Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Our very first President "John Hanson" was black. Now everybody is going to scream that George Washington was first. But he was not. He was the 8th president, but the first under the new constitution.
I happened upon this thread through almighty google, and I just had to point out that you are wrong on both counts... John Hanson was neither black nor our first president...

He was the third President of the Continental Congress following Samuel Huntington and Thomas McKean.

The myth that he was black was introduced and distributed by a black comedian named Dick Gregory who writes an on-line column called Global Watch. His grandfather was a slave, of sorts... but a slave because of a debt he owed, and eventually re-paid.

As far as whether America would elect a black president, I say why the heck not? Obama? No. Powell? Yes. This election, I doubt there will be an african american president, but sometime soon, I hope to see it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM

310 posts, read 1,196,977 times
I agree Powell would be something to pay closer attention to. To say someone other than George Washington was our first president is ridiculous to say the least. EW

Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,402 times
George Washington was the first President of the United States.... PERIOD.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 PM

316 posts, read 596,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuCoop21 View Post

"Obama did not -- does not -- share a heritage with the majority of black Americans, who are descendants of plantation slaves," wrote African-American newspaper columnist Stanley Crouch last month in an article entitled "Barack Obama -- Not Black Like Me."

Is it because many of these people (and groups) that have become powerful during the civil rights movement (like Jesse Jackson) don't want to face the truth that America has actually come very far in its racial tolerance and if that fact were exposed that they would lose power?

Another quote from the article put it this way: "There's a feeling that if white folks like him so much he must not be good for us. For some blacks it's a turn-off."

Any opinions out there?
I wonder? Do blacks - who always voted in previous elections - consider the heritage of who they voted for in the past. Say Jimmy Carter, or Bill Clinton - did anybody know their heritage before or even aftere they were President?
Why would they vote on Heritage...

How would blacks lose power if an African American wins the White House? I mean - that's power - and major respect.

I don't know - anybody who is liked too much by one race is a detractor for another. RFK was beloved by all. Mr. Reagan had a very high rating. Bill Clinton... I guess the African American's must love Bush... at least according to that rational!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,488 times
In response to WazzuCoop21 statement, "having what our European ancestors did to certain ethnic groups thrown in our face" ..blacks have moved on, and continue to do so, but how can we not throw it up in your face, when whites, bigots constantly bring it up everyday, all day! Black people are constantly reminded of our past by racial slurs, stereotypes, just to remind us that we are descendants of slaves, or were once thought of as second-class citizens in the country..it happens all the time...whites still give me and my children dirty looks, mouth the words N----r while passing in their cars (AS USUAL) too cowardly to do it to our face!! And just show their total disdain for blacks in general. Your generation will always have to deal with this until this attitude changes, and pass racist view stop being handed down to children and grandchildren. I know that whites have done a lot for blacks and minorities in this country, from hiding slaves in the earlier centuries, to marching with us in the 60's for civil rights...I have to give it up for white people. As an Obama supporter (not just because he's black- I didn't vote for Jesse or Al, by the way), we do recognize that without the white vote, he would NOT be the Democrat running for President.
But please know that not just your ancestors, but those living TODAY are the reason racism is a contant problem...Peace & Blessings

Old 11-04-2008, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,473 times
There has always been a small amount of whites who believe that there is no difference between black and white. There is good in all races and bad. God is the ultimate judge of the heart of each individual. The reason that Barack Obama may win is because everyone is not prejuidice. There are very good white people out there and I believe they deserve more credit than they are being given. Some blacks are prejuidice and in some other races too. Good people are good people regardless of color. Lets not forget that blacks were always helped by whites in America and because of these very special "God" fearing people we were able to exel in all areas of life. We are all the same and each one of us process potential. Who cares about color, what about character. For whatever it's worth, if you really believe in "GOD" and his ultimate purpose, you know that we all came from Adam and Eve. Superiority lies within the wicked one. We are all dust who go back to the ground. Rich or poor, black or white, we all go to the grave. So I ask you, who's superior? No one.

Last edited by josh789; 11-04-2008 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Left out an important factor about white america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections