Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 1,406 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to get a few responses from Libertarians or conservatives on Rev Wrights Foreign Policy comments in relation to Israel? Rev Wright in my opinion made the right call on our foreign policy, and if you're a libertarian or conservative it seems that you would agree with him. Rev Wright stated we should not be supporting foreign aid to other nations? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
It's a good debate.

On the one hand, no body would disagree with us providing assistance in the form of US made goods that are paid for by either our government or otherwise as it helps those in need and our economy. That comprises most of our foreign aid. That can be food, raw material, technical support, weapons...

On the other hand, we do give money to various countries and I might have to question that and assume there is congressional oversight.

Now, if the idea is pure isolationism from helping other countries, then I do not agree with that policy. Our foreign aid should be directed at helping those in need and assisting to make our allies safer.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:03 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean25 View Post
I'm curious to get a few responses from Libertarians or conservatives on Rev Wrights Foreign Policy comments in relation to Israel? Rev Wright in my opinion made the right call on our foreign policy, and if you're a libertarian or conservative it seems that you would agree with him. Rev Wright stated we should not be supporting foreign aid to other nations? Thoughts?
I haven't paid any attention to the media spectacle. What exactly was said regarding foreign policy? By exactly, I mean quotes not paraphrases, those can be misleading.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:06 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
I forget who but someone once said something to the effect of, "Foreign aid can be summed up as poor people in rich countries giving money to rich people in poor countries". While I don't entirely agree with this, it does have apt applications at times.

Problem is that what foreign aid was intended to be and what it has become today are a bit different in scope. Foreign aid for things such as natural disasters, famine, war, etc... are all fairly legitimate reasons. In the case of Israel, Egypt, and Columbia (to name a few of the top largest recipients) it has become a decades long welfare or subsidy program that has been abused to the point of absurdity. The perpetuation of such a program promotes dependency and this is neither good for the United States nor places like Israel or Egypt as their own populations or that of their adversaries see this as favor in turn diminishing our ability to exert influence through diplomacy.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean25 View Post
I know what Rev. Wright said about 9/11, and yes that is essentially true. 9/11 was blowback as a direct result of foreign policy. That's not an excuse for terrorism, but it is the main reason, and it has been acknowledged by the CIA. It is not just because we are "free". I do not support foreign aid to any country, especially if it causes further blowback. I'm not sure what Rev. Wright said about foreign aid specifically, but I probably agree with his stance on it to a certain extent.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:43 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Our foreign policy is the main cause of 9/11.

We need to focus on our country and stop wasting money on other nations.

Does that answer the question?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:17 PM

374 posts, read 231,485 times
Foreign aid is given to countries that have US interests at hand. We can't afford for Israel - our strongest in the middle east - weaken and collaspe under pressure from neighboring countries. Paksitan is our "friend" in this war on "terror". We give them money to find and destroy these people. Now, do these countries use the aid wisely - no. Aid is to basically keep governments from total collaspe a lot of the time. America can't afford unstable regions around the world and chaos.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:26 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Foreign aid is given to countries that have US interests at hand. We can't afford for Israel - our strongest in the middle east - weaken and collaspe under pressure from neighboring countries. Paksitan is our "friend" in this war on "terror". We give them money to find and destroy these people. Now, do these countries use the aid wisely - no. Aid is to basically keep governments from total collaspe a lot of the time. America can't afford unstable regions around the world and chaos.
So you are suggesting that without the money we give Israel, they would no longer be able to protect themselves, even with the nuclear weapons that they are allowed to have... against the forces of terror like Iran who don't have nuclear weapons?

Did you know that we give more money to Israel's enemies than we give to Israel?

Did you know that by propping up leaders which aren't supported by their people we create an environment of hostility towards the US which further feeds the extremists in their recruitment of terrorists? This is exactly what happened in Iraq and Iran... and why we are here today with a war on terror that our foreign policy incited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections