Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:42 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times

Advertisements

Why not? Will the rise of Barack Obama alienate even more Minorities from the GOP?

Quote:
The Politico -- Republican Party has no minority candidates "with a plausible chance of winning:" "Just a few years after the Republican Party launched a highly publicized diversity effort, the GOP is heading into the 2008 election without a single minority candidate with a plausible chance of winning a campaign for the House, the Senate or governor. ... Jack Kemp, the former Republican congressman and vice presidential nominee, says the culprit is clear: a 'pitiful' recruitment effort by his party. 'I don't see much of an outreach,' he said. 'I don't see much of a reason to run.' "
What's new: GOP has no 'plausible' minority candidates; McCain's 'thorny' problem - On Politics - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 11:50 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Oooh, can we inject another racial issue into this election? But it never was about race, it's about "entitlements." The Democrats are historically viewed as the party of handouts. Republicans prefer to support other countries rather than lazy Americans.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:52 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Oooh, can we inject another racial issue into this election? But it never was about race, it's about "entitlements." The Democrats are historically viewed as the party of handouts. Republicans prefer to support other countries rather than lazy Americans.
I think they're catching up.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,696 times
yeah... b/c only Americans can be lazy.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:26 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Why not? Will the rise of Barack Obama alienate even more Minorities from the GOP?

What's new: GOP has no 'plausible' minority candidates; McCain's 'thorny' problem - On Politics - USATODAY.com
While it's true that the Republican Party really doesn't want too many people of color within its leadership ranks -- and I'm going to get into some trouble with my fellow Obama supporters -- the Democratic Party hasn't shown that it's a whole lot better.

The rise of Barack Obama as the presumptive presidential nominee has brought out some of the worst race-baiting by Democrats that I've ever seen. And I'm afraid that the Party has been permanently damaged.

Back to the GOP. To say that the Republican Party has few viable candidates of color is stating the obvious. The vast majority of Republicans don't want a diverse party. They still prefer their leadership to be reflectively white and male. Unfortunately, that's not what America is anymore. In fact, in Hawaii, California, New Mexico and Texas, there is no white majority. So if the Republican Senators of those states are all white (the GOP has no Senators in Hawaii or California) it doesn't take a lot to see that the majority of the Party wants it that way.

I'd suggest that the GOP learn from the Democrat Party. Face the reality that leaders at high levels don't have to be white, and they don't have to be self-loathing people of color. Face that reality, and then embrace it.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:38 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
While it's true that the Republican Party really doesn't want too many people of color within its leadership ranks -- and I'm going to get into some trouble with my fellow Obama supporters -- the Democratic Party hasn't shown that it's a whole lot better.

The rise of Barack Obama as the presumptive presidential nominee has brought out some of the worst race-baiting by Democrats that I've ever seen. And I'm afraid that the Party has been permanently damaged.
I personally agree with you, but at the same time, I think the horrible race-baiting done throughout the primaries at very least, opens up an oppurtunity for dialogue within the party on the issue of race.

At the same time,
the race+class issue raised during the primary gives the Barack Obama campaign a chance to better strategize for the general election with McCain as its all but assured the GOP will seize on this issue and intensify their attacks.

Quote:
Back to the GOP. To say that the Republican Party has few viable candidates of color is stating the obvious. The vast majority of Republicans don't want a diverse party.
Hence the "what's so great about diversity?" threads that always seem to pop up.

LOL

I suppose they think America should revert to a time when we were perceived as being more wholesome-Im sure theyre intentions are innocent enough. I however, would replace the word "wholesome" with "oppressed"-and not just racially.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,761 times
GOP constituency is anti-minority. Why would they want to recruit minorities?

Old 05-20-2008, 12:46 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post

Back to the GOP. To say that the Republican Party has few viable candidates of color is stating the obvious. The vast majority of Republicans don't want a diverse party. They still prefer their leadership to be reflectively white and male. Unfortunately, that's not what America is anymore. In fact, in Hawaii, California, New Mexico and Texas, there is no white majority. So if the Republican Senators of those states are all white (the GOP has no Senators in Hawaii or California) it doesn't take a lot to see that the majority of the Party wants it that way.

I'd suggest that the GOP learn from the Democrat Party. Face the reality that leaders at high levels don't have to be white, and they don't have to be self-loathing people of color. Face that reality, and then embrace it.
I'm sure you believe that the Republicans don't want "people of color" in leadership positions, but you are wrong. I imagine you are driven by emotions and this is how you "feel".

John McCain has a "person of color" on the vp short list. I guess reality doesn't fit into your victimhood way of looking at everything. Thank God people of all colors are moving past this crap and realizing they can do what they set their minds to and are not being held down by the "man". How '60's.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 PM

317 posts, read 496,705 times
The republicans have Condoleezza Rice, JC Watts, Colin Powell, Alan Keyes, and Michael Steele, while the democrats have Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Barrack Obama.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
I'm sure you believe that the Republicans don't want "people of color" in leadership positions, but you are wrong. I imagine you are driven by emotions and this is how you "feel".

John McCain has a "person of color" on the vp short list. I guess reality doesn't fit into your victimhood way of looking at everything. Thank God people of all colors are moving past this crap and realizing they can do what they set their minds to and are not being held down by the "man". How '60's.
The reality is that Jack Kemp, a Reagan conservative, is on record as stating that the GOP's recruitment effort of men and women of color is "pitiful". He's more in a position of knowledge than me. But if you know better, then more power to you.

"The man"??? Wow, are you out of date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections