Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 07:40 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,673,400 times

Advertisements

Nikki Haley has to shore up her finances.

She has earned between 150-200K for the past 5 years, including the years in NYC. She has 2 kids in college. According to her financial disclosure statements she has $1M in debts, including loan of credit and credit cards.

So she is taking a 7 figure jobs. She has sold her house in Columbia, SC and will in NY or DC area. And she collecting the favors owed to her. She brought Boeing to SC and fiecely fought unionization of its workers here. For this she is now being nominated by Boeing towards its board of governors. Average pay foir it is 211K per year as per Glassdoor. But I suspect she will get much more considering how vital she was to save Boeing when they had workers strike issues in Washington state and they wanted another plant outside Washington to build their Dreamliner when in competition to Airbus.

Quid Pro quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 07:48 AM

1,417 posts, read 737,997 times
I hope not. Now that McCain is dead, Lindsey seems to have finally found a pair and is becoming somewhat useful. Haley is too liberal for my tastes. Let her run as a moderate for President in 2024 at least we will get decent national defense despite her liberal leanings.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:13 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,233,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
So she is taking a 7 figure jobs. She has sold her house in Columbia, SC and will in NY or DC area. And she collecting the favors owed to her. She brought Boeing to SC and fiecely fought unionization of its workers here. For this she is now being nominated by Boeing towards its board of governors. Average pay foir it is 211K per year as per Glassdoor. But I suspect she will get much more considering how vital she was to save Boeing when they had workers strike issues in Washington state and they wanted another plant outside Washington to build their Dreamliner when in competition to Airbus.

Boeing selected SC during Sanford's tenure. The facility opened while Haley was Governor but she is not who landed them. To be honest I think the seat on that board is likely related to her being one of the few appointees to leave Trumps administration on good terms. Everytime trade goes sideways they are at risk of losing foreign orders.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:24 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,710,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
That is not Haleys history- she jumped to the front of the line to run for Governor, had a very contentious relationship with Republican lawmakers and had no problem pushing against the White House when at the UN. She knows how to play the game and has more than her fair share of luck but I will never accuse her of being a 'wait your turn and kiss all the proper butts' type politician. I think she would not run because being in the Senate will tie her up and will also mean she has 101 votes that can be held against her in a future election. At the current moment she has a governorship and a UN Ambassador post on her resume, if you want higher office the Senate is not necessary.
I'm familiar with what she and had to endure in the absolute attempt a lynching this woman in the GOP primary for the Governor's office. And her composure during that time speaks exactly to what I said about it. She's going to put party before running for that office. She put party first when she agreed to become part of the Trump administration instead of holding a grudge. This is what politicians are supposed to do.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:31 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,710,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
... She brought Boeing to SC and fiecely fought unionization of its workers here. For this she is now being nominated by Boeing towards its board of governors. Average pay foir it is 211K per year as per Glassdoor. But I suspect she will get much more considering how vital she was to save Boeing when they had workers strike issues in Washington state and they wanted another plant outside Washington to build their Dreamliner when in competition to Airbus.

Quid Pro quo.
One problem with this. Boeing made the decision long before Haley was governor.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 03-06-2019 at 09:40 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 09:38 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,330,894 times
IMO Nikki Haley is positioning herself for the future and does not need a Senate seat. Sen Graham is toeing the line, Sen Scott is strong and no need to upset the apple cart. Being a former governor is (to me) the best proving ground for the Presidency and she took care of business as a Governor.

She will do what is in her own best interest and if her intent is to run for President she will do whatever it takes to get ready for that. I would be happy if she became President. She is very capable and astute and has the time to "build her stable" of like minded supporters to take up duties if she is elected.

All things in time.

Right now she has children to get out the door and needs to assure her financial future.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:34 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,233,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm familiar with what she and had to endure in the absolute attempt a lynching this woman in the GOP primary for the Governor's office. And her composure during that time speaks exactly to what I said about it. She's going to put party before running for that office. She put party first when she agreed to become part of the Trump administration instead of holding a grudge. This is what politicians are supposed to do.
No one attempted to lynch her. 90% of what has been said about her is true- it just hasn't amounted to things that upset her supporters. Taking the UN spot was not putting the party first- it was a major upgrade for someone who had two years left in a term as a small state governor and was locked in constant battles with members of her own party. It was a step up for her and it cleared the way for McMaster to be governor. McMaster was an early Trump supporter and this was the payoff since it let him run as a quasi-incumbent last year.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Boeing selected SC during Sanford's tenure. The facility opened while Haley was Governor but she is not who landed them. To be honest I think the seat on that board is likely related to her being one of the few appointees to leave Trumps administration on good terms. Everytime trade goes sideways they are at risk of losing foreign orders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
One problem with this. Boeing made the decision long before Haley was governor.

Sanford might have brought them here but Nikki Haley was instrumental in busting unionization at that plant. Here is the Bloomberg story

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ive-board-post

Good for her to make hay while the sun shines. She has more ambition that being contented as a senator and is eyeing a 2020VP or 2024 Presidential run.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
No one attempted to lynch her. 90% of what has been said about her is true- it just hasn't amounted to things that upset her supporters. Taking the UN spot was not putting the party first- it was a major upgrade for someone who had two years left in a term as a small state governor and was locked in constant battles with members of her own party. It was a step up for her and it cleared the way for McMaster to be governor. McMaster was an early Trump supporter and this was the payoff since it let him run as a quasi-incumbent last year.

She needed foreign policy experience if she needed to have any national aspirations like VP or POTUS and running for senator at that time was not a reality. Therefore she took up the UN job and served for long enough time that she can use in a future presidential run. But I think she may need some further experience at the national level before mounting a presidential challenge.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:07 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,431,771 times
Quote:
SC is the 23rd most populated state. It is not a small state.

I don't recall Haley battling her own party on anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections