Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 AM

143 posts, read 651,995 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I consider myself "Elite", isn't that a good thing? Don't we want a candidate who thinks they are elite? Elite is good. If they don't think they are elite, why would they run for President? I want someone one is at the top to lead. I want someone smarter, more wordly, and all around better than the average joe to be president. Isn't this the definition of elite?

As a side note, I think its safe to say that given what we know about our Founding Fathers, they would all be considered "Elitists".

Also, this post is in defense of Elitism, not Arrogance. Two different things.

Am I the only one who would take "elitist" as a compliment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but if I consider myself "Elite", isn't that a good thing? Don't we want a candidate who thinks they are elite? Elite is good. If they don't think they are elite, why would they run for President? I want someone one is at the top to lead. I want someone smarter, more wordly, and all around better than the average joe to be president. Isn't this the definition of elite?

As a side note, I think its safe to say that given what we know about our Founding Fathers, they would all be considered "Elitists".

Also, this post is in defense of Elitism, not Arrogance. Two different things.

Am I the only one who would take "elitist" as a compliment?
I think that if you look up a definition for "elite" and "elitism," you will see a difference.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:12 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
You're right, being called "elitist" shouldn't be an insult. And traditionally, all of our leaders have been well educated at the top academic institutions. Even in the military, if one wanted to be a career officer and get to the top, doing well at a military academy like West Point was mandatory. And while some like to think that only someone who was poor at one point can really relate to their suffering, but being sympathetic to those without money is not enough to be a good leader.

Someone that went to a top college and took courses in economics, political science, world history is more likely to be better equipped to run a country. There are many good lessons to be learned from our past. And the top experts on politics and economics will be the ones teaching at the top schools. Also, I know from my stepdad's family (his grandfather roomed with FDR at both Groton and Harvard) that most young people of his background were send abroad for a year after their college graduation to help find themselves and to see the world. Again, having that world perspective is important. But the person from a more working class background would make a good advisor or cabinet member to that leader.

Otherwise, while not every well educated elitist person is presidential material, they can still do good work for those in need. For instance, in our area Joseph Patrick Kennedy founded the Citizens Energy Corporation which makes available affordable heating oil to low income families.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,296 times
When the French guillotined a few Monarchs then it became unfashionable and of course determintal.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
OK, I'll try this thread to see if I can get an answer to this:

Does anyone think that a totally unknown person with no/little education , no experience, a person with no money, no Washington or political connections, no knowledge of the "system", no personal network of people in politics ...in other words NOT an elitist.....

could have a chance of running for and winning the presidency ???

Old 04-16-2008, 10:24 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Gee, someone watched the Daily Show ...Stewart gave the same diatribe a couple days ago, only it was funny.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Does anyone think that a totally unknown person with no/little education , no experience, a person with no money, no Washington or political connections, no knowledge of the "system", no personal network of people in politics ...in other words NOT an elitist.....

So if you have an education you are an elitist?
If you have experience you are an elitist?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think that if you look up a definition for "elite" and "elitism," you will see a difference.
Fair enough, I guess it depends on your definition. Here's two very different definitions:

e·lit·ism Audio Help/ɪˈlitɪzəm, eɪˈli-/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-lee-tiz-uhm, ey-lee-]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation–noun

1.practice of or belief in rule by an elite.

2.consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism Audio Help (ĭ-lē'tĭz'əm, ā-lē'-) Pronunciation Key (broken link)
n.
  1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
    1. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
    2. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Better question: Would you want them to?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
Give John Stewart proper credit.

Another example of the "fake news" getting it so right when the "real news" getting it so wrong. The best stuff starts around 7:30 minutes.... John Stewart on this Obama "elitist" flap.

Gaffe-In | The Daily Show With Jon Stewart | Comedy Central
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections