Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:16 AM

753 posts, read 843,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think Graham will be the Vice President in 2020 under President Booker, the Loud and Proud LGBT Split ticket will take America by storm!
Even as a gay man, this gave me a glorious morning chuckle. Thank you!

#MissGraham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:12 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
As a future resident of SC, I would vote for Haley over loyalist Individual 1 puppet Graham any day. People in the state seem to like Haley very much. When my daughter and I visited Clemson this summer, they praised Haley and mentioned her name in a positive light many times.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:59 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
Haley would expose several fault lines if she ran. The interesting thing is that she saved his rear in the 2014 race by appointing Tim Scott to Demint's seat when he resigned. Otherwise Graham would have been easy pickings for Scott.

Currently I think Lindsay has shorn up his support in the primary but will lose votes in the general- this will not matter since we are a solid R state.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:53 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Lindsey Graham will face opposition in the Republican Party. Not only is Nikki Haley someone to watch, I would look out for Trey Gowdy to return after a break from Congress.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:32 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,412,138 times
I never heard anybody describe Graham as a good ole boy.

I can't see Haley having a shot at being president as a Republican. She is weak on the immigration issue and seems like a Bush type Republican.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Nikki Haley is smart and cunning. She knows that upsetting an incumbent in a primary is hard. Beating democrats as a republican in a Governor's race is one thing but trying to upset a good ole white boy while being an Indian woman is a whole different game. She might win but will be so bruised up and burn bridges that she will not get the support needed for a presidential run.

Unless Graham vacates his seat she will lie low and see what else opens up. She might even accept a Trump VP slot if it was offered to her.

That is the way a Democrat might thing about it, but she's a Republican. Haley isn't going to run against Graham not because she doesn't think she can beat him, she probably can. She isn't going to damage the GOP over such a battle. Her time will come. She knows it. Always good to keep the party on your side by paying the dues needed.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:50 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
I'm hoping trump picks haley as his running mate for 2020.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:14 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That is the way a Democrat might thing about it, but she's a Republican. Haley isn't going to run against Graham not because she doesn't think she can beat him, she probably can. She isn't going to damage the GOP over such a battle. Her time will come. She knows it. Always good to keep the party on your side by paying the dues needed.
That is not Haleys history- she jumped to the front of the line to run for Governor, had a very contentious relationship with Republican lawmakers and had no problem pushing against the White House when at the UN. She knows how to play the game and has more than her fair share of luck but I will never accuse her of being a 'wait your turn and kiss all the proper butts' type politician. I think she would not run because being in the Senate will tie her up and will also mean she has 101 votes that can be held against her in a future election. At the current moment she has a governorship and a UN Ambassador post on her resume, if you want higher office the Senate is not necessary.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:56 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
That is not Haleys history- she jumped to the front of the line to run for Governor, had a very contentious relationship with Republican lawmakers and had no problem pushing against the White House when at the UN. She knows how to play the game and has more than her fair share of luck but I will never accuse her of being a 'wait your turn and kiss all the proper butts' type politician. I think she would not run because being in the Senate will tie her up and will also mean she has 101 votes that can be held against her in a future election. At the current moment she has a governorship and a UN Ambassador post on her resume, if you want higher office the Senate is not necessary.
But my point is if she would run & beat Graham, she has the bully pulpit for 4 years on Fox News as a sitting US Senator to make her case for president.

Waldo, do you think she would be better served as a part time contributor on Fox News as a guest or as a US Senator?

Old 03-06-2019, 07:40 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,969 times
We have open primaries in SC, meaning registered Democrats can vote in the Republican primary. I've long thought that this was the primary reason he kept getting elected, as most Republicans I know in SC didn't really like him much and he was a favorite of Democrats (as far as Republicans go). I think he's actually managed to flip that since the Kavanaugh hearings, and is probably in better shape now that he's ever been in the past with most of the voters in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections