Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 03:26 PM

26,233 posts, read 49,112,227 times

Advertisements

Timing of this is laughable. Trump is a known racist. Today was the funeral for John Lewis, a titan of the Civil Rights Movement. The one black man Trump hates most in all the world is Barrack Obama, who spoke today at the funeral for Lewis. Trump is not about to let either of those black men be at the top of today's news cycle, so he dropped this bomb to grab the spotlight for himself, as he always does ... me ... me ... me ... me
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 03:43 PM

5,937 posts, read 4,706,565 times
The more I think about it, if Trump wanted to delay the election, he'd just wind up being ousted anyway.

Elections are run at the state level not the federal level. The states send their delegations (Congressmen, Senators and Electors) to DC. If a state does not hold an election, the terms of all of their representatives would expire. They would not have anyone sworn in to replace them and would cease to have representation in Congress. A state like Colorado that does 100% mail-in ballots anyway, would simply send their delegation in January. So would many other states not under Trump's sway.

So, Republican states that might delay the election but other states with Democratic legislatures and governors would hold the Constitutionally mandated election as scheduled - so in all likelihood, we'd simply have a highly Democratic House and Senate and Biden as President due to Republican states sending no new Senators, no Congressmen and no Electors.

It seems that Republican politicians are pushing back at the idea of delaying the election - which is good. That would singlehandedly destroy democracy as we know it. However, if for some reasons some states did not hold an election, they would just not be represented. The federal government would just go on without them. And you damn well know that Senators and Congressmen are not about to cede power like that.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,228,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Sorry but I'll be at the poll. I'll be damned if I'm going to get a government agency as a middle man to take possession of my vote before its counted and act as a middle man to deliver it.

Not sure what the hell you're talking about. You can do the research you need to do at your kitchen table BEFORE you actually go in.

I think the current generation is getting lazy.

I live In Oregon and vote by mail is the way we vote.

I'm 66 BTW

Old 07-30-2020, 04:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
It's all about the signature. The sealed ballot is mailed to you at your address of record. When you register to vote, you must supply a valid signature and ID. my wife tried to "absentee" vote for my daughter who was out of the country at the time. Her signature did not match our daughters and it was invalidated.
Good to know, thanks!
CO has had mail in ballots forever - ie, a number of years.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:26 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,228,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why do I have a feeling that if Hillary was President and she was talking about postponing the election due to the virus and mail in voting not being secure enough that she would be praised for being so concerned about the American people and their health in not forcing them to go to the polls while also being exalted for honoring the sanctity of the vote by waiting to ensure better security for it?

Absentee ballots are one thing but mailing in an entire election? What could possibly go wrong?

We only need to look as far as who is all for it. If mail in voting benefited the Republicans would the Dems be pushing for it so hard?

I think it's very interesting that the Republicans best chance of winning is by suppressing the vote. The more people vote, the better Democrats do.

BTW-Mail in voting has worked well in Oregon for years with far less problems then Diebold machines.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:48 PM

32,820 posts, read 19,516,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Citing the expansion of mail-in ballots, Trump has tweeted the possibility of delaying the election...constitution be damned.
uhm

he did NOT "Call for a delay"....he asked a question

why do liberals always lie.....

Old 07-30-2020, 04:52 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,429,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

he did NOT "Call for a delay"....he asked a question

why do liberals always lie.....
Did you see his press conference today?

He's basically calling for a delay.

There was no indication from his answers that the tweet was in jest.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:06 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,096,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Did you see his press conference today?

He's basically calling for a delay.

There was no indication from his answers that the tweet was in jest.
"I don't kid"- Donald Trump.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:22 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,429,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
"I don't kid"- Donald Trump.
Trump Apologist: "He was kidding".

Translation: What he said was so outrageous that I obviously can't ascribe the plain meaning to it that he gave it and still maintain other beliefs such as support for free, fair and democratic elections, so I'll say he was kidding so I can maintain the cognitive dissonance while voting Trump.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:26 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,062,917 times
I do not support any delays in the election process. Does the Constitution mean nothing?

Calendar year 2020 is certifiably BANANAS. I'm expecting a giant asteroid in October, and Space Aliens in November, and the Dead to Rise from their graves in December, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections