Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:48 AM

82 posts, read 65,349 times

Advertisements

Florida ended up being one of the best results today for republicans but it may have been the last time they see red and this time it may not come back after ammendment 4th pass https://ballotpedia.org/Florida_Amen...itiative_(2018) this is really bad for the GOP even if Trumps approval is a net positive there i don´t see how he wins Florida in 2020 now with a big bunch of these votes almost certainly going DEM..

Then there is Texas.. There are some factors that make me think that it will turn blue by 2024 and this will probably change US politics forever because with current trends it will not come back... California "refugees" keep running away from California to go to places like Austin in Texas and then vote for the same policies that made them leave Cali.. Demographics of course have a huge impact, and Trump/Republicans will have to turn the hispanic vote for their side somehow (which would be kinda logical since culturally hispanics lean conservative) but it´s gonna be difficult because unlike the "white vote" in which we see people voting according to their ideals, minorities keep voting with a "tribal" mindset even when the economy is booming so it´s difficult to know what to do from a republican perspective but something most be done to reverse trends.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:50 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,386,875 times
If true, we are doomed, as both have been a firewall protecting us from extreme liberalism from the Democrats.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:53 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Democrat Logic
  • 2009 & 2014 Obama wins - Florida is firmly Blue
  • 2016 Trump flips Florida - Florida is Blue
  • 2018 Democrats lose Governor & Senate in 2018 after spending fortune - Florida is "permanently" Blue.
Hahahaha. Has to be seen to be Believed.

Trump's YUGE rallies in Florida compared to the tiny violent rallies of Obama, speak for themselves.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:54 AM

248 posts, read 259,540 times
Not sure about Texas, but I'm optimistic about Florida. Now there's 1.5mm more eligible voters and both statewide races were within ~50,000 votes, so hopefully it'll flip blue next time around.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:54 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,742,135 times
Florida was evenly divided ever since 2000. It's the third most populous state, yet it is an even split. There's plenty of back and forth there and I don't think it reliably moves into either camp anytime soon. One big factor that keeps it in play is the Cubans. They strongly support the GOP. So you have a strong Hispanic base sure, but they're not moving the needle in the direction that the Dems might wish.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:55 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,184,914 times
Not so...Florida will continue to be a swing state.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:56 AM

17,013 posts, read 12,605,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofan View Post
Florida ended up being one of the best results today for republicans but it may have been the last time they see red and this time it may not come back after ammendment 4th pass https://ballotpedia.org/Florida_Amen...itiative_(2018) this is really bad for the GOP even if Trumps approval is a net positive there i don´t see how he wins Florida in 2020 now with a big bunch of these votes almost certainly going DEM..

Then there is Texas.. There are some factors that make me think that it will turn blue by 2024 and this will probably change US politics forever because with current trends it will not come back... California "refugees" keep running away from California to go to places like Austin in Texas and then vote for the same policies that made them leave Cali.. Demographics of course have a huge impact, and Trump/Republicans will have to turn the hispanic vote for their side somehow (which would be kinda logical since culturally hispanics lean conservative) but it´s gonna be difficult because unlike the "white vote" in which we see people voting according to their ideals, minorities keep voting with a "tribal" mindset even when the economy is booming so it´s difficult to know what to do from a republican perspective but something most be done to reverse trends.
TX Hispanics are not CA Hispanics.

Is TX trending Blue? Yes.
By 2024. I doubt it. It has to his purple first and even that I doubt by 2024.

You hear about states trending blue but.

MO is trending red. IA and WI are also.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:57 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,386,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
Not sure about Texas, but I'm optimistic about Florida. Now there's 1.5mm more eligible voters and both statewide races were within ~50,000 votes, so hopefully it'll flip blue next time around.
Democrats have just padded themselves with felons, most of thin are on welfare. The Democrat party of today relies on people failing.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,514,205 times
I’m not convinced that Texas will turn blue so soon. Although the Senate race was damn close, the fact that Beto blew through SEVENTY MILLION DOLLARS, all while playing up the “hometown low rent guy not using any PAC money” is something that Texans didnt forget.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,698,153 times
It may seem like that but I don't think anybody truly knows how many votes went blue simply because people dislike Trump. If you had a President in office that was more likable by both parties I could see making that point. But I think people really did vote more to vote against Trump than anything else.

I think also many Florida voters simply voted for Gilliam the same reason many voted for Obama. Granted the Republican candidate probably wasn't the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections