Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 05:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,409,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I live in SC and either visit or drive through NC a couple of times a year- NC has better roads hands down. It is mainly due to Jim Martin foisting a gas tax on them- but if you compare the roads in both states it becomes obvious. SC tends to have too few roads- especially in the booming metro areas- and roads that are in generally poor condition. I actually voted for McMaster in the primary and general because he came out in favor of road spending in my area.
It isn't obvious. That's why a majority of SC voters reject higher taxes.

Why are you talking about SC roads on this topic. Most of the roads I travel in SC are not in poor condition. There are at least average condition. Currently the 385-85 interchange is being rebuilt which is the second highest cost road project in SC history. The new bridge over the CHarleston harbor was the most expensive one, and that was completed in 2005.

I don't know where new roads would be built in the large SC metros.

The reality is there is heavy traffic in all the populated metros. It has nothing to do with the roads. It is about the number of drivers on the road.

It is funny how fans of NC complain about the traffic in SC. The larger NC cities have worse traffic issues. I worked in Uptown Charlotte for a few months and traffic was nightmare on the interstate.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-08-2019 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 06:25 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Incorrect. You are giving opinion as fact.

And your facts would be coming from where?

Old 03-08-2019, 08:12 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And your facts would be coming from where?

Dear why don't you tell us what you think about Nikki Haley vs Graham and we'll discuss it.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:59 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Here is what the Democrat's state party chair said at the time about Nikki.

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/...i-haley-090918

He implored Democratic voters to send Nikki back to wherever she came from. Then he tried to act like it wasn't racist.
That comment has nothing to do with race. Haley was born in the US- I know she grew up in SC and attended the same University I did. It was more in line with Dean saying to send Bush back to Crawford, Texas and all the Rs wanting to send Clinton back to Arkansas.

Harpootlian is now in the state house.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:03 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
Quote:
The old guard, what we would call Never Trumpers today, went after her with both barrels during the 2010 GOP primary for governor. And through that slanderous mess, she prevailed.
I missed this comment until GV reposted it. You should take a closer look t Haley- she was a Never Trumper herself and a major Bush supporter prior to the election the election. She wasn't given the ambassadorship for loyalty to Trump- she was given the ambassadorship to get her out of Henry McMaster's way. He is the one that was an early Trump supporter.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I missed this comment until GV reposted it. You should take a closer look t Haley- she was a Never Trumper herself and a major Bush supporter prior to the election the election. She wasn't given the ambassadorship for loyalty to Trump- she was given the ambassadorship to get her out of Henry McMaster's way. He is the one that was an early Trump supporter.

Hmm. No she wasn't. And she didn't support JEB. She supported Little Marco.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:39 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Hmm. No she wasn't. And she didn't support JEB. She supported Little Marco.
Wrong Bush. She supported GW. Marco was a never-Trumper.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Wrong Bush. She supported GW. Marco was a never-Trumper.
It's amazing how you are so consistently wrong, time after time. GW wasn't running for election. Her endorsement of Rubio over JEB was one of the bombshells of the early GOP primary. It effectively ended JEB's chances at anything.
It’s a particular blow to the more establishment-minded candidates in the race, and Gov. Jeb Bush told reporters on Wednesday that he was “disappointed” he didn’t get her backing
South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley Endorses Rubio

Oh and Marco was never a Never Trumper.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:41 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,409,249 times
I don't think supporting another candidate in the GOP primary made Haley a Never Trumper. Her criticisms of Trump were about selling Rubio.

Pence also supported another candidate in the primary.

Nominating Haley would probably be a disaster for the GOP because she is probably like Jeb and Rubio on immigration policy. GOP won't remain a viable party if poor immigrants keep flooding in because most of them will vote Democrat. Democrats want to use immigration to change the electorate like they did in California.

If they are able to swing Texas via immigration, Democrats will never lose a presidential election again unless the upper midwest states and PA become solid red.

Look at how quickly immigration changed the electorate in California. Reagan was a governor there.

Haley running against Graham wouldn't make any sense given they are both Chamber of Commerce type of Republicans and both are hawkish on foreign policy.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-10-2019 at 08:53 AM..

Old 03-10-2019, 12:11 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times
At one time I didn't like both:Graham because he always agreed with my worst Republican in history John McCain and Haley because she is a terrible neocon, never Trumper (my guess is she wrote the anonymous anti-Trump letter to the NY Times). But Graham won me over recently with his quick witted and strong defense of President Trump. If these two battled each other in a primary I would root for Graham 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections