Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 09:38 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,269,792 times

Advertisements

Hillary Does Her Best Mitt Romney Impression
Quote:
“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.
“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.” ...
"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."
Quote:
Theda Skocpol writes in ...
I have been in meetings with the Clintons and their advisors where very clinical things were said in a very-detached tone about unwillingness of working class voters to trust government -- and Bill Clinton -- and about their unfortunate (from a Clinton perspective) proclivity to vote on life-style rather than economic issues. To see Hillary going absolutely over the top to smash Obama for making clearly more humanly sympathetic observations in this vein, is just amazing. Even more so to see her pretending to be a gun-toting non-elite. Give us a break! I wonder if she realizes that gaining a few days of lurid publicity that might reach a slice of voters is going to cost her a great deal in the regard of many Democrats, whose strong support she will need if she somehow claws her way to the nomination -- and even more so if she does not clinch the nomination. The distribution of "we're not bitter" stickers to her campaign rallies is the height of over-the-top crudity, and the reports are that very few audience members seem to have much enthusiasm for this nonsense. Not surprisingly, people cannot see the reasons for so much fuss.

Yes, she wants a big break, she desperately wants the nomination she and Bill believe is hers by right. We all know that. But where is her authenticity and her dignity and her sense of any proportion?

This has to be one of the few times in U.S. political history when a multi-millionaire has accused a much less wealthy fellow public servant, a person of the same party and views who made much less lucrative career choices, of "elitism"! (I won't say the only time, because U.S. political history is full of absurdities of this sort.) In a way, it is funny -- and it may not be long before the jokes start.
Talking Points Memo | For it, Before She Was Against It

YouTube - Barack Obama in Muncie, Indiana

Obama's reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:47 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,281 times
Not really. Here's a definition for you:

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism Audio Help (ĭ-lē'tĭz'əm, ā-lē'-) Pronunciation Key (broken link)
n.
  1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
It's not all about money. It's about how he and his wife act like they are better than everyone b/c of their Ivy league education and tell the rest of us we are racist if we don't vote for a black man.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM

270 posts, read 526,963 times
[quote=austinsmom;3455305]Not really. Here's a definition for you:

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism = Barack Obama

Old 04-15-2008, 03:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,481 times
Hillary + Bill = ($109 million dollar salary) = Elitist
This is more of a true definition that you won't see in the dictionary.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Over 7 or 8 years, not in one year. Check out Osama and Michelle....they aren't exactly eating in soup kitchens when she's getting massive salaries from hospital boards. It's about his attitude not the money but Osama supporters don't seem to be able to read.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:02 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
That's $109 mil over 8 years....most of it a former president's books and speeches.

In 2006 the Obamas adjusted gross income was $983,826; in 2005 it was $1.67 million.

Does that make him more in tune with your salary or that of middle America?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,269,792 times
yeah 1 million compared to to 10 million .......this is middle American education??

AND THE GOP will smack Hillary on Mobsters from kazardstan and China more than Obama has, especially Uranium mines

Old 04-16-2008, 07:21 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Heaven-forbid we ever elect someone who could be considered a part of the intellectual "elite" - a self-made Harvard Law Review President, acclaimed author, and all-around smart guy. We should just elect your average joe - you know a simple, friendly, beer-drinking frat guy who got a pass in life because of his lineage who people like to have fun with. Oh wait. We did that already.

The true "elites," in the derogatory sense of the word, are the people like George W Bush who attained power through privileged ancestry and the affirmative action that is legacy college enrollment and string-pulling by your pappy. Obama is elitist in the sense that he is smarter than most of us and has achieved more than most of us. I frankly want this type of 'elitist" running the country, especially after the past 7 years of this country being run by a true elitist, a truly privileged imbecile.

America is ready for a smart person as president - for a change.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,481 times
Hillary's huge salary is just part of the equation. Yes, Obama is definitely more in tune with the hard working American and by no means an "elitist". Hillary is throwing this word around to make herself look better and she is no position to talk. Lets talk facts instead of perception. Who is looking down upon people? Hillary. She is the one that hasn't paid people who provided her services back in Ohio. These hard working people deserve their money that is owed to them from her campaign. Oh, I know, she is "special" and doesn't need to pay these people. After all, she is HILLARY CLINTON. People should provide services for free. Right? Give me a break. I'd say she is looking down upon people. She is the one with all talk and no substance, not Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections