Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You need to get past the "bitter" comment and go to the next sentence.

"clinging to their guns and religion". That's the real problem.

Well, that's what REDNECKS do, don't you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"Obviously, if I worded things in a way that made people offended, I deeply regret that,” Obama said in a phone interview with the Winston-Salem Journal. “But the underlying truth of what I said remains, which is simply that people who have seen their way of life upended because of economic distress are frustrated and rightfully so.”

Please tell me what is false about this statement.

Obama went out to San Fran and in a moment of openness referred to small town Pennsylvanians as bitter, gun-toting bible thumpers. Now he's backtracking. The statement is a clear indicator of what he really thinks of small town America.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Obama went out to San Fran and in a moment of openness referred to small town Pennsylvanians as bitter, gun-toting bible thumpers. Now he's backtracking. The statement is a clear indicator of what he really thinks of small town America.

Truth hurts huh!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You need to get past the "bitter" comment and go to the next sentence.

"clinging to their guns and religion". That's the real problem.
It’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations,” Obama said at the fundraiser.

I dont have a gun, but I definitely cling to religion when things get tough. (I'm always there, but it's the first place I go in times of trouble.)

In apologizing he rephrased what he'd said:

“Obviously, if I worded things in a way that made people offended, I deeply regret that,” Obama said in a phone interview with the Winston-Salem Journal. “But the underlying truth of what I said remains, which is simply that people who have seen their way of life upended because of economic distress are frustrated and rightfully so.”

This is not hateful, is it?

It appears to me he was saying that when people are worried and frustrated they look for things to make them feel better, and for things to blame their worries on. We all do this. And we're encouraged to by those who would benefit!

He was saying that people are worried as a result of disastrous economic decisions made under the Clinton and Bush presidencies.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,269,718 times
Quote:
He put the debate out there as another thread indicated to help them; Hillary and McCain will have to respond (besides whining about semantics).

"What have you done for me lately" ??

Are there any more debates or we wait till the GE ??

Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,103 times
Wow, the Obama supporters on here are no better than he is! Why is ok for you all to generalize about small town America, calling us all rednecks but when something is said that is a general statement about blacks, we're racist? You all are really playing both sides of the coin with your candidate and it is really getting bad. You all are coming across as elitist snobs who think you are all so supremely intelligent and better than everyone else just like Obama.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Oh my goodness, he did not.

Please post the quote in which he says this.

In order to really discuss we have to try to exchange facts - we need to try to stay credible.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,454 times
OBAMA HAS INSULTED MILLIONS OF LAW ABIDING AMERICANS IN SMALL TOWNS BY SAYING THAT WE ARE BITTER AND HOLD ON TO OUR GUNS AND BIBLES.

HE IS INSINUATING THAT EVERY AMERICAN WHO LIVES A A SMALL TOWN IS A REDNECK

THAT IS AN INSULT.

LET ME GIVE YOU ANOTHER FRAME OF REFERENCE

IF I SAID THAT ALL OBAMA SUPPORTERS ATE FRIED CHICKEN AND WATERMELLON MANY PEOPLE WOULD BE UPSET

NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

HE HAS STEREOTYPED SMALL TOWN AMERICA.....AS REDNECK

IT'S JUST WRONG
IT'S INTOLERANCE
obama is wrong!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,408 times
^^^

You're seriously trolling now!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Wow, the Obama supporters on here are no better than he is! Why is ok for you all to generalize about small town America, calling us all rednecks but when something is said that is a general statement about blacks, we're racist? You all are really playing both sides of the coin with your candidate and it is really getting bad. You all are coming across as elitist snobs who think you are all so supremely intelligent and better than everyone else just like Obama.
You talkin' to me? I'm not exactly an Obama supporter but Im not calling anyone a redneck.

I dont perceive that he thinks he's better than everyone else. And I dont see him as elitist. Selling out the country to the highest bidder, now that's elitist. I dont see Obama as a puppet for the corporations that are eating us all alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections