Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 03:00 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Amy Klobuchar - The reports that show how terrible she treats her employees shows she has an extremely fake/hot-tempered personality and there's no telling how she would act under pressure in an executive capacity.
Treatment of staff is certainly a valid issue. But, there have been stories about Bernie Sanders being a terrible boss. But, it doesn't seem to have become a part of his persona the way it arguably has Klobuchars.
https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...nt?oid=2834657

Is it possible gender is playing a role? Obviously, I can't "prove" that people are treating Klobachar and Bernie differently due to their genders. But, I suspect it is probably an element. We know that humans are not hyper-rational machines and have biases of various.

Now I don't know what to do about my vague subjective hunch. Complaining about sexism or a double standard would like hurt her campaign more than help it. You can't guilt trip somewhat into voting for a candidate.

Plus, thinking there is a bias against female leaders although supported in social science research can also be turned into its own dogmatic cudgel that can be mindlessly used to explain away any criticism or setback for female candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 03:03 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
But, there have been stories about Bernie Sanders being a terrible boss.
I haven't heard about Bernie throwing binders at people or forcing his staff to rinse off hair care products after using them to eat a salad.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:10 PM

Well obviously it is hard to compare working conditions based on anonymous news reports, it dose sound like people thought he was an abusive boss.

Quote:
"As a supervisor, he was unbelievably abusive," says one former campaign staffer, who claims to have endured frequent verbal assaults. The double standard was clear: "He did things that, if he found out that another supervisor was doing in a workplace, he would go after them. You can't treat employees that way."...

...."Bernie was an *******," says a Democratic insider who worked with Sanders on the campaign trail. "Just unnecessarily an *******."

Old 04-12-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Well obviously it is hard to compare working conditions based on anonymous news reports, it dose sound like people thought he was an abusive boss.

I read that article and it has a lot of issues in terms of credibility:

1. It quotes nothing but "unnamed sources," which can be entirely made up by the author for what we know.

2. The title is completely misleading about the actual content in the article (in other words, click bait). I don't see anything in the article that suggests he doesn't stand up for his employees.

3. To show how one-sided it is, the article fails to mention that he's the only congressman that pays his interns.

The only takeaway from the article for me is that he *may* be a micromanager. That's not the same thing as being abusive.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:59 PM

Yeah, but the Klobachar bad boss stories are also unsourced:

https://people.com/politics/amy-klob...avior-as-boss/

Quote:
None of the former staffers who criticized the senator did so by name, instead choosing to speak anonymously out of what they said was fear of retribution.
Klobuchar’s defenders have been happy to be identified in full.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but the Klobachar bad boss stories are also unsourced:

https://people.com/politics/amy-klob...avior-as-boss/
Here are the differences:

1. Klobachur has a documented track record of having the highest turnover rate of any representative in Congress (or at least the Senate).

2. The NY Times shared leaked emails directly from Klobachur of her being verbally abusive to her employees. Everything in that article you posted about Bernie was hearsay.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/22/u...har-staff.html

Last edited by citidata18; 04-12-2019 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 05:41 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You are welcome to speak for men but kindly refrain from telling women what they think and believe. The 2016 election was unique with Clinton as she is arguably the most disliked politician which certainly contributed to Trump’s win. People really cannot stand her and it has nothing to do with her gender. There is one candidate on the left that I would be okay with and it happens to be a woman.

Your cherry picked video doesn’t speak for most women and the small business owner interviewed does not reflect the beliefs of most American women voters. You are right to smack yourself for linking the nonsense video.

Or, maybe you need to pinch yourself to wake up. Maybe YOU have confidence that a woman could be our President, but statistics and history tell us you are pretty much alone in that regard. Your fellow women "say" they are progressive and forward thinking, but the past election told us a different story. Women were able to overlook absolute proof that Donald Trump is a low life woman hater and user, and they still thought he was a better choice than an intelligent, strong, successful, educated, experienced lady like Hillary Clinton.

You can paint it that she was the most disliked politician all you want, but the core reason for her losing was her sex and her perceived baggage...….but somehow, Donald Trump's baggage didn't matter, did it ?

Old 04-12-2019, 10:10 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Or, maybe you need to pinch yourself to wake up. Maybe YOU have confidence that a woman could be our President, but statistics and history tell us you are pretty much alone in that regard. Your fellow women "say" they are progressive and forward thinking, but the past election told us a different story. Women were able to overlook absolute proof that Donald Trump is a low life woman hater and user, and they still thought he was a better choice than an intelligent, strong, successful, educated, experienced lady like Hillary Clinton.

You can paint it that she was the most disliked politician all you want, but the core reason for her losing was her sex and her perceived baggage...….but somehow, Donald Trump's baggage didn't matter, did it ?
Stop speaking for men. We don't all think like you.

I voted for neither Hillary or Trump. Partially because I'm disgusted with the two major parties, but even if I had agreed with their policies I wouldn't have voted for either. Your description of Hillary completely glosses over her loathsome behavior due to your fanboy infatuation with her. She's every bit as much of a narcissist as Trump is, she just tries desperately - and unsuccessfully - to hide it. Trump, on the other hand, had quite openly showed his nature for years. I wouldn't trust her to water my plants, much less run the country. Had I been forced to vote for one of the other, I would have voted for Trump simply because I prefer to deal with someone who is openly a jackass than someone whose only reason to give you a hug is to find the best location in your back for a knife.

As for female Democrat candidates, it's way too early to tell if they will surge to the top or fall to the bottom. The DNC is a disorganized train wreck whose only consistent message seems to be "hate everyone we tell you to" and spends more time trying to find fault in people they don't agree with than figuring out how to fix the damage they've done to themselves with their divisive rhetoric. One thing I'll predict is that if they don't contain the crazies of the far left and start at least pretending that they care about all Americans rather than only the ones they can exploit for political power then whoever wins the nomination will lose the election. Either party is going to need the Independent vote to win, and most Independents are patriotic. If given the choice, most will choose the one who makes no secret about his asinine behavior and talks about patriotism over even a charismatic one who supports erasing 200 years of history and turning us into Western Europe.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:17 AM

21,465 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post

I’d vote for a woman if she were conservative. What I’m not going to vote for are people threatening to do away with the health insurance industry or promising reparations. I am not going to be punished for something I didn’t do, to pay people for something they never were. And they also want to do away with the oil and gas industry that puts food on my table, and everyone else’s if they’re being honest.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:50 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
I believe that voters, both male and female, are rather scared of the idea of having a female President, it would prove, once and for all, that women are stronger than men, which I believe wholeheartedly.

Obviously, the macho Latino's aren't afraid of having a female leader, as Brazil, Argentina and Chile have all had female Presidents, and they're probably wondering: How many more decades before the U.S. elects a female President or even chooses a female Vice-President?

We should be embarrassed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections