Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 PM

654 posts, read 1,211,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The Definition of Conservative; How to Define Conservatism

Here's a start to educate your narrow mind. I'll be back later to post MORE.

Don't even bother. They don't care. All they know is conservative = evil, because that's what moveon.org, George Soros, Al Gore, etc. told them. Independent thought and research need not apply.

And as far as media control is concerned, I wonder if the enlightened lovers of liberalism and "freedom" realize that it is Democrats who implemented, and are working to bring, back the so called Fairness Doctrine as a means to substantially weaken and eliminate radio programming that doesn't parrot the liberal/leftist agenda. If that isn't fascism then I don't know what is.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:31 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
If that isn't fascism then I don't know what is.

That's right, you don't know what is. Though you show a somewhat Goebbelsesque talent for sophistry and twisting the truth 180 degrees---such as stating that increasing the power of the common people is fascism and stating that being open minded is evidence of being closed minded.

Difference being that Goebbels for all his faults was very intelligent, whereas you for all your faults........

Old 06-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's right, you don't know what is. Though you show a somewhat Goebbelsesque talent for sophistry and twisting the truth 180 degrees---such as stating that increasing the power of the common people is fascism and stating that being open minded is evidence of being closed minded.

Difference being that Goebbels for all his faults was very intelligent, whereas you for all your faults........

Do you even know what you are saying?

Why not try addressing my point, which was that it is the liberals/left that are pushing the Fairness Doctrine as a means to silence conservative radio programs.

I guess throwing around Nazi references and other insults like a child is much easier than actually having to defend an issue though. How very intelligent

Old 06-09-2008, 01:37 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Do you even know what you are saying?

Why not try addressing my point, which was that it is the liberals/left that are pushing the Fairness Doctrine as a means to silence conservative radio programs.

I guess throwing around Nazi references and other insults like a child is much easier than actually having to defend an issue though. How very intelligent

I always know what I'm saying.

The fairness doctrine increases the level of real democracy by negating the effects of corporate and personal wealth which can give some people more political power than they've a right to; economic power should not translate into political power. By the nature of things media outlets are owned by-----owners. Capitalists. Thus the rightward tilt of the media and the difficulty of getting opposing views heard.

Increasing the level of democracy is not fascism.

That you've a Goebbelsesque tendancy for lying and twisting the truth is your problem not mine. You just don't like being called out on it I reckon, who would?

Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
Thus the rightward tilt of the media and the difficulty of getting opposing views heard.
Face it; Left-wing talk radio fails because people don't want to hear their hate-mongering (Air America). Does anybody listen to that show?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Face it; Left-wing talk radio fails because people don't want to hear their hate-mongering (Air America). Does anybody listen to that show?

Talk radio is not the topic. ...nice try at a red herring though

You have no disagreeement with the OP so I guess """ you don't disagree??""

BTW, Air America is not a "show". And left wing talk shows are not failing

Old 06-10-2008, 01:06 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
To respond to the OP's primary question as asked in the header

What Rep/neocons BELIEVE & Do-Ready to Vote?

I think it would help to keep in mind that what a Republican believes is as varied as snow flakes, but at least neoconservative is more narrowly defined.

Can we honestly say the Democratic Party is comprised of a homogeneous block of voters who all vote and think alike? Of course not.

By the same notion, there are a great number of conservative minded people who reject contemporary Republicanism and most definitely reject neoconservatism wholesale.

The biggest single distinction between neoconservatism and paleoconservatism is in foreign policy. Traditionally, conservatives have tended to be less interventionist minded and preferred that America takes care of its own people and back yard before heading off to interject into the affairs of other nations, most notably by military means. It is a rather liberal or progressive idea to "spread" or advance democracy, our way of life, or our ideals, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to do so. It is when the progressing of Americanism (for lack of a better word) comes at the point of a sword where most liberals leave off and where neoconservatism takes up. I happen to think this is an idea that is rejected by true conservatives and liberals alike.

The contemporary Republican Party is not the party I grew up knowing as it has almost all but abandoned notions such as smaller government, fiscal responsibility, strong national defense(not offense) , no new nation building or a lessened participation in foreign intervention. etc...

My point of this post is to attempt to erase these tendencies we have of trying to compartmentalize everything into neat boxes as though political parties are either this or that, represent one way of thinking or another, as that is simply not true and discounts much of the dynamics within each party themselves. While I to a degree actually agree with some of the basis of the contemporary GOP being more akin to a form of soft fascism today, this in no way quantifies the entirety of the GOP, but in fact a shrinking mind set of a faction of it.

But MOM, she started it! ""What Dems/Libs BELIEVE - Ready to vote?""

Just my not-so-subtle way of making a point.

And while I agree with most of your post, not all Republicans favor Fascism,there leaders do and a good many Reps in here do.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I always know what I'm saying.

The fairness doctrine increases the level of real democracy by negating the effects of corporate and personal wealth which can give some people more political power than they've a right to; economic power should not translate into political power. By the nature of things media outlets are owned by-----owners. Capitalists. Thus the rightward tilt of the media and the difficulty of getting opposing views heard.

Increasing the level of democracy is not fascism.

That you've a Goebbelsesque tendancy for lying and twisting the truth is your problem not mine. You just don't like being called out on it I reckon, who would?
ROFLMAO!!!!!

And you dare accuse me of twisting the truth. That's a good one!

I take it then that you approve of having the government mandate and approve views and opinions that are deemed acceptable to be expressed on the radio. Because that is exactly what you are saying. And then to top it off you have the nerve of calling that democracy!!!
There are already two stations, NPR and Air America, whose entire format is to air left wing views and opinions. And NPR is even publicly funded!!! These stations fail miserably when compared to conservative programs - no one wants to listen to them. So now you, in all your wisdom, want the government to step in to silence opposing viewpoints because people prefer them. You can deny this as much as you want but the FACT of the matter is that you want to use government power to shut down and squash conservative speech. That is the very definition of fascism no matter how much you may want to deny it by throwing juvenile Nazi references around.

I also find your disdain for capitalism humorous, especially since you obviously have absolutely no clue how it works. You want to know why conservative radio dominates the airwaves? It is because there is a demand for it. You see, capitalists will support and sponsor things that make them money. When it comes to radio programs, companies will spend their money to sponsor and advertise on shows that people acutally listen to, thus giving them an avenue to make their company known. On the flip side, companies do not spend their money to advertise on stations or programs that do not attract an audience.

People listen to conservative radio, and advertisers realize this and sponsor those programs. Meanwhile, you have a left wing station like Air America that is in constant financal trouble, always losing affiliates, and cannot keep sponsors because no one is listening.

This very basic overview of economics should be something that is common knowledge but it is obvious that you have no concept of this. All you see is that left wing radio is failing, and instead of realizing that this is because people don't want to hear it when presented with other options you want to get rid of the other options all together. Like I said, fascism.

Now go ahead and call me Goebbelsesque, or some other clever Nazi reference.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,980,816 times
Quote:
The Definition of Conservative; How to Define Conservatism

Here's a start to educate your narrow mind. I'll be back later to post MORE.
An exerpt:

...they insist that as a society we must maximize virtue, sometimes even at the expense of freedom.

Probably the most unAmerican sentence one could utter and the exact OPPOSITE of conservativism. People in office who implement this should be immediately arrested for treason and either deported to the nearest country run as a theocracy or shot by firing squad.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
An exerpt:

...they insist that as a society we must maximize virtue, sometimes even at the expense of freedom.

Probably the most unAmerican sentence one could utter and the exact OPPOSITE of conservativism. People in office who implement this should be immediately arrested for treason and either deported to the nearest country run as a theocracy or shot by firing squad.

That is from the definition of social conservatives. Social conservatives give me the creeps also and are, I believe, the number one reason why the GOP is in such trouble. The GOP has pandered exclusively to social conservatives for far too long and this has had the effect of turning the party into a mainly neo-conservative one. No thank you.

As a conservative, I can honestly say that I and others that I know do not care very much at all for social conservatives (neocons) who are no better than liberals in that they want bigger government. Only whereas liberals want bigger government to take away our money to provide more and more welfare programs, social conservatives want it to tell people what they can and cannot do based on their religious beliefs. The scary thing is that both major parties appear to be taking both of these horrible traits and combining them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections