democrat party has been losing a lot of elections for a number of years now at every level of Government, and with the Gorsuch and Kavanaugh appointments I realize how frustrating that must be for Dems.

Conservatives just experienced the same level of frustration in the years just prior to the Tea Party movement changing the dynamic. Then, after the Conservatives started winning elections again, we had to fight the Republicans to honor the Conservative agenda. The Kavanaugh confirmation process helped heal that divide to a great extent.

Politics ebb and flow left and right. Lets remember we are all Americans, and that comes first. When Obama won, as a Conservative, I supported him as our President. When I disagreed with his policies, I refrained from disparaging our President, and went by the old phrase if you don't have something nice to say, stay quiet. I stayed quiet out of patriotism.

We have a free Country, and we have free speech, so people do not have to refrain as I chose to. If Nelson wins, I'll support him, and continue to practice my patriotism by not disparaging him. If I disagree with his policies, I'll write my Congressman, and respectfully speak out against his policies and offer alternative solutions if I feel it might have a positive impact.

I'd love to see record turnouts for this election cycle. The number of Americans who do not vote upsets me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections