Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,174,209 times

Advertisements

I am not crazy about McCain, but the Republicans will fall in line and those Democrats that cannot justify voting for Obama will go for McCain (white men, blue collar men, women that backed Clinton).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,346,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
some of you people are just closed minded, self serving, and non caring. We have freed Iraq from a tyrannical dictator, we are keeping them safe from killers, all you seem to care about is this country of 300 million, while you forget the other 6.2 billion people on earth. Why do we need to leave the middle east when we are fighting killers, the people who destroyed the twin towers, the people who commit senseless crimes against all people, the very same people who kill the innocent. YOU DON'T CARE DO YOU??!?!?!?!?!?!
Though cloaked in this B/S, most US foreign Policy has NOTHING to do with freedom overseas - if it did, why didn't we step in in Africa where killing is going on pretty much ALL THE TIME. In this case it has to do with securing US interests and vital materials (ie oil).

The fact is, the War in Iraq need never have happened. Saddam was long neutralized and is WMDs already gone. Though Saddam was involved with the Palestinian terror, he had NO involvement with al Qaeda - and in fact al Qaeda generally considered him an enemy of Islam since - though he was a dictator - he was largely a SECULAR dictator.

I care about the Iraqis but I don't think we needed to be there, and I'm not sure we are actually making things any better. In the meantime, it's draining our country dry.

Ken

Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am not crazy about McCain, but the Republicans will fall in line and those Democrats that cannot justify voting for Obama will go for McCain (white men, blue collar men, women that backed Clinton).
Some will, but it won't be NEARLY enough - but if it makes you feel better to think that, go right ahead, at least you'll be blissful for another 6 months.

Ken

Old 05-08-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Some will, but it won't be NEARLY enough - but if it makes you feel better to think that, go right ahead, at least you'll be blissful for another 6 months.

Ken

It doesn't make me feel one way or another, just my opinion on what will happen. I just don't see the majority of Clinton's supporters voting for Obama. As usual, the left does not see this country realistically. Most lean to the middle or someplace around the middle, not way out there on the left fringes.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
It doesn't make me feel one way or another, just my opinion on what will happen. I just don't see the majority of Clinton's supporters voting for Obama. As usual, the left does not see this country realistically. Most lean to the middle or someplace around the middle, not way out there on the left fringes.
Actually the vast majority of Clinton supporters WILL vote for Obama. Some of the hard-core people won't but most Democrats recognize that they are pretty much the same in their political views and actually MANY Democrats have had a hard time choosing between them. Wayyyyyyy too much has been made about the conflict between them. The reality is FAR different.

Ken

Old 05-08-2008, 08:43 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,693,751 times
Quote:
Though cloaked in this B/S, most US foreign Policy has NOTHING to do with freedom overseas - if it did, why didn't we step in in Africa where killing is going on pretty much ALL THE TIME. In this case it has to do with securing US interests and vital materials (ie oil).

The fact is, the War in Iraq need never have happened. Saddam was long neutralized and is WMDs already gone. Though Saddam was involved with the Palestinian terror, he had NO involvement with al Qaeda - and in fact al Qaeda generally considered him an enemy of Islam since - though he was a dictator - he was largely a SECULAR dictator.

I care about the Iraqis but I don't think we needed to be there, and I'm not sure we are actually making things any better. In the meantime, it's draining our country dry.

Ken
How does the war in Iraq have anything to do with oil? We couldnt just take it and would they really offer it at a lower price? Mostly my comment was directed at the OP

Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Actually the vast majority of Clinton supporters WILL vote for Obama. Some of the hard-core people won't but most Democrats recognize that they are pretty much the same in their political views and actually MANY Democrats have had a hard time choosing between them. Wayyyyyyy too much has been made about the conflict between them. The reality is FAR different.

Ken
Why will Clinton supporters take a chance on Obama when they can vote for McCain who is actually more of an independent than a republican. He has gone against the republicans about as much as with them on most issues. He is a safer choice for Clinton supporters.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
How does the war in Iraq have anything to do with oil? We couldnt just take it and would they really offer it at a lower price? Mostly my comment was directed at the OP
War is almost ALWAYS about resources one way or another. Somebody wants what somebody else has - or at the very least they want access to it.

In the case of Iraq, the administration had several goals - one of them was to establish an Arab democracy in the Middle East that would hopefully serve as a model for other Arab nations, another was to establish a US presence in the area (perhaps perminantly), and yet another was to open up Iraqs oil reserves to the US.

In of themselves, none of these were bad objectives, the problem is, the actual execution was horribly bungled - initially by Rumsfeld - who went in with barely enough troops to win the conflict but not NEARLY enough to control the country, then later by Bremer - who spent most of his time in Iraq hiding in the Green Zone and completely out of touch with things as the situation deteriorated around him, before scurrying out as fast as possible once his time was up. The fact that Junior awarded that clown the Presidential Medal of Freedom is true evidence of just how incompetent Bush is.

And of course on top of all this the President made mistake after mistake. Finally NOW he's PROBABLY on the right track - longgggg after the American public has given up on the war and the cost of it has virtualy bankrupted us.

So yeah, to a large degree it WAS about oil.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-08-2008 at 09:59 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Why will Clinton supporters take a chance on Obama when they can vote for McCain who is actually more of an independent than a republican. He has gone against the republicans about as much as with them on most issues. He is a safer choice for Clinton supporters.
To a large degree because of his position on the war. Democrats are largely fed up with it.

Secondly, he is (either right or wrong) stained by his association with Bush.

Personally, I like the guy and am VERY HAPPY this election, because (though I prefer Obama) I'm actually OK with any one of the 3 remaining candidates.

As you mention, he WILL get some Democratic defectors, but I don't think nearly enough to overcome the Democratic tidal wave that is coming.

Ken

Old 05-08-2008, 09:15 PM

600 posts, read 1,084,190 times
Quote:
exactly, McCain and Hillary have more in common than McCain and Obama AND Hillary and Obama...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections