Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:26 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,822,405 times

Advertisements

Are there any people here who vote Democrat some times, Republican at other times, and maybe third party or independent, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 01:06 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,990,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are there any people here who vote Democrat some times, Republican at other times, and maybe third party or independent, too?

Normally I vote Republican because I don't want Democrats in control of the U.S. House or Senate, and certainly not in the White House, but for state offices I generally just vote for the best candidate. Sent in my absentee ballot a couple of weeks ago and voted for one or two Democrats. I did refuse to vote for the four choices for Ohio Governor so wrote in a name that wont be counted because write-in candidates have to qualify to have their votes counted. Was sending a message to the parties their candidates suck, and I don't appreciate that the law was changed a few years ago to make it tougher to get on the ballot.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:17 PM

24,516 posts, read 17,265,170 times
I have been a registered independent ever since I signed up.

I have always believed that the best person for the job should get the job whether they are Dem or Rep or other and I have voted for all three over the decades.

This coming midterm I plan to vote for anyone with a "R" beside their name. I am so tired of the games that the Dems have been playing and worn out from the negativity they have been dumping on the country for the last 2 years.

Casting a vote for a Dem is like rewarding a bratty kid that is throwing a tantrum with a cookie.

They should not be rewarded for their poor behavior.

I hope that enough Reps get off their butts to vote and keep the Dems from gaining the House. The last thing we need is for them to raise the stakes and double down on the "IMPEACH 45" garbage until 2020 and beyond.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,838,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I do, often. I go by policies, not party, I could not care less what party someone belongs to.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:47 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,676,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I have always believed that the best person for the job should get the job whether they are Dem or Rep or other and I have voted for all three over the decades.

This coming midterm I plan to vote for anyone with a "R" beside their name. I am so tired of the games that the Dems have been playing and worn out from the negativity they have been dumping on the country for the last 2 years.

Casting a vote for a Dem is like rewarding a bratty kid that is throwing a tantrum with a cookie.

I hope that enough Reps get off their butts to vote and keep the Dems from gaining the House. The last thing we need is for them to raise the stakes and double down on the "IMPEACH 45" garbage until 2020 and beyond.
And I am just the opposite. Have voted for Democrats and Republicans in the past. Voted straight Democrat last week. Very much want a check on Trump in Washington and I believe that Tennessee should accept the $ to expand Medicaid.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:52 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times
in 2016 voted for Trump (R) and for Tulsi Gabbard (D) for the Hawaii house seat. I'll be voting straight R this time

Old 10-28-2018, 08:08 PM

39,091 posts, read 51,283,353 times
I used to vote mostly R, but over the years as they have focused more on social issues than on fiscal ones, I have tended toward D. This year, I will vote D on everything (or not at all on many) because of the embrace of Trump by GOP candidates in my state. I had planned on voting for the R candidate for governor until he showed up on the stage at the Trump rally, for example. I can't abide that.

Honestly though, it is getting hard to vote at all. In my state, the political parties have gone to the extremes leaving middle of the road voters really with no one they can support.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:27 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,676,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I used to vote mostly R, but over the years as they have focused more on social issues than on fiscal ones, I have tended toward D. This year, I will vote D on everything (or not at all on many) because of the embrace of Trump by GOP candidates in my state. I had planned on voting for the R candidate for governor until he showed up on the stage at the Trump rally, for example. I can't abide that.

Honestly though, it is getting hard to vote at all. In my state, the political parties have gone to the extremes leaving middle of the road voters really with no one they can support.

Ain't that the truth! I feel kind of lucky that even though I voted for the Democratic candidate for governor here in Tennessee, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if the Republican won (which is probably going to happen). But I have very different feelings about the Senate race here.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:28 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,551,652 times
I usually vote for the person that I think is the best for the job. The 2016 and the midterms I will be voting only Democrats.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:57 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,012,181 times
Clearly a Republican...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections